Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Derek Furniss (32) and Cadet David Jevens (22), Pilatus Crash 12 October 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A real tragedy and unfortunatelty, one that is too close to home. Such an up and coming airman as was my friend, we will rarely see again. His passing will be mourned by many as will his fine instructor. My deepest regrets to both of the pilots' families involved. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a ainm.
    "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Rip

Comment

R.i.p

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Rip

Comment

r.i.p lads.

Comment

R.i.p

Comment

May they both + Rest In Peace +

Sympathy and Condolences to Family, Friends and Comrades.

Comment

R.i.p.

Comment

Rip

Comment

My deepest sympathies to the families, friends and collegues of those who died in this incident.
                      May they both Rest In Peace.
                      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                      http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

R.i.p

Comment

Godspeed lads...

R.i.p

Comment

Rest in Peace
                            I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

The two crew in the crash have been officially named by the DFPO

Date: Tuesday, 13 October 2009.

Press Call. For immediate release.

Captain Derek Furniss (32) and Cadet David Jevens (22) are the two crew members that died in the crash of the Air Corps PC-9 (Tail # 265) last night at Cornamona, Co. Galway.

Captain Derek Furniss joined the Defence Forces in October 1994 and is a qualified pilot since 1996 and a qualified flight instructor since 1999. He has over 3,000 flight hours and was the Chief Flight Instructor on the Pilatus aircraft and member of the Air Corps PC-9 Display Team. Derek, originally from Ballinteer, Dublin 16 was single and living with his partner in Dublin.

Cadet David Jevens joined the Defence Forces as an Air Corps Cadet in 2006 and was at the advanced stages of flight training on the PC-9 with over 160 flight hours and 50 simulator training hours over the past three years flight training. He was due for commissioning as a pilot later this year. David was single and from Glynn, Co. Wexford.

Currently, the Air Accident Investigation teams are on scene at the crash site which is approx. 2 – 3 kilometres from Maam Cross, Co. Galway. The onsite investigation is estimated to take 48 – 72 hours initially. Gathering information from the site has commenced with data from the flight and cockpit voice recorder that have been located.

The Defence Forces ask for respect for both families at this very difficult time. Funeral arrangements for the deceased are a matter primarily for the families, but every assistance is being provided by Air Corps personnel. General Officer Commanding the Air Corps, Brigadier General Ralph James met the Furniss family last night and is meeting the Jevens family later today to extend sympathies on behalf of the men and women of the Defence Forces.

Press Officer: Comdt. Gavin Young 01 8042687 : 087 2482130

e-mail: pressofficer@defenceforces.iol.ie web: www.military.ie
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Boomer; 13 October 2009, 10:55.

Comment

RIP, I went to primary and secondary school with david, he was a really great person.
                                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X