X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    It used to be 2 tshirts now 2 s/l & 2 l/s I think
    I had 2 of each on my 245B but got one of each
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      The RDF(AR) scale is a mess.The Norgie which was always a general issue item has been linked to the " 72 hour exercise rule".And if you look closely their is NO mention of light Op boots at all on the recruit table.Boots Op and Boots OP safety are mentioned but as per previous they are linked to the above rule.Which is funny as one doesn't exist anymore anyway.

I honestly believe that in the rush to get the signed copy out that the RDF tables were not proof read.If that not the case than RDF recruits are not issued any warm item of kit at all and they go around in their socks!
      That's complete bolloxology re: Norwegian. So you are saying currently there is no warm under layer on issue to the RDF? Wooly pullys are off the scale of issue, as is the barracks jacket, as was the green fleece liner before that. Which is why I bought a Brit fleece liner a few years ago. Great bit of kit for wearing under the smock in the winter months...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• But we don't get cold when it's cold or wet when it's wet

Comment

• i've no idea if it applies, but in the late 80's and 90's in the UK the MOD twigged to the fact that the issue boots, cold weather gear, wet weather gear, sleeping bags etc.. were so awful that pretty much every soldier bought their own commercial stuff as soon as they joined - so the MOD decided to save even more money by making it even worse/shoddy on the basis that no one was wearing it anyway, so it didn't matter...

could the DOD be looking to save a bit of cash by getting you to buy your own kit?

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
            i've no idea if it applies, but in the late 80's and 90's in the UK the MOD twigged to the fact that the issue boots, cold weather gear, wet weather gear, sleeping bags etc.. were so awful that pretty much every soldier bought their own commercial stuff as soon as they joined - so the MOD decided to save even more money by making it even worse/shoddy on the basis that no one was wearing it anyway, so it didn't matter...

could the DOD be looking to save a bit of cash by getting you to buy your own kit?
            You're giving them far too much credit mate.
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• No warm layer to the rdf is back to the old days. For those who remember the green fjumper was a very welcome add on when the working dress came in and FCS did not involve SD no 1 for everything including tactical TRG.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                No warm layer to the rdf is back to the old days...
                its astonishing, its incredible, and i'm quite looking foward to seeing the Minister attempt to explain to a Judge why Soldiers ordered to march up a mountain in February were given neither boots nor anything warm - but if people decide to dip into their own pockets for this stuff i can recommend the UK OG CS95 fleece with a collar, and the UK Thermal Jacket and Trousers - reversable green/sand, Softie rip-off, its quite long and the pockets are nice and deep. the softie stuff is around £35, and the fleece around £15 on fleabay.

if you're also looking at looking at boots, then the UK Alt-berg offerings are very good, as are the normal Meindl/Lowa products - the UK MOD is getting rid of the later model desert boots, Meindl/Lowa, and as long as you can get away with desert boots in the field i'd happily recommend them for hard work over bog and mountain.

Comment

• You shouldn't need to buy the basics, ie boots.

Comment

its astonishing, its incredible, and i'm quite looking foward to seeing the Minister attempt to explain to a Judge why Soldiers ordered to march up a mountain in February were given neither boots nor anything warm - but if people decide to dip into their own pockets for this stuff i can recommend the UK OG CS95 fleece with a collar, and the UK Thermal Jacket and Trousers - reversable green/sand, Softie rip-off, its quite long and the pockets are nice and deep. the softie stuff is around £35, and the fleece around £15 on fleabay.

if you're also looking at looking at boots, then the UK Alt-berg offerings are very good, as are the normal Meindl/Lowa products - the UK MOD is getting rid of the later model desert boots, Meindl/Lowa, and as long as you can get away with desert boots in the field i'd happily recommend them for hard work over bog and mountain.
                    It's a Soldier 2000 fleece I have. Lovely warm kit

Comment

You shouldn't need to buy the basics, ie boots.
                      i think we're all agreed on that - however we have to deal with what is happenning, not what should happen...

before i went on my first op tour in the early 90's - UNPROFOR winter - my Battery dipped into its funds to the tune of about a grand to buy the stuff i that needed but either couldn't get, or (most of it..) commercial stuff to replace the utter crap i was issued with.

that was outrageous, disgusting - and bloody fortunate there was only a handful of us going - but it was neccesary to avoid either of two things happening: firstly me looking at my issued kit, looking at the temperature logs for an average Bosnian winter, and saying 'thanks, but no thanks..', or becoming a frostbite/hypothermia casualty within 20 minutes of getting to Banja Luka.

i'd take a similar view of an invite to spend a February weekend at 3,000ft in the Wicklow mountains..

Comment

• To clarify we are saying there are no boots on issue to RDF (except safety toe to Engr & Arty) at all. Not that what is there is crap!

We always got boots

Comment

... Not that what is there is crap!..
                          does it matter?

a gucci, €400 boot you don't get issued doesn't protect your feet, and neither does a boot so unservicable that it has to be held together with gaffer tape. crap/not available is the same thing - bloke hasn't got something that is fundamental to the job, so he either cracks on and breaks ankles or gets trench foot, or he says 'fugit' and goes home.

same result.

Comment

does it matter?

a gucci, €400 boot you don't get issued doesn't protect your feet, and neither does a boot so unservicable that it has to be held together with gaffer tape. crap/not available is the same thing - bloke hasn't got something that is fundamental to the job, so he either cracks on and breaks ankles or gets trench foot, or he says 'fugit' and goes home.

same result.
                            It does when the boots are those that would be worn on the square

Comment

• light operational boot - being the basic magnum barrack boot.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Just to point out, the PDF have faced the exact same situation of being issued boots which arent worth a ****.

There's a reason why pretty much any lad who actually does a bit, will go to the trouble of forking out for their own boots.

Comment

Working...
                                X