Dressing up in uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northie View Post
    I would imagine AGS are too focused dealing with the little tossers that are getting their second annual night of attacking firefighters and Paramedics/EMT's, the other of course being paddys day. Confiscating a bit of DPM would be way down their list. Afaik MP's don't have jurisdiction over civilians in Ireland.

Are the people you talk about tossers? Wholeheartedly agree with you, but its a case of priorities.

The other thing to consider is the acts have been done in a "grannies nightdress" manner - they cover absolutely everything, however the implementation and prosecution of those breaching them is another matter.

For instance one of the scout associations on this island used to wear a black beret and latter switched to a blue one (the uniform regulation stated that a "UN Blue Beret" was to be worn) with their own cap badge - a "distinctive" part of the uniform no? Some of the lanyards were very close to PDF lanyards as well.

I know from my own time in that organisation in the 1990's, amongst kids that particularly prized item was the blue beret that someones dad, big brother, uncle etc had worn overseas in the leb or whereever, with the UN cap badge plucked out and replaced with the scout capbadge or to see issue goretex on activities by leaders who were pdf or amongst kids following the introduction of DPM. I imagine a similar situation occurred in the era of the black beret in the 70's etc, yet nobody had the genius idea to invoke the act against thousands of kids and their volunteer leaders for their flagrant breach of the law.
    With regards items of U.N. kit, such as the blue beret, U.N. Cap-badge, U.N. Flash, these items are property of the U.N. so they would have to police it as it would not come under Irish Legislation.

When I joined the I.U.N.V.A. veterans association I was told to source a blue beret from the Irish Scouts Association.

That in turn leads to an interesting observation, the use of Irish Military Infantry collar badges displayed on I.U.N.V.A. blazers, along with Irish I-V Harp buttons, and the small tri-colour flash that has obviously been removed from Irish Army DPM Smocks and sewn on the lower sleeve of the I.U.N.V.A. Blazers.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Craghopper and APC....

I think ghostrider made a very valid point with what he said about the MP being well out of their depth.
      He was referring to the fact that if an MP attempted to arrest a civilain on Halloween night for wearing DF property, then the MP would find themselves way out of their depth.
      In a comparison to their role of policing versus the role that the Gardai fulfill.

I can definitely see where he was coming from with what he said, and I will have to agree with him on that.

As to him not being in the PDF, from what I gather he is a recruit/2 star in the RDF. And someone who has his head screwed on too.

He said that there is nothing that can be done about this wearing of uniform. And he also said that allocating gardai on Halloween night to protect firefighters and ambulance crews is a higher priority on the night.
      And he is absolutely correct on that and I am certain that 99.9% of the people on this thread would agree with that statement. Protecting those brave individuals who do a dangerous and vital job, against recovering army uniform is a bit of a no brainer really.

Comment

Defence Act 1954

Arms, etc., of members of the Defence Forces to be exempt from seizure

106.—The arms, ammunition, equipment, service necessaries and clothing of a member of the Defence Forces shall not be liable to be seized under any order, decree or warrant of a court or any document having the same force and effect as such order, decree or warrant or under any other form of distraint.
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

My girlfriend is from Drogheda and she has told me that lately there have been a group of lads going about town dressed in DPM smocks and trousers, treating it like some sort of gang uniform! I thought she was talking about kids until I seen two lads, 1 in Brit DPM trousers and smock and 1 in Irish DPM trousers and smock going into the Windmill Bar before a Drogheda United game not so long ago, they were easily mid twenties. Any IMOers from Drogheda notice these idiots?

Comment

I was in Drogheda about three weeks ago and saw a bunch of guys dressed in fatigues, there was brit dpm and some Irish dpm but mis matched while others were wearing what I think seemed to be czech para smocks, all were well armed with cans of beer and that blue shite that they drink. I think it was a Tuesday night so I dont know if there was a soccer game on if thats the link.
            Never ever eat yellow snow

Comment

Sure there's a shop in temple bar selling irish dpm shirts and trousers.

Comment

Spotted this in today's Indo - http://www.independent.ie/world-news...s-2913641.html

Comment

So Collins having been demoted to Captain was shot by an FCA man....the truth always comes out in the end.....
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Lies heaped on lies.
                    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Apologies for the ancient thread ressurection. I think common sense suggests what the answer is already but I'm going to ask anyway on the off chance I'm wrong.

I am in the RDF and have a military duty on a Sunday morning wearing DPM.

The catch is that I have anniversary mass that I also have attend right before said duty. The timing would be tight.

Question is, can I wear DPM to the mass as it is on the way to my duty and also a religious ceremony or is it a quickly change in car job? Can a jacket be worn over DPM or is that criminal wear of the uniform altogether!

Stupid question and I think I know answer but said I'd ask anyway!

(and to clarify, I have no interest in showboating or drawing attention to myself)

Comment

You must ask your unit but I'm pretty sure you cant wear DPM and I am sure you cant mix uniform and civilian clothing, that's against military law. Your unit should be briefing you on these things. You should not be looking for answers like that on here, you could be misled and get you in trouble

Comment

A bus load of sailors managed to do it on the side of the road in Dublin last Sunday .
                          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Ah my common sense told me know. Just said I'd look for the opinions on here. Almost a question you'd be embarassed to ask in unit being honest!

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                              Apologies for the ancient thread ressurection. I think common sense suggests what the answer is already but I'm going to ask anyway on the off chance I'm wrong.

I am in the RDF and have a military duty on a Sunday morning wearing DPM.

The catch is that I have anniversary mass that I also have attend right before said duty. The timing would be tight.

Question is, can I wear DPM to the mass as it is on the way to my duty and also a religious ceremony or is it a quickly change in car job? Can a jacket be worn over DPM or is that criminal wear of the uniform altogether!

Stupid question and I think I know answer but said I'd ask anyway!

(and to clarify, I have no interest in showboating or drawing attention to myself)
                              DFR R5 Para 59 clearly states uniform can be worn to church services and to/from parades & military duties.

If your wearing uniform do so correctly

Your covered

Comment

As DeV said you allowed wear your uniform to church services. And if you are wearing your uniform wear it correctly I.e. don't throw a civi jacket over it.

Comment

Working...
                                X