Army Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, that's exactly it.

I almost went spare in late November after intake. Just wanted to get out of the place for a break, just for one day, but had to wait until Christmas. Stood me in good stead in my first trip which was UNIFIL. Was last to go on leave, four and a half months in. I think the Coy Comdr was even a bit worried that I might go postal but after three months locked up in the shit hole that is the Curragh it was a breeze.

It got a lot more relaxed and routine in the last few months of the senior 'year' but as that has been reduced to only three months now I can't say if there is any '9 to 5 phase' now. There must be some of it though. I know there was a huge change a few years back and senior cadets were allowed to own and have cars on site at some stage. They'd only allow that if you could use the thing either inside or outside 'bounds'

Comment

• Originally posted by terrier View Post
      Ability to run distances is a big plus with some of the commandant training officers though.
      Totally agree. Anyone reading this thread hoping to get in and give themselves a bit of a head start - Cardio is King. Refer to my previous post. Try and incorporate hills and some weight on your back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jessup View Post
        Totally agree. Anyone reading this thread hoping to get in and give themselves a bit of a head start - Cardio is King. Refer to my previous post. Try and incorporate hills and some weight on your back.
        I live in a hilly area so there's lots of ups and downs on my runs, however what kind of distances would you advise angling at? I'm going unloaded for the mean time but in the past whilst less fit I've humped 35-40kg backpacks and on an expedition during this summer I had to carry two at one stage!

Comment

• That kind of weight is at the upper end of the scale so if you've got that on your back you're walking.

Not everyone has the time or location to do a 5 hour 'TAB' type training with that kind of weight so a more realistic option is a much smaller weight, at a moderate pace, in a shorter time, to exhaustion. Do one or two of those long, heavy TABs for sure if you can to give yourself confidence but my advice for what it is worth is in my previous post.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            Yep, try and get anyone in the PDF on the phone from the real world on a Wednesday. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.

The Air Corps does not get Wednesday Sports half day apart from apprentices in training!

Comment

• Please don't try and support any argument about work ethic by citing the 'Bluffwaffe'.

Comment

• I thought EVERY soldier got a sports afternoon on Wednesdays with a half-day Friday and late start (10:30hrs) on Mondays???
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Please don't try and support any argument about work ethic by citing the 'Bluffwaffe'.
                  And their suped-up spitfires
                  To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

'Bluffwaffe'....
                    Classic !!!
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

That comment about football might be a flippant remark based on the current COS but there are many anti GAA officers in the DF too as they perceive the GAA guys as getting special treatment.
                      The COS refers to this in his book, "The Earley Years". He wasn't the most popular cadet due to his inter-county commitments.
                      The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                      (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        Classic !!!
                        I have to own up that its not my creation. A perfect moniker based on my experience with them on the border in particular.

The Chopper is grounded
                        Why?
                        Weather

As in, the pilot is under the weather after going on the lash last night and every night on his rotation for that matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by WES View Post
                          "The Earley Years"..
                          cheesey....
                          But there's no danger
                          It's a professional career
                          Though it could be arranged
                          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                          If you're out of luck you're out of work
                          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• Didn't do him any harm !! In GAA or DF circles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              I thought EVERY soldier got a sports afternoon on Wednesdays with a half-day Friday and late start (10:30hrs) on Mondays???
                              Is that how it is in the Brits?

If so, I think I'm serving in the wrong army.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                Didn't do him any harm !! In GAA or DF circles
                                The GAA has nothing to do with it at that senior level. Remember the COS is a political appointment and the current man started that process a long time ago. Some would say shortly after leaving the womb :wink:

The Government learned sometime ago (i.e. Dave Stapleton) that picking the best man for the job might not always suit their agenda.

The Chiefs that came post Stapleton wouldn't exactly set the world on fire and that includes the incumbent. It's one thing to have a good hand shake and slap all the troops on the back. It's another thing entirely to take on the Minister and Simple Serpents in Parkgate.
                                Last edited by Jessup; 20 August 2009, 20:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X