X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knocker View Post
    Terrier

You have said on the drill thread that you are not serving in the reserve or the regulars. Why the comment on the new design for the trousers ?
    I also said that I was following closely the career of someone who is in the DF.

2 + 2 = ?:wink:

P.S. I have no intention of identifying he/she/it for obvious(?) reasons.

No offence meant.

Comment

Aren't the naval services uniforms all natural fibres?
      can't be certain but there was and undertaking to remove man made fibres from Garments worn on ahipa due to the evidence who dangerous they were after the falk lands war.

For my time there everything on isue was cotton or wool . Not sure waht the crteria is now by Im sure in some areas nomex has been introduced as part of the fire retradent outer layer.s
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Didnt the british navy go back to using natural fibres after the falklands?
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
          I've had my dri flo struck by sparks and it hasn't went up in a sheet of flame
          The issue isn't that it burns, the issue is that it melts into your skin, leaving you requiring a lot of skin grafts.

Comment

Am I being too worried about driflos
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Put it this way. Some of the armed forces that encounter these fire threats on a daily basis in war zones banned their use by personnel.

They even went as far as developing specific flame retardant suits for vehicle crews and anyone travelling in them for extended periods of time.

I wont wear anything other than cotton when working around flames and inflammable materials (oxy acethlene, welding, fuel transfers, composite layups).

Great for running around and training, or when I'm doing sports, but on the job, a big no no.
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                The issue isn't that it burns, the issue is that it melts into your skin, leaving you requiring a lot of skin grafts.
                I am aware of that - it was a big issue during the falklands. What I meant was, for day to day use around barracks etc (and i speak as someone who isn't serving) I imagine its fine, its not going to go up in a sheet of flame. However if you were going to be in operations where there is a risk of fire (at sea, overseas, combat) then dri flo would not be suitable........

As I have said, the alternatives that would provide equivalent properties for breathability and comfort are the Helly Hansen system or to go with a merino wool garment or possibly that new bamboo based stuff......

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  I dont think sparks are our main worries
                  I wasn't suggesting they were. It was meant as an example of how sparks will melt dri flo tops, and extrapolating that in event of fire or explosion they would melt to your skin, hence not the safest option for military use.
                  CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

No to zips to replace buttons
                    Zips on smock breast - excellent Arktis smock have them
                    Nothing wrong with norge IMHO, except many too heavy
                    IMHO fleece should be replaced by a Snugpak type packet
                    Larger tricolour - not sure
                    Logo & "Irish Defence Forces" - depends on design, if black & low vis ok
                    DPM driflo - can it then be used as dpm outer? Could do away with need for one with shirt sleeves
                    che che - ?????
                    barcodes - will they come off in the wash? will they be unique to that individual item (would it be cheaper to print the persons name & number on it?
                    redesigned shirt pockets - no way
                    reinforced groin area - definitely required!! (my issue is older and I've never had any problems)

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      DPM driflo - can it then be used as dpm outer? Could do away with need for one with shirt sleeves
                      che che - ?????
                      barcodes - will they come off in the wash? will they be unique to that individual item (would it be cheaper to print the persons name & number on it?
                      reinforced groin area - definitely required!! (my issue is older and I've never had any problems)

A Larger Tri-Colour is needed for Overseas deployments..

A Che Che I think is a Shesh..a camo'd wrap around.

Was told last week Bar codes are already in..All new issue. It would make sence to put name/Number..Stop them selling it on Ebay.

Comment

che che - ?????
                        Is this a che che?

Comment

Yeah
                          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

che che - ?????
                            As well as the zips melting when there washed and left on a radiator, seen it happen more than once with smocks.

Thats to get to the inside pocket not the outside pockets, the zips won't work unless the pocket is angled so stop everything falling out.

The Fleece should be replaced with something like a snugpak.

The tri colour is to reduce costs, no more need to buy a small one and a larger one for over seas anymore.

If the dpm dryflo comes in it WILL be worn as an outer layer and olny because people can get away with it.

Reinforced the groin as much as you want but it will still burst because they are uni-sex trousers so they don't fit anyone propertly. Go into any hiking shop and pick up a pair of women's hiking trousers and a men's pair and you'll see that they are cut and sticked differently to hold together better.
                            Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                              Now, why didn't we think of that back in the mid 1970's to mid 1980s, when pleading for an issue of a second set of combats for Cash & Explosive Patrols, we had to make do with ponchos, and in the winter ponchos with an army blanket worn as a poncho liner.

But then again we had no alternative but to tough it out.
                              different type of person we were then cs the only question i would ask is where do soldiers store all that gear they now seem to have a different outfit for every occasion.. will the barcode replace the big service number or is that gone as well .. great to see new gear but with the recession its quality will come into question

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                                the only question i would ask is where do soldiers store all that gear they now seem to have a different outfit for every occasion.
                                F*** me, don't get my missus started. She's sick of wardrobes filling up with the kit that overflows from my two lockers full in barracks!! Webbing and field gear fills one locker on it's own
                                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Working...
                                X