Warm and dry. Nothing like it.

Except for the lower legs & feet

and a pissed of C.Q.M.S. at Army blankets with slits cut in them

Connaught Ranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
      Except for the lower legs & feet

Connaught Ranger.
      Should have used your pink hairy long johns. The itch alone would keep you from thinking about the cold

Comment

Originally posted by Dog One View Post
        Heard a few changes are coming to the field dress in 2010. i have listed the most important points that were proposed
        [LIST]
        • zips to replace buttons on pants and smocks, smock breast to have zips for side opening
        Maybe a good idea on the smock,but a waste of money on the pants as the iplcs drop pouchs stop you getting into the leg pockets when worn.Could be handy in vehicles though?)
      • new norgie with better tech specs dpm
      I thhaught norgie was being axed alltogther:confused:
    • new fleece dpm with better specs and soft shell
    • That was coming anyway
    • small irish flag replaced with larger irish flag
    • Standardised for overseas and at home.About time.
    • new df logo and irish defence forces "name tag over left pocket all smocks, shirts etc
    • Yank bollocks.Same as the helmet rank markings
    • dryflo to be dpm with velcro for rank markings
    • Velcro about time as we are expected to put it on overseas ourselves.DPM a waste of monet.No need.
    • che che to replace shemagh in irish dpm
    • We use CE ptn at the moment on the issue ones for Chad.Good to have our own.
    • barcode on all issue
    • Good idea
    • pockets on shirt to be designed like kaki shirt
    • Crap idea.Backwards step.A better idea would be side opening slash pockets that you could get at whilst wearing CBA.
    • renforced groin area in pants
    • SweatboxLike the old issue winter pants.Just improve the stitch quality.
    • elmer fud hat to have df logo
    • Good idea.They need to go on general issue aswell.Not just winter trips to KFOR and the NBG.Also while we are at it get rid of the fleece liner in the boonie hat.Really,it could only be paddy the pig who would put fleece in a jungle hat:redface:

what do people think ?
      See above.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      See above.
      Where in the name of jaysus have you been?

Just on the smock, it sounds a bit like the new sniper smocks that have come on issue which IMO have a better design than what is being proposed here.

Side opening zip pockets, while still retaining 4 pockets although a smaller size, a better fit and a smaller hood. Why not just bring them on general issue rather than bringing out a whole new smock?

Comment

Terrier

You have said on the drill thread that you are not serving in the reserve or the regulars. Why the comment on the new design for the trousers ?
        Last edited by knocker; 24 October 2009, 13:59.
        Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

I think some not all are good ideas-

why tamper with the shirt pockets-

The larger tricolour is as APOD said for overseas as we try our best to stand out as Irish

purely for self preservation- the same with the flag on the name tag-

I think one of the most worrying things and thank you Irish GR for bringing this up is:

the flamability of the dri flo- how meltable is our dri flo
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Terrier

You have said on the drill thread that you are not serving in the reserve or the regulars. Why the comment on the new design for the trousers ?
            Maybe he bought them off EBAY

Comment

Any of the driflo materials are flammable and will melt and stick to your skin in the worst possible way in a fire/explosion. They are some variation on polyester. Wife is a firefighter and they can only wear cotton t-shirts or and the issue nomex trousers and fire brigades have been doing this for years. Driflo is a big "no-go" in the fire/rescue community. Pilots can't wear it either for the same reasons.

Driflo is great and I wear it running and cycling, but give me a cotton t-shirt in uniform any day. Having tried both, the difference under body armour is meaningless, you still sweat your bollix off and no amount of driflo will make Iraqi summers cooler.

A

Comment

Guys, try those:

XGO flame resistant

Very good piece of kit, and more comfortable than cotton in tough environments.

I wore the shirts and balaclava in Afghanistan, and they are great.
                "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by dahamster View Post
                  Should have used your pink hairy long johns. The itch alone would keep you from thinking about the cold
                  But would that take my mind off the boots full of water

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    I can tell you from personal experience that the irish driflo melts very easily. I used to wear one under my overalls during summer (remember when we had these in Ireland too?). While welding, sparks just melted right through, where they would not normally affect cotton. Needless to say the dri flo is back int he locker, and will stay their indefinitely.
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                      Hooray for the " reinforced groin area in pants " option !! I'm broke getting them re-sewn at 8 euros a pop ! Seriously, some outfit somewhere in the world must have put some thought into how to get flexibility with strength.
                      Yes, there are number of off the shelf fabrics that could be used and produced in a dpm pattern, the most obvious being stretch cordura that is featured in alot of civilian climbing and hiking pants. Its quite tough, windproof, highly water resistant and dries quickly and allows alot of flexibility.

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

I think one of the most worrying things and thank you Irish GR for bringing this up is:

I've had my dri flo struck by sparks and it hasn't went up in a sheet of flame, however i'd say its as flammable as other synthetic baselayers that aren't specially treated. Helly Hansen does a range of fire retardant variations of its Lifa baselayer system, with varying spec as to how fire retardant you want the fabric to be. The top end stuff (according to someone who has a full set) is rather expensive.

The only alternative that would provide the same type of performance whilst not having the "melt" factor would be a merino wool base layer and again, cost would probably be an issue.
                      Last edited by northie; 24 October 2009, 22:48.

Comment

I dont think sparks are our main worries

we should be worried about the likes of flash explosions

and the intense heat associated.

Do the Navy lads wear similar dri flos - how are they compatabile with the anti flash hoods

Comment

Aren't the naval services uniforms all natural fibres?
                          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I diverted this interesting thread onto a flaminable tangent

Sorry about that.

Comment

• Working...
                              X