No announcement yet.

Army Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a special interest in the cadets and I would like to thank Jessop and others for their insights.
    Much appreciated

Comment

Best of luck to you. In one way the toughest thing is getting into the Cadets in the first place. The applicant numbers will probably be very high this year. Try and get a few mock interviews, they're essential.

The quality of instruction is excellent so don't let people put you off or feel a bit overwhelmed. Never fired a weapon before, doesn't matter, never read a map before, doesn't matter. That will all the taught to you. They're looking for good raw materials not the finished article.

It is physically tiring so the longer you can go without having to pull on your mental reserves the better. Work on your cardio fitness if you can, don't mind weights really unless it's pushups and pullups. A little bit of hill work with a backpack and a few 2 litre bottles full of water wrapped in towels. When you're wrecked don't stop, empty out one bottle and repeat until you are wrecked with no full bottles.

Running on loose sand or similar is good for simulating Battle PT which is a shock to the system and muscles if you've been doing just road running.

I don't think there's much you can do to prepare for the mental challenges. Just keep your head down and keep telling yourself that no matter how bad it gets its worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by parade boy View Post

To the initial poster of this thread: take out all the cynicism and put in an application. Officers do lots of good work and then too much paperwork. Much is expected of them and getting through the training is not easy. Why? They take responisbility. Not that soldiers, sailors or aircrew of enlisted rank don't. But ultimately it's the officer is expected to make the decision, give direction to his/her troops and make it happen. It doesn't matter if that order is to march on parade for a guard of honour or to 'follow me' over the hill, it's your call. And when you get it worong you'll know all about it.

Don't let that scare you. The training is tough, but progressive. Some of it is unnecessary, but all of it actually forms you into the basic model for an officer. The troops in your first unit, your first overseas trip (for the army) and your first real fu@k up take the rough edges off you. If you're lucky, you meet a good CO and good officers around you early on. These will rub off on you. Don't mind the 'high stool' talk...being in charge of Irish soldiers is one of the best jobs in the world. And that's on a bad day. When you meet good NCO's you'll just know who they are. They are SO important to you that you should nurture them, expecially the young one's, 'cos they're the C/S's and BSM;s of the future.

They won;t all love you...but if you do what you're supposed to, they'll respect you. Give it a lash. I highly recommend it.
        [QUOTE=parade boy;263884]Jessup speaks the truth.

To the initial poster of this thread: take out all the cynicism and put in an application. QUOTE]

parade boy,my initial post was not meant as cynicism, I was genuinely interested and I have put in an application for the cadets. I would have applied much earlier for it but have been in college for the last 6 years and now have a masters and now the shit has hit the fan and they are hardly taking anybody on. Just my luck.
        Thank you for the insight into the the role of officers parade boy and what to expect if I ever get in.
        Jessup thanks for all you have posted also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
          Best of luck to you. In one way the toughest thing is getting into the Cadets in the first place. The applicant numbers will probably be very high this year. Try and get a few mock interviews, they're essential.

The quality of instruction is excellent so don't let people put you off or feel a bit overwhelmed. Never fired a weapon before, doesn't matter, never read a map before, doesn't matter. That will all the taught to you. They're looking for good raw materials not the finished article.

It is physically tiring so the longer you can go without having to pull on your mental reserves the better. Work on your cardio fitness if you can, don't mind weights really unless it's pushups and pullups. A little bit of hill work with a backpack and a few 2 litre bottles full of water wrapped in towels. When you're wrecked don't stop, empty out one bottle and repeat until you are wrecked with no full bottles.

Running on loose sand or similar is good for simulating Battle PT which is a shock to the system and muscles if you've been doing just road running.

I don't think there's much you can do to prepare for the mental challenges. Just keep your head down and keep telling yourself that no matter how bad it gets its worth it.
          I think you may have responded to my thanks. Actually, my interest is in an existing cadet. And his future, if successful. The progression through the ranks was insightful as was the class placement indicators. I'd heard, albeit from a Naval Officer, that class placement had little relevance but your post seems to indicate that, for the army at least, it can follow you through till captaincy.
          If I've mistaken your post, apologies, no offence meant.

Comment

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! I've been looking for information like this all over the official site, but couldn't find it. This information is invaluable!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
              I think you may have responded to my thanks. Actually, my interest is in an existing cadet. And his future, if successful. The progression through the ranks was insightful as was the class placement indicators. I'd heard, albeit from a Naval Officer, that class placement had little relevance but your post seems to indicate that, for the army at least, it can follow you through till captaincy.
              If I've mistaken your post, apologies, no offence meant.
              The Naval Officer might not be wrong. Their intake is so small that all Executive Officers will make it to LtCdr (Army - Comdt) and command a ship. They won't all make it to Cdr etc.

But in the Army the seniority that you leave the Cadet School with stays until you are promoted Comdt. That's not to say that everyone will know that some have coasted and others have improved since the Cadet School so there are rarely big surprises if there 'jumpers' and 'fallers' in the two lists.

But it does have a big impact prior to that day. Two examples;

Two classmates as junior captains. Identical careers both back from their last overseas mission the same length of time. One finished ten places ahead of the other due to 'cuteness' in the Cadet School but has coasted since. The junior man has worked really hard since commissioning and is currently expected to jump his classmate at Capt to Comdt. A really attractive o/seas mission comes up which is sure to help your chances at the promotion competition. Both apply. Who will get it? The senior man. By the sheer virtue of getting the trip on his file he's now back in the lead even though he's spent the last ten years taking it easy.

Two classmates as senior captains. An Inf Coy in a Bn has lost their OC to o/seas and the 2i/c to a course. The two captains are being posted in as the OC and 2i/c. The dogs in the street know that the senior man was lucky in the Cadet School and hasn't the same man management skills as his junior classmate. However, he is the senior man and has to be posted as the acting Comdt. Off they go sometime later for interview and guess which one has acting Comdt on his file? That's plus one for him over his junior classmate.

Tell your friend to try and finish as high as possible. It's not the end of the world if he/she doesn't but it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                The Naval Officer might not be wrong. Their intake is so small that all Executive Officers will make it to LtCdr (Army - Comdt) and command a ship. They won't all make it to Cdr etc.

But in the Army the seniority that you leave the Cadet School with stays until you are promoted Comdt. That's not to say that everyone will know that some have coasted and others have improved since the Cadet School so there are rarely big surprises if there 'jumpers' and 'fallers' in the two lists.

But it does have a big impact prior to that day. Two examples;

Two classmates as junior captains. Identical careers both back from their last overseas mission the same length of time. One finished ten places ahead of the other due to 'cuteness' in the Cadet School but has coasted since. The junior man has worked really hard since commissioning and is currently expected to jump his classmate at Capt to Comdt. A really attractive o/seas mission comes up which is sure to help your chances at the promotion competition. Both apply. Who will get it? The senior man. By the sheer virtue of getting the trip on his file he's now back in the lead even though he's spent the last ten years taking it easy.

Two classmates as senior captains. An Inf Coy in a Bn has lost their OC to o/seas and the 2i/c to a course. The two captains are being posted in as the OC and 2i/c. The dogs in the street know that the senior man was lucky in the Cadet School and hasn't the same man management skills as his junior classmate. However, he is the senior man and has to be posted as the acting Comdt. Off they go sometime later for interview and guess which one has acting Comdt on his file? That's plus one for him over his junior classmate.

Tell your friend to try and finish as high as possible. It's not the end of the world if he/she doesn't but it helps.
                Thanks. What you say makes sense as Army life will mirror " real " ( or civvy st. ) life and the better start gets noticed. Don't they say that someone with the reputation for getting up early can lie in bed till lunchtime !

Comment

First of all Officers learn how to walk funnyish, its part and parcel of trg , H. Hog should remember a few from the Brugha , Collins's around the 70s/80s who walked as if they had a carrot .. etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                    Don't they say that someone with the reputation for getting up early can lie in bed till lunchtime !
                    You better believe it. I'm a culchie so our expression is 'that fella is hurling on his reputation'. A guy who is getting picked ahead of others based on some ancient deeds and not based on more recent performance and future potential.

Comment

Are officers encouraged to own a dog ? Am convinced most of ours get issued a lab aong with their kit
                      Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                        Are officers encouraged to own a dog ? Am convinced most of ours get issued a lab aong with their kit
                        Yes usually called Breda or Fidellma

normally they are on the camogie team of their local parish as they are deemed to hairy
                        for ladies GAA- they bring them to the Cadet School

but after commissioning they are abandioned

it should be remembered and taught as a lesson

culchie women are not just for debs or your brithers wedding
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Its an optional issue item when they get their crossed swords. That, or a pipe, or a cane, or a handlebar mustache, etc. etc.

Comment

Awesome posts , hedge youre a gas man
                            Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Dont forget the blackthorn stick for Lt Cols and a few Comdt, Also the course on how not to wear a beret for senior officers,
                              h. Hog is rt about the camogie teams, also a few rugger types , knew an NCO who had the temerity to "hit it off" with the adjutants girldfriend ( I am a gentleman so no names or details) you would think he had been caught bonking the pope , it was considered just not on by the gents , other thouight it showed that he may have officer potential.. , another guy married another adjutants daughter, guess what? he was commissioned , ...

Comment

Is there any eliteism in the officers corps ? There are units here like the guards and the gunners that are very selective about who joins their cap badge.

Comment

Working...
                                X