No announcement yet.

Court Martial & punishment in the DF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47 years old, two young kids. Job down the toilet, the man is paying a heavy price.

Comment

Punishments awardable in this instance were:
      1. Imprisonment for 2 years.
      2. Dismissal with ignominy from the Defence Forces.
      3. Dismissal from the Defence Forces.
      4. Reduction to any lower commissioned army rank.
      5. Forfeiture of seniority of rank.
      6. A fine not exceeding an amount equal to ten days’ pay.
      7. Severe reprimand.
      8. Reprimand.

Options rather than mandatory.

He may have being regarded as someone who did not

know when to give it up.?
      Wasn't the issue at the Court Martial. He could only be tried on the accusation and not on opinions.

The court president would have to be very sure that any appeal would fail or a powerful precedent would be set that his descisions could be overturned other wise he has an agenda that won't be questioned and this a big time warning shot that Court Martials are back in vogue.

I.E. how to get rid of people on trumped up charges without having to buy them off.

Back to the Rank thing. Happened a few years ago, officer was alledged to be insubordinate, lost seniority, end of career.Gone quietly within a few years...and the allegation him was far greater than telling his CO that he was a prick..was actually closer to mutiny but thats how it went.

So wheres the precedent and whats the agenda?

Why rock the boat so big time now over what is in effect a very trivial charge given the lower levels of punishment.?

Does a private telling a corporal that he's a prick warrant dismissal or is it because the Lt Col could have him court martial that he did and that a reprimand would be a very minor punishment for a Court Martial force the president into pushing it to the higher grades of punishments.?

Should he have pleaded guilty would the punishment have been any less severe?
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Had a chat with a PDF CQ. He reckons that the the top brass are of the opinion that discipline standards have fallen and they are trying to correct the situation. He also reckons that if all comments were dealt with like that there would be very few left in the DF. Also, as they have the prision back they feel they should use it.

Don't know if that's the case.
        I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
        Who is number 1?

Comment

This case won't go away any time soon. There are seven other court appearances due, relating to this issue. As for general discipline, the DF is far more likely to throw someone out these days, than it ever was.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Not trying to nitpick but if he has been discharged can they bring further charges? That is on the assumption that he is now a civilian. Or has the discharge been delayed?

I reckon this one could have a bit to run.
            I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
            Who is number 1?

Comment

If they're going to jail him I'd imagine they'd only let him go at the end of the sentance, in order to be able to keep him in a military prison. Besides, he still has the right to appeal the verdict, so they can do nothing yet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                Had a chat with a PDF CQ. He reckons that the the top brass are of the opinion that discipline standards have fallen and they are trying to correct the situation. He also reckons that if all comments were dealt with like that there would be very few left in the DF. Also, as they have the prision back they feel they should use it.

Don't know if that's the case.
                An nco friend reckons discipline has dropped alarmingly esp amongst younger soldiers. He has trained recruits and just believes that young people are more willing to push things once out of training.

Absense and being under the influence are major issues as he see's it.
                Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

I heard that some units maintain a "kitty" from which fines can be paid, such is the frequency of individuals being deducted days pay etc for various offences.

No shows for duty being the most common.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    If they're going to jail him I'd imagine they'd only let him go at the end of the sentance, in order to be able to keep him in a military prison. Besides, he still has the right to appeal the verdict, so they can do nothing yet.
                    When someone gets sent to the Digger and part of their punishment involves being discharged, they won't be discharged until they finish their sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      No shows for duty being the most common.
                      Originally posted by ollie View Post
                      Absense and being under the influence are major issues as he see's it.

Sounds like the RDF to me
                      "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• Originally posted by concussion View Post
                        Sounds like the RDF to me
                        Well maybe the PDF have more in common with the RDF than they think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          I heard that some units maintain a "kitty" from which fines can be paid, such is the frequency of individuals being deducted days pay etc for various offences.No shows for duty being the most common.
                          I've seen it happen, but as soon as the powers that be discover whats going on, and start throwing around C.B. this stops very suddenly. The new regulations mean punishments awardable escalate as repeat offences crop up and a trip to the digger will eventually be on the cards for those Wasters who feel they should never have to do weekend duties.
                          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• where did the "digger" name come from for the Curragh Military Prison?
                            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

• court martial

Does anybody have any stats on the output of the CM court,in cases as reported on the Board there has always been a guilty verdict with,at least loss of career.
                              In relation to most recent case it was stated he was a serial redresser with 180 complaints filed. Given that in the usual run of things these would involve officers of equal or superior rank he must have redressed virtually every such officer several times over and gone through a fair few others appointed as investigators.
                              I read the reports of the Ombudsman (ODF) and I dont recall any mention by her of abuse of redress system on the scale alleged by the prosecution.

Comment

• There was mention of one individual who was responsible for a large percentage of applications to the ombudsman. The Ombudsman does not do redress. She only deals with them once the CoS has them.

Comment

Working...
                                X