Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 136

Thread: Army Officers

  1. #76
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Hi Jessup, could you elaborate as to what kind of sports would be part of the syllabus? I'll give anything my best shot, however in school it was always athletics and outdoor pursuits I was into - sadly lacking in skills with games that involve balls. The "ethos" of the school I went to also meant that rugby was an unmentionable word, so I've little idea of that either. I have no hesitation about getting stuck in to anything new whether I'm good or bad at it but In the unlikely event of getting in, I have visions of being made an ejit of by a crowd of intercounty GAA players on a regular basis. Then again, I do come complete with some good mountain/backpacking experience to compensate....................
    Thanks in advance.
    I don't know if they still do but the Cadets used to have a football, hurling and rugby team that competed in some of the third level competitions but some guys found that as a pain as it fed into free time and exposed you to injury that could have a detrimental affect on your military training. I can't remember much of a soccer team although we used to do that most evenings ourselves in the senior year. The course is shorter now so the 'senior year' is only three months so I don't know if the 'left to your own devices' phase is even there anymore or if it is I imagine it's a lot shorter. You get commissioned instead!

    Trust me, you're not going to loose out by not being an ex minor footballer or hurler. I was never any good at either and sometimes that would be picked as a soft option for sports on a Wednesday afternoon. What the staff were looking for is that you got stuck in, tried your best and got physical without loosing the rag altogether. It was a great way of giving some of your classmates a bit of a clatter which you need to to do when you're living in each others pockets in a pressure environment.

    They is a slight preference towards those in team sports at interview, but it can be any sport. There are plenty of individualists who get in too; swimmers, boxers, cyclists, kayakers, sailors, orienteering etc.

    There used to be two weeks adventure training in Tralee. Then there was 'tri angular tournament' with Clongowes and Newbridge College which had a lot of athletics and baseketball I think. Ironically it didn't involve rugby but I think that was on account of the physicality rather than the rugby skills of the Cadets.

    In fact, when I think of our Cadet Captains and Mess Presidents (the best Cadets in the class) and those in the classes directly ahead and behind us there weren't too many 'jocks'. I can remember one orienteerer and another who was a sailor (as in dinghy) and another who wasn't really sporty at all.

    You'll be grand. I thought the original question was about being able to keep up your outside sport when you're in the Cadets. There are a lot of GAA and Rugby types who think they can walk on water because they've been looked after in school etc and get a bit of a fright in the Curragh. Many are looked after post commissioning, but everyone is treated fairly equally in the Cadet School.

  2. #77
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamster View Post
    Those two DS were mickeyheads to be fair.

    The lady recruits were well able to bat their eyelashes as 3 stars as well.

    Senior ncos were known to swoon at those lashes
    Yeah, but I saw one of them on a Std Cse in the Curragh before I left. Couldn't believe it! I had my own dealings with him a few times and always felt there was a real bully boy, violent streak to him. I certainly hope he was never let near recruits again!

  3. #78
    C/S ArdMhacha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Newry
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies Jessup and Dev.
    Sport is a huge part of my life, particularly Gaelic football and soccer.
    I understand that sacrifices have to be made and that in the (unlikely) event that I do get selected for a cadetship I'd like to now if I'l get my "fix" while I'm down there!
    As a recruit we were told that we would have "sport" once a week on a wednesday, this very rarely materialised unfortunatley

  4. #79
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sports parade was as regular as clockwork when I was there every Wednesday afternoon. Only exception were when on tactics. I was in the Curragh for a few weeks in 2006 and the Cadets were still doing it on Wednesday afternoon. Even with the 15 month course I can't imagine it not being an important explicit and implicit part of the course.

  5. #80
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,079
    Post Thanks / Like
    The booklet on the military.ie will tell you sports include:

    Gaelic football
    Hurling
    Rugby
    Soccer
    Athletics (I know a guy (now a Lt I think that participated in athletics competitions as a cadet)
    Swimming (there is a pool in the Curragh)
    Basketball
    Equitation (probably only available to Equitation cadets)

    The cadet school run as a block in the annual 10km An Cosantoir race, cadets can participate in DF competions.

  6. #81
    CQMS
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    624
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    Thanks for the replies Jessup and Dev.
    Sport is a huge part of my life, particularly Gaelic football and soccer.
    I understand that sacrifices have to be made and that in the (unlikely) event that I do get selected for a cadetship I'd like to now if I'l get my "fix" while I'm down there!
    As a recruit we were told that we would have "sport" once a week on a wednesday, this very rarely materialised unfortunatley

    "Sport" on a Wednesday is PDF code for a half day at the taxpayers expense. For perhaps 10% it is a chance to improve their fitness. For the othe 90% its Sky Sports. Unless you count golf of course. Thats popular on a Wednesday all right.

  7. #82
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    8,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Sport" on a Wednesday is PDF code for a half day at the taxpayers expense. For perhaps 10% it is a chance to improve their fitness. For the othe 90% its Sky Sports. Unless you count golf of course. Thats popular on a Wednesday all right.
    Yep, try and get anyone in the PDF on the phone from the real world on a Wednesday. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  8. #83
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggie View Post
    "Sport" on a Wednesday is PDF code for a half day at the taxpayers expense. For perhaps 10% it is a chance to improve their fitness. For the othe 90% its Sky Sports. Unless you count golf of course. Thats popular on a Wednesday all right.
    The Cdt Sch is the only unit that I served in that had Sports parade. It might only apply to 10% of the Army in that it is mostly prevalent at those on certain courses or when you have unit concentrations for various reasons.

    However, the suggestion that the other 90% all take a half day is ridiculous and lets the side down. What about those on duty, those resting off, orderly rooms, workshops, those o/seas, those on courses etc. etc.

    The Curragh was particularly bad but that has even changing before I left. People are just too busy now with people double and treble jobbing etc.

  9. #84
    Viking HavocIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our unit has ORT(organised recreational training) every wednesday without fail instead of PT. Usually its just a game of ball.

    I prefer that to a run or a route march.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

  10. #85
    C/S ArdMhacha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Newry
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our unit has ORT(organised recreational training) every wednesday without fail instead of PT.
    2nd Batt was great on wednesdays, those who didnt want a game of ball could go to the gym, or just run. It was just during training that sports sessions were few and far between, though when we did get them they were great for blowing off steam.

  11. #86
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Yep, try and get anyone in the PDF on the phone from the real world on a Wednesday. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.
    Ring any of the 2 Bn offices on a Wednesday and you'll get an answer, guaranteed.

  12. #87
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    8,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    What, after 1330 ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  13. #88
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    What, after 1330 ?
    There is always someone in the HQ

    care to call in some Wed afternoon
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  14. #89
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    8,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know I actually tried that once back when I was a little more idealistic [ I.e. hadn't the rougher edges off ] Boy did my learning curve have an uptick that day.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  15. #90
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    What, after 1330 ?
    Yep.

    Or pop in and you'll see just how many of us don't get halfers on a Wednesday.

  16. #91
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Do you know I actually tried that once back when I was a little more idealistic [ I.e. hadn't the rougher edges off ] Boy did my learning curve have an uptick that day.
    did you know what was on that day

    maybe the whole Bn was on one of our frequent GOH's

    maybe we were on an exercise- maybe the whole lot of us were in the Airport or Baldonnel

    or somewhere else- I think the fault lies with the COS in that he didnt inform you

    of the movements of all Infantry Battalions that day.

    If you were looking to see someone had you at least made an appointment or

    do you still beelive that we are at your beck and call
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  17. #92
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cathal Brugha
    Posts
    8,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. I called into see someone. [ This is a few years ago, perhaps 2002 or 2003 ]. I'd been in to see them the previous day and they said call in again soon to finalize something. So I did, made the mistake of coming in on a Wed. afternoon. Perhaps it's changed.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

  18. #93
    C/S Tango_Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine was on the interview board for a recruit intake in the DFTC a few years ago. There was one candidate who on paper ticked all the boxes and his interview was going pretty well until the following happened.

    Interviewer: So Mr. Bloggs, why do you want to join the army?
    Candidate: Jesus, with half days every wednesday and friday, who WOULDN'T want to join?

    Needless to say, huge X next to that guys name.

    The wednesdays half day's are a thing of the past in almost every unit now. Units are just too busy nowadays for that kind of thing to happen.

  19. #94
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
    Interviewer: So Mr. Bloggs, why do you want to join the army?
    Candidate: Jesus, with half days every wednesday and friday, who WOULDN'T want to join?
    I' d say that went down like a lead balloon !!!
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  20. #95
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Yep, try and get anyone in the PDF on the phone from the real world on a Wednesday. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.
    I resent that comment.

  21. #96
    Restricted Slaphead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dublin,were else would you want 2live
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you play football you will get regular passes to attend matches and training.

  22. #97
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    674
    Post Thanks / Like
    A sweeping generalisation if there ever was one. For any prospective Cadet looking at this thread for info you're better to aim off that you may have to put your outside sport on hold for the 15 months. If you end up getting facilitated consider it a bonus but not an entitlement. If you're doing a tactical phase then that's it, no matter how important the match on how long it has been since the club were in the county final Can you imagine the farce. Well Cadet X didn't do the Fibua phase because he was playing corner back that day but he's still a fully qualified Pln Comdr ready to go overseas

    There's a famous story about a Cadet in the early 90s who was needed for a relegation match for his rugby club in Limerick. Any IMOers in CBB would know him. Not exactly a shrinking violet I think the only unit he ever served in bar o/seas was the 2 Cav but he's left now too. Anyway, it was during a normal phase in the Cdt Sch and the program doesn't finish until 1230 on Sat. Match was at 1400 and the Cdt Sch wouldn't let him off early.

    His club applied to Curragh Ops for permission to land a helicopter in McDonagh so he could make it on time. Curragh Ops called the clubs bluff by asking for the call sign of the chopper which was duly provided so sense prevailed and he was let off early. No chance of course the DS's in the Cdt Sch took it out on him later. :wink:

    That comment about football might be a flippant remark based on the current COS but there are many anti GAA officers in the DF too as they perceive the GAA guys as getting special treatment. You could be lucky but if the Cdt Sch class officer or OC Cdt Sch or OC Mil Col has a chip on his shoulder about the GAA then your only 'club' in their mind is - Cdt Sch, followed by the DFTC followed by Defence Forces. That might be the only matches and training you'll be involved in until you're finished the Cadetship.

  23. #98
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    If its the lad I am thinking about he was in 2 BTC as well

    for a short while

    is he a civvy now
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  24. #99
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by northie View Post
    Hi Jessup, could you elaborate as to what kind of sports would be part of the syllabus? I'll give anything my best shot, however in school it was always athletics and outdoor pursuits I was into - sadly lacking in skills with games that involve balls. The "ethos" of the school I went to also meant that rugby was an unmentionable word, so I've little idea of that either. I have no hesitation about getting stuck in to anything new whether I'm good or bad at it but In the unlikely event of getting in, I have visions of being made an ejit of by a crowd of intercounty GAA players on a regular basis. Then again, I do come complete with some good mountain/backpacking experience to compensate....................

    Thanks in advance.
    If you don't mind me adding to whay Jessop said. Sport is a plus - any code or kind - if you can tie it into "leadership " at the interview. My interest in the cadets played rugby and used that as an example of his leadership. Funnily enough, he'd a really hard (brutal ) game against a certain school, which he won. At his inteview he quoted it as an example of how he led his troops to victory against the odds(bigger school ). A commandant on the interview board remarked drily that he's seen said match as his son was one of the casualties !
    Didn't do his interview a bit of harm though. And sport during the 15 months is now nothing more than soccer on Wed. Once in, doesn't matter a bit. Ability to run distances is a big plus with some of the commandant training officers though.

  25. #100
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    674
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the very man, you're right he was. A Pots Cse I think. God love them! He's a howl socially but not sure that he would be the easiest to work with/for.

    In the context of the question I was answering a few posts back about a "sports star" being looked after in the Cdt Sch this guy was being picked for Ireland under 21s and Ireland A as a Cadet and he didn't get it all his own way. So compare that to a guy looking to get off for a club or a crap GAA county and there are no guarantees.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •