No announcement yet.

Packing list Battle vest and Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd bin the swiss army knife. It's so 1980s. Leatherman is where its at.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      I'd bin the swiss army knife. It's so 1980s. Leatherman is where its at.
      Leathermans cost money and my 1990s swiss army knife still works!
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• that's always the problem with a bit of good weather....smocks on, smocks off, over the shoulder, smocks back on.....turns into a fashion parade

an alternative is lanyard your knife to trouser belt loop and into one of the hip pockets....hopefully the trousers will always stay on! knife always on your person but not in a location likely to cause you a serious injury when crawling, prone, etc. as for the likes of TAMS, maps, compasses, etc. that's still the same problem swopping from smock pockets to shirt pockets though.
        Last edited by X-RayOne; 19 June 2013, 20:38.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
          that's always the problem with a bit of good weather....smocks on, smocks off, over the shoulder, smocks back on.....turns into a fashion parade

an alternative is lanyard your knife to trouser belt loop and into one of the hip pockets....hopefully the trousers will always stay on! knife always on your person but not in a location likely to cause you a serious injury when crawling, prone, etc. as for the likes of TAMS, maps, compasses, etc. that's still the same problem swopping from smock pockets to shirt pockets though.
          Yup, nothing guaranteed to put a dent in your day more than your Swiss Army knife slicing your todger off....
          Last edited by Truck Driver; 21 June 2013, 08:21.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• My general rule of thumb is that anything you're likely to need immediately, keep the left hand side (assuming your right hand is holding your rifle). Things like rations, metal mug, mozzie repellent can go on the right hand side when you have time to access them.

Comment

• If you are using an issue metal mug (Crusader type) DONT put it in the vest utility pouches.The metal drinking lip will wear a hole in the pouch over time(I have seen it happen)also if your vest utility pouches are anything like the issue vest ones,and they do look like so,the pouches are very tight to get the mug out easily.
              A better setup is to leave the metal mug.cooker and next meal in your patrol pack.You will always have it with you anyway.If you need to brew up it wont be in the middle of an attack etc.Keep some emergency rations(small,high energy can be eaten cold) and a ration pack brew kit along with a lighter and 4 hexi tabs sealed in plastic in one utility pouch.You also put the high energy snacks from the ration pack in there that can be eaten on the move and during lulls in the battle.
              In the other utility pouch keep your IFAK,mossie headnet and mossie rep together.Keep a pull through in your shirt or smock pocket but keep the rest of your RCK in your patrol pack.You wont be fully cleaning your weapon during an attack.
              Camelbak goes in the patrol pack but should be kept in the battlevest during FIBUA. Found that out the hard way when we used to dump our packs in the first room and fight on to the LOE in just our vests.Not nice when you are breathing out your hole sweating like a peado in a santa suit and you r water is three buildings back!!!Not good.
              Also don't be afraid doing FIBUA to trade off your e-rats into your patrol pack to free up an extra pouch for link.Remember the chances are you will drop packs so where is the reserve ammo carried??
              Put your headtorch,spare batteries,tape etc in a small dry bag and put them into the pouch with the IFAK items.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                Things like rations, metal mug, mozzie repellent can go on the right hand side when you have time to access them.
                That is where I carry the IFAK (on the strong hand side); when treating a casualty, you use the casualty's items, so you do not need access to yours.
                "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                  That is where I carry the IFAK (on the strong hand side); when treating a casualty, you use the casualty's items, so you do not need access to yours.
                  I do the same. IFAK on right side, with ammo, bombs and comms on the left side. In the case of TRJ's set up, I'd probably keep the IFAK in the right most ammo pouch (7). That way it's on the right side, but I'm still able to access with my left hand easily enough should I need to perform self aid. Personal preference of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                    If you are using an issue metal mug (Crusader type) DONT put it in the vest utility pouches.The metal drinking lip will wear a hole in the pouch over time(I have seen it happen)also if your vest utility pouches are anything like the issue vest ones,and they do look like so,the pouches are very tight to get the mug out easily.
                    A better setup is to leave the metal mug.cooker and next meal in your patrol pack.You will always have it with you anyway.If you need to brew up it wont be in the middle of an attack etc.
                    Cheers Apod, yeah it's a bit tight in the pouch(/pooch!) so I could see it wearing through if it gets enough use.

Originally posted by apod View Post
                    Keep some emergency rations(small,high energy can be eaten cold) and a ration pack brew kit along with a lighter and 4 hexi tabs sealed in plastic in one utility pouch.You also put the high energy snacks from the ration pack in there that can be eaten on the move and during lulls in the battle.
                    Thats what I've always done with the PLCE, but on this the 2 grenade looking pouches in the pic are too small to fit anything useful really, think they're for field dressings so I thought keeping some small shite in them would maybe be a good idea. Moving the metal mug, rations and hexi looses up a lot of space anyhoo.

Camelbak goes in the patrol pack but should be kept in the battlevest during FIBUA. Found that out the hard way when we used to dump our packs in the first room and fight on to the LOE in just our vests.Not nice when you are breathing out your hole sweating like a peado in a santa suit and you r water is three buildings back!!!Not good.
                    Yeah the mouseholes in between rooms in ft. davis seem to be perfectly designed to not be able to get thru with your daysack!
                    Also don't be afraid doing FIBUA to trade off your e-rats into your patrol pack to free up an extra pouch for link.Remember the chances are you will drop packs so where is the reserve ammo carried??
                    Yeah I've never carried to much of the ration packs on my person tbh, but in the current climate ration packs are kinda a rare sight both for PDF & RDF so it's less of a hassle when the metal mug is just to hold a ziplock full of food!
                    Put your headtorch,spare batteries,tape etc in a small dry bag and put them into the pouch with the IFAK items.
                    Trying to find my small drybag that I usually use for my phone to see if they'll all fit together.

Btw what's the name of the former boyscout training place/rape center that was/is occasionally used for FIBUA? Think it was in Wicklow.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      Cheers Apod, yeah it's a bit tight in the pouch(/pooch!) so I could see it wearing through if it gets enough use.

Thats what I've always done with the PLCE, but on this the 2 grenade looking pouches in the pic are too small to fit anything useful really, think they're for field dressings so I thought keeping some small shite in them would maybe be a good idea. Moving the metal mug, rations and hexi looses up a lot of space anyhoo.

Yeah the mouseholes in between rooms in ft. davis seem to be perfectly designed to not be able to get thru with your daysack!
                      Yeah I've never carried to much of the ration packs on my person tbh, but in the current climate ration packs are kinda a rare sight both for PDF & RDF so it's less of a hassle when the metal mug is just to hold a ziplock full of food!

Trying to find my small drybag that I usually use for my phone to see if they'll all fit together.

Btw what's the name of the former boyscout training place/rape center that was/is occasionally used for FIBUA? Think it was in Wicklow.
                      Lough Dan is the scouting place
                      Clara Laragh Park - was a guy there implicated in child abuse - can't remember if there was a conviction or not
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        Lough Dan is the scouting place
                        Clara Laragh Park - was a guy there implicated in child abuse - can't remember if there was a conviction or not
                        Clara lara might be it, seems to be reopened, place I was on about was in semi ruins so it would have been a lot of work. For some reason Colmswood or colmwood comes to minds but I could be wrong.

Comment

A better setup is to leave the metal mug.cooker and next meal in your patrol pack.You will always have it with you anyway.If you need to brew up it wont be in the middle of an attack etc. Keep some emergency rations(small,high energy can be eaten cold) and a ration pack brew kit along with a lighter and 4 hexi tabs sealed in plastic in one utility pouch.You also put the high energy snacks from the ration pack in there that can be eaten on the move and during lulls in the battle.
                          i've seen this being said for years now by a variety of people and training sources but one thing that's always come to mind for me is this......if your cup is somewhere else (i know patrol pack should be with you always, but doesn't always happen!) how do you brew up from your brew kit and 4 hexi tabs.....without an implement to put the water in and heat

in my experience better to either:
                          1. keep cup in vest with e-rats and brew kit so you can actually brew up. doesn't matter if cup is tight fight. you won't be brewing up mid SIA and when you do you should have the time to get cup out of pouch (its only a few seconds). brew kit in e-rats is for emergencies (hence emergency rations). if somebody is going down and needs hot drinks then more than likely everything is going to be stopped to sort them out.
                          2. if you ditch cup then ditch brew kit and hexis too. rations can be eaten cold and you are carrying water for fluids. no point carrying stuff you can't use.

personally, i carry the mug and e-brew kit and have never had any major problems one way or the other.
                          Last edited by X-RayOne; 21 June 2013, 15:00.
                          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Yes but are you using a PLCE waterbottle pouch or trying to stuff a metal mug in a BV pouch that was not designed to take it??Take my word for it.The crusader style issue mug WILL wear a hole in the pouch over time.
                            If you have to use your emergency rations than you are in E&E mode and have have been separated from your Bergen and POSSIBLY your patrol pack.At that stage you are eating COLD food and NOT brewing up.The hexi tabs are a back up to brew your main rations if resup is late or doesn't come.A bit like the sealed spare socks in your patrol pack.You only use in a emergency.IE your bergen gets destroyed or lost.
                            Also,if your e-rats are stuffed into your metal mug you have to remove them every time you need to brew up out of your main rat pack.Bad drills.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The hexi tabs are a back up to brew your main rations if resup is late or doesn't come.A bit like the sealed spare socks in your patrol pack.You only use in a emergency.IE your bergen gets destroyed or lost..
                              perhaps better to keep them with your main rats or somewhere in patrol pack. If main rations in patrol pack or backpack and they get lost.....spare brew kit and hexis (minus cup) are feck all use to you in bv. if re-supply doesn't happen at least the emergency hexi's are actually with your rations if in patrol pack.

generally mug stays in pouch except for emergencies, just like e-rats. jetboil for normal brewing up.....plus spare gas if re-supply doesn't go to plan....plus you can still use jetboil cup with hexi blocks at a pinch if absolutely necessary.

and yes you are right....bv pouch will get worn if pulling mug in and out all the time but if worst comes to the worst its back to the Q for a replacement or of to barrack tailor for repairs. no biggy.

Comment

• You are missing my point.The emergency hexi tabs are kept separate from your main fuel to ensure you dont dip into them except in an emergency.By keeping them separate you KNOW you always have a reserve.During SERE training we are taught to improvise cooking pots out of old tin cans that can be scavenged.There is your E&E mug.
                                Are you carrying a metal mug and the the jetboil mug??Why?It's just extra weight.
                                Oh and PLCE waterbottle pouches can be easily replaced.IPLCS lower pouches are attached to the vest.You damage one and it's a whole new vest.

Comment

Working...
                                X