No announcement yet.

going enlisted instead of commissioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officially, I will be commissioned in the rank of Second-Lieutenant, with simultaneous promotion to Captain.

I will enter the promotion zone to Major 4 years after, and nothing is stopping me from going up in rank. I will never command a Rifle Coy or an Infantry Battalion, but pretty much everything else is open.
    Seems fair enough, seems the system takes your track record and proven abilities into consideration in your promotion the fact that you won't be capped.

Used to be the case here that CFRs were non staff qualified and held at Cmdt or Lt. Cdr even though they may have held posts above the rank.

I believe that CFRS can now be staff qualified these days although I don't know of anyone who crossed over the line.

i guess my experience in Iraq or two tours of Bosnia, nearly 7 years in Northern Ireland tempered by 22 years colour service
    the 7 years in NI is very poignant when you put it into perspective..one third of your career .

What was the lenght of tours in Iraq and Bosnia just to quantify how much time you have spent away from home so to speak.

I think that alone would shut some up when it comes to comitment to the job and experience gained.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      Seems fair enough, seems the system takes your track record and proven abilities into consideration in your promotion the fact that you won't be capped.

Used to be the case here that CFRs were non staff qualified and held at Cmdt or Lt. Cdr even though they may have held posts above the rank.

I believe that CFRS can now be staff qualified these days although I don't know of anyone who crossed over the line.
      The most recent course had modules to qualify them as Adjutant etc

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        the 7 years in NI is very poignant when you put it into perspective..one third of your career .

What was the lenght of tours in Iraq and Bosnia just to quantify how much time you have spent away from home so to speak.

I think that alone would shut some up when it comes to comitment to the job and experience gained.
        Iraq was a 6 monther, so was Bosnia (twice). i also served for 4 months in the Falklands aswell as 3 tours of 6 weeks each in Jordan, aswell as a month in Italy and weeks here and there all over Europe, aswell as 6 months in Canada from where i have just come back, aswell as 3 other tours of 2 months each out there and not forgetting 2 tours of Cyprus - each of 2 and a half years and 4 years in Germany. oh and there was 2 months in Kenya too.

not to mention the amount of time spent on exercise or on build-up training for operations in other barracks away from home.

in all i spent only 2 years of my first 10 years in England and also only the past 2 years in England with 2 years in Wales before that.

a total of only 6 years of my 22 years service have been in Great Britain, 17 of those years as a an NCO, not worth jack sh|t though to certain people who 'talk the talk' but will never ever 'walk the walk' of any military service.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Let's get back to basics, shall we? Go for a Commission anyday, instead of joining the enlisted ranks. You bear more responsibility but earn far more, enjoy much better terms and conditions, will recieve much, much greater opportunities for sport,education , promotion and advancement, overseas tours (and jollies on the State nipple) and will automatically be treated with a much greater level of personal respect. You'll earn it but will gain entry into a superb post-Service network, which will ease you into a good number when you leave.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Do the DF ever pay for other ranks to do night courses/part time degrees?
            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              Do the DF ever pay for other ranks to do night courses/part time degrees?
              Yes, there's a yearly allowance given to each Brigade from which personnel can recieve funding for earning a degree, doing a course etc.

I don't think they pay the full amount of fee's but they certainly cover some.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                Yes, there's a yearly allowance given to each Brigade from which personnel can recieve funding for earning a degree, doing a course etc.

I don't think they pay the full amount of fee's but they certainly cover some.
                Fair enough, so thats why so many bods do the physio night courses etc.
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  The best comparison I saw with civvy street is NCOs are supervisors, Officers are management.
                  Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                  GF,
                  Another comparison might be that of Doctor and Nurse- both professionals but with clearly defined roles.
                  I've always thought of enlisted vs commissioned to be like a family.

The officers are the parents who look after all the bills and boring stuff while all enlisted folks are children.

The older children are the NCO's who look after their younger brothers and sisters.

Being a child is way more fun
                  Last edited by spaceghetti; 16 May 2011, 21:12.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                    Thanks Danno, you have the intelligence to understand the point that Patrick Hennessy was making so well, as was Gen.Jackson- both distinguished soldiers that we can relate to.
                    I find it interesting, but not surprising that some on here were in such a hurry to challenge a straightfoward discussion point made by Rudolf Neff who joined only recently - it seems some people like to hog every debate and pretend they know better than us as they have some experience in the BA. But they need to raise their game by some measure if they want me to listen to their view instead of the views of professional British soldiers with verifiable combat and leadership experience such as Hennessy or Jackson.

Danno-Thank you for understanding the subtleties of the arguments put forward by those two fine soldiers.
                    Rudolf-you are right -keep up the good work.
                    Tim,I was only stating what PH said,not a thesis on who can or cant post here
                    Are you sure Gen Jackson has any combat experience,if so it is not in his memoirs which do confirm him serving in hotspots but no actual contact.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      elaborate on this please Horgan.

i am soon to be posted back to battalion to serve in Afghanistan, but i have already 'walked the walk' - just down many different paths.

what ever will you do when i have served there?
                      You may not even need to go. There is talk of deploying TA battalions now to Afghanistan, enabling the tired and overstretched regular force to reconstitute. The UKSF have led the way here already.

The argument is to avoid a repeat of the too-hasty "exit" from Maysan in Iraq. As we all know, the "rushed" departure there let to a 5-fold increase in the flow of Iranian mines to Baghdad with a horrific rise in US casualties.

This was followed by a race from Basra before the job was done. The US does not want a repeat of Basra where the situation was saved by tough US combat Teams and "The Charge of the Knights".

what ever will you do when i have served there?
                      I will read it with interest but when I need to make up my mind I will rely on the professonal papers produced for RUSI etc. and keep up to date with the sitreps.

In the meantime, if you do go, I wish you safe home.
                      An Irish Blessing -A Blessing from St. Patrick
                      May the road rise to meet you,
                      May the wind be always at your back,
                      May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                      May the rains fall soft upon your fields,
                      And, until we meet again,
                      May God hold you in the hollow of His hand

2 notes:
                      1). This is a genuine Irish salutation- the "ndeiri an bothar leat" bit is integral- I did not choose the blessing because of that-it is a phrase we still use in Kerry.
                      2). On a more light-hearted note- if a strange man offers you a McFlurry icecream and a lift in his nice Jackal, decline politely and walk. Tell him your mammy said never to take lifts from strange men- and the exercise will do you good.
                      Last edited by timhorgan; 19 May 2011, 10:20.

Comment

MOD: Keep to the thread or points will be issued!

Comment

Working...
                        X