Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
    it's not what democracy is about.
    The Defence Forces defend democracy we don't practice it.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post

(2) Uniform may be worn by members -

(a) when attending Church Services;

(b) when attending social functions promoted under State or official military auspices,
      or promoted by recognised Welfare Committees of the Defence Forces;

(c) on such other occasions as may be permitted by -

(i) the General Officer Commanding the Formation or Flag Officer Commanding
      the Naval Service in the case of officers, and

(ii) the Officer Commanding the Unit in the case of reservists.
      Uniform - prohibition of wearing.
      One of the guys said his commanding officer said it was ok. Whats the deal there?

Comment

Do you really believe that?

Comment

Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
          One of the guys said his commanding officer said it was ok. Whats the deal there?
          You're gullible
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
          Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
          Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
          Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Saw two plonkers wearing dpm trousers today in the City. One in a pennys cammo hoodie and dpm trousers outside abrakababra and the other with a white hoodie walking by great out doors.

The first one looked about 12 years old while the other looked like he needed to dance around in the shower to get wet he was so skinny. What a bunch of muppets
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Not acceptable

Cheers

Comment

Was out last night, and i stopped counting the w**nkers and w**nkesses dressed in uniform after about 15. There was this one tool wearing the RDF beret and a soccer jersey I think. Action man and Rambo were the reccurring themes. Makes me very angry to see these boys a**e about in something that I've been trying hard to get into for a good while now. It's either the Gardai are clueless to the '54 act, or are too focused on the muppets knocking bins and the like. Is it not a matter for the MPs? Sure they might as well have a little fun rounding up these gits. Anyone know of MPs ever doing that?
                Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                  Personally I don't like wearing it in Public. I don't wear it when going on the Bus to Parades, I have it in a bag and carry it like that too and from wherever I am going. Unless i am offered a lift.

I actually get alot of sh1t and a load of people asking me "Why don't you wear the uniform coming up?"

My answer is usually along the lines of, "Because I don't want to" Noone likes that answer. It seems that means I am ashamed of it or something.

Mind you, these are all people who drive that ask me, they don't have to put up with the endless barrage of kids asking questions when one does go to adn from training in uniform.
                  Whilst I would certainly never deign to instruct someone to wear uniform going to/from drill, I do absolutely nothing to discourage it. I see nothing wrong with a little positive publicity for the Army.

NTM
                  Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
                    Whilst I would certainly never deign to instruct someone to wear uniform going to/from drill, I do absolutely nothing to discourage it. I see nothing wrong with a little positive publicity for the Army.

NTM
                    I know what Dazzler is on about though, it's not publicity for the Army, it's drawing attention to yourself. Not sure if you noticed but Ireland is FULL of scumbags...
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

I don't have time for muppets on Halloween night in DPM uniform.
                      Its not on, and that is it. Not a lot I can do about it except just ignore these people.

As to the focus of the Gardai on the matter...I would imagine that on Halloween night they have more important things to be looking into. I would imagine that protecting the firefighters/ambulances doing their brave job that are attacked by yobs is a better allocation of resources. And more important too.

Get the MPs onto the matter?
                      If these people can't respect the significance of the uniform, they won't have any for an MP.
                      And it could be a very grey area for the MP to be arresting a civilain (albiet the recovery of defence property) outside a military setting.
                      Coupled with the amount of alcohol and drugs that may factor in, and that these people would be in a gang of similar undesirable people...the MP would be out of his/her depth on the matter too. And probably in danger. And being in a nightclub or in a street in the early hours of the morning, that MP is not going to encounter someone who will be compliant.
                      As I said, the MP would find themselves completely out of their depth on it. An MP trying to arrest some muppet would find that situation would get very messy indeed. And their mates would definitely join in.
                      Could even be a case that they think they think the MP is in fancy dress too...

To sum that up, an MP would be severley out of their depth. I am not having a go at MPs, but the difference between being a member of the Gardai and being an MP in terms of policing and experience dealing with members of the public would be the reason why.

To be the voice of reason on this, its something that we can do nothing about.
                      Last edited by ghostrider; 31 October 2009, 14:07.

Comment

I'm dressing up as a civilian tonight.

NTM
                        Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Out in Cork city the other night.

In 1 club alone I'd say I spotted about 7 army uniforms. Was funny to say the least.

Comment

Ghostrider said
                            Coupled with the amount of alcohol and drugs that may factor in, and that these people would be in a gang of similar undesirable people...the MP would be out of his/her depth on the matter too. And probably in danger. And being in a nightclub or in a street in the early hours of the morning, that MP is not going to encounter someone who will be compliant.
                            I have read your other posts on other threads, Do you actually live in the real world?:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
                              Was out last night, and i stopped counting the w**nkers and w**nkesses dressed in uniform after about 15. There was this one tool wearing the RDF beret and a soccer jersey I think. Action man and Rambo were the reccurring themes. Makes me very angry to see these boys a**e about in something that I've been trying hard to get into for a good while now. It's either the Gardai are clueless to the '54 act, or are too focused on the muppets knocking bins and the like. Is it not a matter for the MPs? Sure they might as well have a little fun rounding up these gits. Anyone know of MPs ever doing that?
                              I would imagine AGS are too focused dealing with the little tossers that are getting their second annual night of attacking firefighters and Paramedics/EMT's, the other of course being paddys day. Confiscating a bit of DPM would be way down their list. Afaik MP's don't have jurisdiction over civilians in Ireland.

Are the people you talk about tossers? Wholeheartedly agree with you, but its a case of priorities.

The other thing to consider is the acts have been done in a "grannies nightdress" manner - they cover absolutely everything, however the implementation and prosecution of those breaching them is another matter.

For instance one of the scout associations on this island used to wear a black beret and latter switched to a blue one (the uniform regulation stated that a "UN Blue Beret" was to be worn) with their own cap badge - a "distinctive" part of the uniform no? Some of the lanyards were very close to PDF lanyards as well.

I know from my own time in that organisation in the 1990's, amongst kids that particularly prized item was the blue beret that someones dad, big brother, uncle etc had worn overseas in the leb or whereever, with the UN cap badge plucked out and replaced with the scout capbadge or to see issue goretex on activities by leaders who were pdf or amongst kids following the introduction of DPM. I imagine a similar situation occurred in the era of the black beret in the 70's etc, yet nobody had the genius idea to invoke the act against thousands of kids and their volunteer leaders for their flagrant breach of the law.
                              Last edited by northie; 1 November 2009, 00:21.

Comment

Originally posted by apc View Post
                                Ghostrider said

I have read your other posts on other threads, Do you actually live in the real world?:confused:
                                Yup apc, I doubt Ghostrider is a member of the PDF
                                Last edited by Craghopper; 1 November 2009, 00:26.

Comment

Working...
                                X