hms endurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hms endurance

anybody see the programme after sea patrol uk where a/sea jones got 28 days in the slammer for fighting last week good show on national geog monday night???

Yup. Ice Patrol or something? Very interesting show. Nice to see buying vessels designed for civilian use, and pushing them into a military role doesnt work well for the RN either.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

goldie, not sure i understand your point , can you expand please

Comment

Endurance was designed for civilian purposes. Its unsuitability for the military role it is involved in will become clear later in the series. Like the Irish NS, who also had little success pushing a civilian vessel into military taskings (Setanta, Ferdia).

(spoiler alert........................

Endurance returns to the UK on the back of a heavy lift Ship after being holed below the waterline)

Comment

I'm missing something here.How is an ice-patrol a military task? An Ice breaking bow is not a deliberate design feature of standard naval vessels, as far as I know..........what's the point of sending the offender to Colchester, at more expense than his punishment deserves? Why not just lock him up in Port Stanley or else dock him a month's wages or bust him for a month.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Endurance is an Antarctic patrol vessel. Her primary role is the protection of the UK territories at the south atlantic and south pole. For that reason she carries a Detachment of Marines, as well as Navy Lynx helicopters. However, due to recent treaties, no weapons are mounted when the vessel south of the antarctic circle. Prior to the arrival of a River class Patrol Vessel, her responsibilities also included defence of the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and other UK territories not in the polar region.

Her predecessor was instrumental in the initial acts of defence during the 1982 conflict. Other Navies whose territories are in frequently Ice bound regions have purpose built Icebreakers. The RN, instead of building their own, chose instead to first lease, and then Buy outright, the vessel which was designed as a survey ship.

Comment

when you say no weapons are mounted

does that mean that weapons are carried but not actually on the weapons mount

or are I getting it arse ways
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

when you say no weapons are mounted
                Small arms as required but no mounted weapons..but the older enduarnce had a pair of 20mm Oerlikons mounted ..just in case
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Thanks Murph

you sea hags are indeed a strange bunch
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    Small arms as required but no mounted weapons..but the older enduarnce had a pair of 20mm Oerlikons mounted ..just in case
                    Included in her weaponry are 7.62mm Miniguns, pintle mounted. These are removed from their mountings and locked away when not in use, or if in a demilitarised area.

Comment

HMS Endurance Returns to Portsmouth

HMS Endurance, the Royal Navy’s ice patrol ship, has returned to Portsmouth for repair and return to service following a flooding incident in her engine room in December. HMS Endurance, which has been brought back from the Falkland Islands by heavy lift ship, was towed into Portsmouth Harbour on Friday 10 April.

HMS Endurance’s Commanding Officer, Captain Gavin Pritchard, notes, “The Navy intend to repair Endurance and return her to full operational status as early as safely possible. I’m delighted to see Endurance reach this key milestone in her recovery, and I know my ship’s company feel the same after their amazing efforts to contain the flooding last year. The fact that there was no loss of life or even any serious injuries in such a challenging situation is testament to their efforts.”

HMS Endurance has been brought back by heavy lift ship MV Target to her base port of Portsmouth and will now undergo a period of repair and enhancement. After a voyage which started in the Falkland islands on 15 March, she arrived at Spithead off Portsmouth on Wednesday 8 April. After a period to allow safety inspections, work was conducted to release HMS Endurance from the fittings securing her to MV Target, and MV Target was docked down to allow HMS Endurance to be floated off.

Comment

Capt Pritchard OBE is no longer in command of the vessel. It is now inder the guidance of Commander T.G Sharpe, formerly 2i/c of the vessel who took over following her arrival back in the UK. Interesting that the ships commander, previously was held by a Captain, is now a Commander.

Capt Pritchard was the vessels skipper since October 2008. He is now Director of the RN Joint Tactical Exercise Planning staff in Northwood.

Comment

you sea hags are indeed a strange bunch
                          I reckon you would have fitted in well with us, good situation appraisal, skilled charachter assassin and very little respect for the commisioned ranks unless they were blindingly brilliant, filthy mind and total intolerance of people who might even doubt your opinion.

Definete Chief Petty Officer....ever think of transferring?
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            I reckon you would have fitted in well with us, good situation appraisal, skilled charachter assassin and very little respect for the commisioned ranks unless they were blindingly brilliant, filthy mind and total intolerance of people who might even doubt your opinion.

Definete Chief Petty Officer....ever think of transferring?
                            I have to say I disagree with you Murph.........

He has the sarcasm of a Senior Chief Petty Officer
                            Maby ever a Warrant
                            What do you mean abandon ship
                            Are they taking requests?

Comment

Goldie I can think of a few purpose built warships taken back to home port on the back of heavy lift vessels .
                              As I havent seen the incident was the failure due to some piece of equipment or part that would not have been fitted to a warship or would have been fitted differently to a warship .

If it wasnt due to either of the above then I fail to see the connection with the vessel original being a merchant vessel .

I can also think of many civil vessel which have served with distinction in many navies of the world .

A new large DP2 AHTS with a helideck could conduct any operation asked of the naval service and also carry out a few extra ones (ETV, DSV, helo ops,cargo ops, ums engineroom,refuel at sea herself and others) .
                              useful weapons could be fitted a couple of 20mm .

Grey is not always the best way !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X