Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army Officers

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like

Army Officers

Hi All

Please excuse the ignorance but I am hoping to apply for the upcoming intake of cadets in 2009. However I was wondering what do army officers actually do on a day to day basis in the Irish Army

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd encourage you to use the search function as there are other threads on this topic on the board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac28 View Post
    Hi All

Please excuse the ignorance but I am hoping to apply for the upcoming intake of cadets in 2009. However I was wondering what do army officers actually do on a day to day basis in the Irish Army
    Office work. Never ending filling out of paperwork and the like mixed with occassional weapons handling and short periods of peril.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac28 View Post
    Hi All

Mate welcome aboard

Dont think its ignorance not knowing what Officers do all day

I am 27 (ish) years in and I havent a clue what they do
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Mate welcome aboard

Dont think its ignorance not knowing what Officers do all day

I am 27 (ish) years in and I havent a clue what they do
    An officer with the same amount of service would prob say the same thing!
    Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksaga View Post
    An officer with the same amount of service would prob say the same thing!
    An Officer with the same amount of service would

probably get someone else to say it

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously have a look at this thread

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...light=officers

Post Thanks / Like
    Think line manager or department manager with all the associated logistics, welfare, financial and HR related issues and then theres the odd bit of soldiering thrown in. Man mangement being the priamry role, how to get the best from your people and look after them.
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    I am reliably informed that the 2009 Cadet Competition will be advertised
    in the Sunday papers this weekend...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont bother becoming an officer join the ranks if possible and see the real army - navy-aer corp for a while.its a different world

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    I am reliably informed that the 2009 Cadet Competition will be advertised
    in the Sunday papers this weekend...
    Thanks for the headsup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish the ponches would start recruiting normal people. ie. general service.
    Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksaga View Post
    Wish the ponches would start recruiting normal people. ie. general service.
    In fairness, with an embargo on, I can't understand how a Cadet intake CAN be justified,
    but a General Service intake CAN'T. Maybe it's RACO are shouting that bit louder than
    PDFORRA ?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    After an officer gets commissioned does he/she get the choice of where they go in the DF, be it infantry, cavalry etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a form filled out with your preferences. If you score high enough in the skills suited to the corp then you'll be in with a strong chance. Otherwise, it's what the higher ups decide is best

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Zulu.

Post Thanks / Like
    After an officer gets commissioned does he/she get the choice of where they go in the DF, be it infantry, cavalry etc?
    Not really. Close to commissioning time a Cadet states 2-3 preferances and then, depending where they finish in their cadet class, they are matched up with vacancies. Ie: If 5 lads want Cav and there are pnly 2 places, the 2 highest placed Cadets would probably get it. There's a whole process that goes on and the wishes of the cadet are probably at the bottom of the factors which decide.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dingo42 View Post
    Although there have been some exceptions of late there is still a practice of not posting a newly commissioned officer to their home brigade. You can almost be guaranteed that you will not get back to your home town. EG if you're from Cork the chances of you getting posted to the Southern Bde are slim enough but you can rule out being posted to the 4 Bn, 1 Far, 1 Cav Sqn, 1 Fld CIS etc.

It's an extension of induction and also tries to prevent 'awkward' situations when you are still inexperienced with o/ranks that might have been schoolmates, neighbours, the local scumbag who you might be tempted to sort out etc.

Also, if you react like a spoiled child to your posting and can't handle being some distance from your mammy or girlfriend then you're not going to be well equipped to meet other emotional challenges and setbacks in your career. It's the same logic as locking you away in the Cadet School with no weekend leave for the first few months. If you manage to deal with that, then you've a better chance of lasting an overseas trip. Hence, the high number of o/ranks overseas repatriations and nil from officers.

The same doesn't apply to CFRs which is ridiculous when you consider part of the rationale for this policy. I've seen some some CFRs experience terrible complications when they go back to their previous barracks as an officer. Most of them manage to rise above it but some still think they're one of the lads and that always ends in tears.

The good news is that it's relatively easy to transfer location after a few years particularly if you can arrange a swap with another officer. Transferring Corps is not as easy unless it's the logical move after college - moving from Inf to CIS because you did an IT degree etc. Your CO will not want to loose an officer and the Corps Director will very possible take is as an insult so don't count on him supporting it either. The best advice as mentioned is a previous post is to try an finish as high up in your Cadet Class as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZULU View Post
    There is a form filled out with your preferences. If you score high enough in the skills suited to the corps then you'll be in with a strong chance. Otherwise, it's what the higher ups decide is best
    Quote Originally Posted by ICUN View Post
    Not really. Close to commissioning time a Cadet states 2-3 preferances and then, depending where they finish in their cadet class, they are matched up with vacancies. Ie: If 5 lads want Cav and there are pnly 2 places, the 2 highest placed Cadets would probably get it. There's a whole process that goes on and the wishes of the cadet are probably at the bottom of the factors which decide.
    That's two slightly different versions of the answer.
    Cue the return of "Celebrity Deathmatch" !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really. The better your skills are the higher you'll place in the class, the more chance of getting what you want

Post Thanks / Like
    I would advise people to listen to ICUN as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone I know who went to cadets went straight back to the barracks nearest their home.

With regard to CFR, the policy was that they can't go back to the same unit, I know one who was sent to a different barracks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Everyone I know who went to cadets went straight back to the barracks nearest their home.

With regard to CFR, the policy was that they can't go back to the same unit, I know one who was sent to a different barracks.
    Everyone I know who went to cadets in the last 3 years all ended up in the same barracks, nowhere near their home.

You go where you are most wanted.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm so hypothetically, what would happen to someone from north of the border (are there many serving?) if they were to be commissioned? Would they be posted reasonably close to home if there is a vacancy, or is it a case of "needs of the service" moving around from unit to unit as required throughout your career?

Also out of curiosity, what are the timescales of an officer career? Some of the careers information I've seen for the British army give a timelines eg

2nd Lt 12 Months
    Lieutenant 1-3 Years
    Captain 4-6 Years
    Major 8+ Years etc

Anyone have any ideas as to what the situation is with the PDF?

Thanks in advance.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Hmmm so hypothetically, what would happen to someone from north of the border (are there many serving?) if they were to be commissioned? Would they be posted reasonably close to home if there is a vacancy, or is it a case of "needs of the service" moving around from unit to unit as required throughout your career?

Also out of curiosity, what are the timescales of an officer career? Some of the careers information I've seen for the British army give a timelines eg

2nd Lt 12 Months
    Lieutenant 1-3 Years
    Captain 4-6 Years
    Major 8+ Years etc

Anyone have any ideas as to what the situation is with the PDF?

Thanks in advance.
    Needs of the service come first. If you're not fairly mobile when you start and go where there are vacancies, then the question must be asked why opt for it as a career in the first place.

Thread Information