This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    What's the feelings in the PDF on the newer lighter fleece?
    Terrible in my opinion. They are more suited as an extra layer then a "warm top". Fair enough when part of a properly executed layering system. But terrible if you just want to throw on a warm top going on stag etc not a big fan at all...particularly in this cold weather!
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffman View Post
      Terrible in my opinion. They are more suited as an extra layer then a "warm top". Fair enough when part of a properly executed layering system. But terrible if you just want to throw on a warm top going on stag etc not a big fan at all...particularly in this cold weather!
      If you dont like it, ill take it off your hands :D
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by F_M View Post
        I have had the DPM norgie for the best part of a year. Nice piece of kit. Big improvement of the big old plastic one.
        ]

Is it good enough so that you wont need to buy a snugpack?

The thing wrong with the shopping spree on dpm middle layers is that the increased costs to get the softshell & norwegian could have bought snugpacks.
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Snugpacks are great for when you are static(and they did buy them in limited numbers for some appointments) but too warm when on the move.The new style norgie is great.Not too thick that you roast when mobile but when worn with a long sleeve driflo and a issue shirt they are toasty when on the move.Also nice and compact in your patrol pack so you have more room for mission essentials whilst not having to ditch your warm top.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I agree, handy enough when used for tipping about. But there is a lack of an issued warm top for going static. The new norgie doesn't cut it in the cold and means young fellas relying on issue kit have to stick their barrack jackets in the back pack, hardly ideal!
            "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

• I agree.I think we got it right and wrong with the Bk jacket.
              Right in that it is ideal for Bks use for normal duties on its own and under a smock/wet jkt when cold on Regimental duty.
              Wrong in that it is too big and bulky for field use.Not compressable etc.I understand the logic of it being issued.To cut down on the amount of smocks that were being issued,but i think we need to revisit the idea.A DPM Buffalo or snugpack would have been ideal.However i don't think either would be suitable as an outer garment for day to day use as they are too easily ripped.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                I agree, handy enough when used for tipping about. But there is a lack of an issued warm top for going static. The new norgie doesn't cut it in the cold and means young fellas relying on issue kit have to stick their barrack jackets in the back pack, hardly ideal!
                Surely they'd be better off packing the old style Norgie as pack the Bks jacket ? Would certainly compress better, I'd say....
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  Surely they'd be better off packing the old style Norgie as pack the Bks jacket ? Would certainly compress better, I'd say....
                  The younger guys aren't going to have the old style Norwegian to give them a choice
                  CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• also recruits pack what they are told. Personal purchases are not allowed as a recruit

Comment

• FYI the 2013 RFT for DPM uniforms was published on tuesday last.Most of the items of kit being procured over the next three years are the same as what we have now with a few changes to existing items.Notable changes.
                      Separate male and female DPM shirts.Chest pocket height to be raised.
                      Defence Forces Ireland labels being removed from the DRIFLOS and Norgie shirt.
                      Defence Forces Ireland badge on smock/shirt/fleece being replaced by "Oglaigh na hEireann" badge same style.
                      UBACS shirt going on issue.
                      Interestingly no new stock of desert DPM is being procured.i guess they dont need to stock up with ISAF drawing down next year.
                      First deliveries of the new stock next january.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Defence Forces Ireland badge on smock/shirt/fleece being replaced by "Oglaigh na hEireann" badge same style.
                        Very happy with this.
                        Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
                          Very happy with this.

Me too. For the same reason I suspect.
                          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                          He put a bullet through his brain.
                          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• I am of two minds.When the DF Ireland badges came out only three years ago the justification was "force protection".That I support even if it did look at bit OTT.
                            With the change to the Gaelic version I also understand it."lets reclaim the name from the IRA" bit.That i also support.
                            BUT.......
                            Are the powers that be using us now to make political statements???
                            Doesn't the change negate the FP property of the badge overseas as no body apart from us will understand it!!!

Comment

• Does the giant shoulder flash not negate the need for the badge altogether? That and the vest and CBA obscuring the badge.
                              Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Is there a pic of this new badge, we need also to saturate the public with the fact that it is us who are the real ONH and not the Gerry Adams criminal fraternity.
                                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                                X