Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was in the clothing stores with the guys when they were issued the DPM driflos, and there was no handing in of kit for them or anything else, you just handed in any old kit if you had some haunting the wardrobe.
    I dunno how strictly the "One for one" system is being enforced in 2 Bde but it is being rigidly enforced down south.The lads working in the Company stores have to bring down ten old pairs of boots if ten new pairs are being issued out for example.There is a drive on to reduce the amount of surplus kit findings its way onto eBay at the moment.You want new kit.You hand in an old item.

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    So are these DPM driflos IRR treated? I remember hearing a story about how the Brits used to issue a DPM fleece which wasn't IRR treated, but because it was DPM it was worn as an outer layer on the ground, and glowed like a christmas tree when viewed using night vision.
    They are IRR treated.

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
    They shouldn't be used as the external layer anyway, shirt/ubacs & CBA so IRR wouldn't serve any purpose.
    They are used as an external layer in camp overseas,on work details in warm weather at home and can be used as an outer layer during battle PT.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      I dunno how strictly the "One for one" system is being enforced in 2 Bde but it is being rigidly enforced down south.The lads working in the Company stores have to bring down ten old pairs of boots if ten new pairs are being issued out for example.There is a drive on to reduce the amount of surplus kit findings its way onto eBay at the moment...
      2 Bde are enforcing the policy too...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
        They shouldn't be used as the external layer anyway, shirt/ubacs & CBA so IRR wouldn't serve any purpose.
        As Apod says the whole point of having them in DPM is that they can be worn as an external layer

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          As Apod says the whole point of having them in DPM is that they can be worn as an external layer
          With the weather we had today, that's no bad thing... :-O
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Only in the limited circumstances I outlined above though chaps.Unless a policy to the contrary comes from on high we will still be wearing shirts as the default outer layer.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Enough talking about the bloody things!!Pictures dammit!!

Comment

• tbh I,ve seen them been worn as an outer - and seen them under the shirt
                either way there no big deal??
                I mean there basically a posh t shirt wgaf????
                Last edited by kaiser; 7 July 2013, 23:01.

Comment

• Got my paws on one today.Looks nice.Will take awhile to get used to seeing them worn under the shirts on parade.Don't like the big stitched on tricolour on the sleeve though.A screen printed one would have been better.Something like the DFI logo on the front.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                    Got my paws on one today.Looks nice.Will take awhile to get used to seeing them worn under the shirts on parade.Don't like the big stitched on tricolour on the sleeve though.A screen printed one would have been better.Something like the DFI logo on the front.
                    For a fella looking for pics of it, I notice your post is lacking in photos!

The screen printed one would peel off easily enough though, no? The logos on my OG dri-flos are all peeling
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• If you wash them correctly that doesn't happen.I have DRIFLO I was issued for UNMIL in '06 which is still going strong.Logos and all.
                      In answer to your other point.You cant take pics in a Military stores now can you!

Comment

• have to say I just throw them in the machine with other clothes and never had a logo come of?

Comment

• Saw something unusual the other day, one of the older shirts just out of the packet and the tricolour was sewn on back to front! there's probably a few floating around with that defect. I'd love to see some BSM notice it just before a GOH!
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Saw something unusual the other day, one of the older shirts just out of the packet and the tricolour was sewn on back to front! there's probably a few floating around with that defect. I'd love to see some BSM notice it just before a GOH!
                            It was part of the batch destined for the forces of the Ivory Coast
                            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                            He put a bullet through his brain.
                            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Saw something unusual the other day, one of the older shirts just out of the packet and the tricolour was sewn on back to front! there's probably a few floating around with that defect. I'd love to see some BSM notice it just before a GOH!
                              I've seen it a few times, GOHs aren't done in DPMs

Try seeing the Maltese flag on Irish DPMs in the Cadet School, very strange.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                I've seen it a few times, GOHs aren't done in DPMs
                                Then the GOHs we've done for ministers /& GOCs weren't done?

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X