Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the shirt is to be worn inside the trousers, they should follow the Brits example of stable belts having the Unit/Corps colours.

Otherwise, it'll just look shite. Although I think having the shirt tucked in looks shite anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
      If the shirt is to be worn inside the trousers, they should follow the Brits example of stable belts having the Unit/Corps colours.

Otherwise, it'll just look shite. Although I think having the shirt tucked in looks shite anyway.
      I dont think its too bad at all, as long as you wear a belt, but stable belts would be a nice idea,
      we could 'pimp our belts' and get Corps buckles
      But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
        I dont think its too bad at all, as long as you wear a belt, but stable belts would be a nice idea,
        Turbocalves you mind reader.

Just what I wanted, another thing to keep clean............
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
          If the shirt is to be worn inside the trousers, they should follow the Brits example of stable belts having the Unit/Corps colours.

It looks neat on a neat Soldier...Shit on a bag of shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
            Turbocalves you mind reader.

Just what I wanted, another thing to keep clean............
            Good thiing about being a bagger is i'd be left waiting for one to be issued, so one less thing to clean
            But there's no danger
            It's a professional career
            Though it could be arranged
            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
            If you're out of luck you're out of work
            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
              Anyone else remember the duty web belt with the FF crest? They look much better than the standard clasp buckle.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Anyone else remember the duty web belt with the FF crest? They look much better than the standard clasp buckle.
                Yeah, if they were black or olive green..not that puce green colour.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                  Is the Smock just going to be used on the ground now?
                  Rumour has it yes.And for ATCP.Hope is it will lead to fewer replacement smocks having to be issued.

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  Apod, when do you think it likely that the RDF would get issued with this
                  new "barrack jacket" ?

Just curious....

Am thinking back to the advent of the old green working dress with "wooly pully"

The PDF got it around the 1988/89 mark (one of the old sweats will correct me,
                  probably, if I' m wrong)

I remember my first Annual Training (1989), where a 4 Cav Sqn
                  NCO (now deceased, RIP) told us that we (FCA) were getting it the following year

Didn't believe him, then, but it turned out to be true, the spring of 1990, we got issued
                  with the geansai and the trousers, but for some reason, at the time, we didn't get the
                  green Working Dress shirt that went with it - that took a little longer, so we had to
                  wear the SD No 1 shirt with it in the interim

Approx 2-3 years after that, we got issued with the OG combats

As for wearing the DPM shirt out/in - did this ever go out to begin with ?

As per the original A9 Admin Instruction, it was worn inside the trousers
                  for "Winter Dress", and outside , like a light jacket, for "Summer Dress"
                  Dunno.Ye aren't scaled for the fleece at present unless you were integrated AFAIK.However as it is new type of dress it is conceivable that they will go on stream for ye.

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                  It looks neat on a neat Soldier...Shit on a bag of shite.
                  Ditto.Wearing the shirt outside the pants all year round kinda crept in slowly as the pullover fell out of everyday use(dunno why. We never used to wear the old combat jackets on everyday parade.Jumper mostly.)Also i think the more shall we say "rotund" lads didnt like it.TD is correct DFR A9 DPM ammendent still stands and was never amended to say outside the pants at all times.

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Yep.Was supposed to be issued to replace the wearing of the 58 Ptn belt over the old combats and with SD.Axed when DPM went on issue.Wouldnt like to use one as a trouser belt.Buckle is too bulky.Wouldnt like to be in a sitting positionin a FFR/GS wearing one of em with CBA and battlevest on over it.Not comfy
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• leaving the smock for field work seems like a great idea, it very rarely looks presentable on parade

out of interest, was talking to PDF mate recently about all the gucci new kit and the smock came up and I was saying how it makes a lot of us look like camouflage penguins in it and he said that he and some of his mates had solved this by after removing the lining they got mammy to stitch 4 or 5 of the smock type buttons on the inside of the waistband and then stiched loops of shoe lace on the inner side of the skirt so the skirt part could be folded up and buttoned to keep it in place thus halving it's lenght, he swore that it settles down and doesnt look like a ballet dress, has anyone else done this? If the smock was only used for tactics it could go unnoticed by anyone who'd care

Comment

• Personally, I am surprised that the smock hasn't undergone a redesign with the advent of the IPLCS, considering that the vest would make access to the smock pockets difficult. Also, if the smock is intended in future to be for tactical use only, why in the name of god are the powers that be branding it with "Defence Forces Ireland" and a huge tri-colour?
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Also, if the smock is intended in future to be for tactical use only, why in the name of god are the powers that be branding it with "Defence Forces Ireland" and a huge tri-colour?
                        I've heard its part 1 of some drive to bring distinctiveness to the uniform overseas, part 2 is the introduction of red smocks and part 3 is the issuing of bearskin helmet covers

Comment

Personally, I am surprised that the smock hasn't undergone a redesign with the advent of the IPLCS, considering that the vest would make access to the smock pockets difficult. Also, if the smock is intended in future to be for tactical use only, why in the name of god are the powers that be branding it with "Defence Forces Ireland" and a huge tri-colour?
                          Hence the addition of zips to the pockets on the chest.Also with the battlevest we tend to use that to store what was once carried in the chest pockets of the smock.
                          Dont claim to understand what goes through the brasses heads but i do know tha over a year ago D ADMIN decreed that the large tricolour(Badge no 310) would be re-introduced for overseas use as a "force protection " measure.This led to the ridiculous situation of the lads having to cut off or stitch on over the miniature tri-colour(Badge no 310M).The new design will rectify the situation.Do i think its a good idea? Look back at my previous posts on the subject for that answer.and a solution.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Sounds like Paris fashion week . All this Guicci gear and who in the hell can carry it. Too much emphasis on gear and not enough on the man carrying it.

Comment

• Ahem.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• You could put all the fancy gear on the guy with the beard at the new york pararde and he would still lool like a hairy fat overweight excuse for a soldier. If thats the standard then scrap the reserve and save money.

Comment

Working...
                                X