No announcement yet.

Packing list Battle vest and Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or Pte x has paraded regularly with his unit for 6 months, issue personal set (from pool if necessary).

It is accounted for every week at parade where chances are it will be used

If he does turn up for 2-4 weeks, pay a visit to the house

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Or Pte x has paraded regularly with his unit for 6 months, issue personal set (from pool if necessary).

It is accounted for every week at parade where chances are it will be used

If he does turn up for 2-4 weeks, pay a visit to the house
      In fairness, when you consider how much voluntary hours the Reservist does and factor that against the cost of IPLCS, even if the Reservist doesn't hand it back, the DF has more than likely profited in not having to pay for man days for the Reservist; thus the loss is negligible.

.....That is of course providing the DF in any way values the time the Reservist commits to the DF.
      Last edited by SwiftandSure; 27 September 2013, 17:33.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        So no one in the PDF has a set of IPLCS at home? Nobody?

Personally I find it retarded that CEFO/CEMO is even serial numbered, I can't imagine many other countries bother doing that. And serial numbers certainly don't stop whole batches of IPLCS going unaccounted for and just being written off. It's another unnecessary paper pushing exercise in an already bureaucratically exhausted organisation.

Maybe if the DF weren't so precious about their particular DPM they'd realise that they could afford to buy a lot more COTS soft ordnance for a lot less, without needing to waste a vast amount of human resources pretending to account for every single set.

I've no issue with pool issue CEFO/CEMO, as long as it's issued individually to troops for their duration of service within that unit. Meaning they can pack and configure it to their personal preference and leave it that way. If that means they take it home because there's no means to securely store it in Bks, so be it. If it's not returned when expected, send them the bill. Simples.
        Back in the day with the TA, I was issued full CEMO (with the exception of weapon & cleaning kit).

Once a year everybody had to turn up for MobEx, with all issued kit, where it was inspected, ticked off the list (even the sleeping-bag liner that NOBODY used or carried) and questions asked as appropriate.

When I transferred units, I had to hand it all back in except for clothing & NBC kit.

It seemed to work.
        Last edited by Flamingo; 27 September 2013, 18:18.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
          Maybe if the DF weren't so precious about their particular DPM they'd realise that they could afford to buy a lot more COTS soft ordnance for a lot less, without needing to waste a vast amount of human resources pretending to account for every single set.
          Completely agree about buying soft ordinance & non outer layer clothing in DPM for no reason at increased costs. Think about all the items that used to be COTS but are now proprietary DPM; Poncho, Basha, Fleece, Gloves, Kit bags, BV, Daysack & Rucksack, dryflos, Norwegians...the list goes on. I don't think you'd be far off to guess that having stuff made in DPM adds 20% to the cost for absolutely no gain in capability.
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Since the re-org every barracks ( AFAICS ) has a surfeit of lockers and rooms for them.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              Since the re-org every barracks ( AFAICS ) has a surfeit of lockers and rooms for them.
              For the RDF?

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                Since the re-org every barracks ( AFAICS ) has a surfeit of lockers and rooms for them.
                Actually its quite the opposite. Since the barrack closures in 2009 and 2012, barracks are literally bursting at the seams. Most barracks are now using containers for offices and storage as there's no habitable buildings for the purpose.

Comment

• Yes, you cant centralise units and locations without the foresight of buying land around existing barracks to increase their capacity. Why am I not surprised...
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                    Yes, you cant centralise units and locations without the foresight of buying land around existing barracks to increase their capacity. Why am I not surprised...
                    I can't fault this statement... I know it's a morbid analogy, but even graveyards have been known to expand as required by the expedient of the local authority
                    buying additional land adjoining the existing graveyard...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      I can't fault this statement... I know it's a morbid analogy, but even graveyards have been known to expand as required by the expedient of the local authority
                      buying additional land adjoining the existing graveyard...
                      Speaking of which, I see renovation work going on at the building opposite the DFTC fire station (part of the MP School, I think), and 62 RAR's former lines down near
                      Connolly have been levelled. Any ideas what's going on ?
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        Yes, you cant centralise units and locations without the foresight of buying land around existing barracks to increase their capacity. Why am I not surprised...
                        The excuse for closing barracks is to save money so it defeats the purpose if millions have to be spent buying expensive urban land or property for development.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                          The excuse for closing barracks is to save money so it defeats the purpose if millions have to be spent buying expensive urban land or property for development.
                          The major expenses being duties, transport & stores/account management (mainly the pay and amount of personnel involved).

Comment

• The idea of buying more land and expanding barracks' belongs in the same place as the one where barracks' have loads of spare lockers and rooms.

That place is Oppositeland.

Comment

• Actually its quite the opposite. Since the barrack closures in 2009 and 2012, barracks are literally bursting at the seams. Most barracks are now using containers for offices and storage as there's no habitable buildings for the purpose.
                              I would argue they closed the wrong locations and should have closed barracks in the middle of Cities and towns that had no room for expansion and should have picked a few almost green filed sites and developed them. Collins in Cork is the prime example, the gathered every little unit in the south and dumped it in a very restricted location, while the still had Fitzgerald Camp in Fermoy that was prime for redevelopment and is now more accessible to training areas than any other location outside of the Curragh

Very poor forward planning. Again Murphy Bks in Ballincollig was the same, huge hinterland, closed and units moved to Collins, gone now, probably the only site they made a decent return on, but a mistake all the same.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                I would argue they closed the wrong locations and should have closed barracks in the middle of Cities and towns that had no room for expansion and should have picked a few almost green filed sites and developed them. Collins in Cork is the prime example, the gathered every little unit in the south and dumped it in a very restricted location, while the still had Fitzgerald Camp in Fermoy that was prime for redevelopment and is now more accessible to training areas than any other location outside of the Curragh

Very poor forward planning. Again Murphy Bks in Ballincollig was the same, huge hinterland, closed and units moved to Collins, gone now, probably the only site they made a decent return on, but a mistake all the same.
                                I think it was you, Murph, in the past, who made the point about military bks in urban areas being close to rivers, main road routes, etc. Examples, being Clancy, Collins, CBB in Dublin, Collins in Cork
                                As was mentioned, the need for resupply of bks by boat upstream is long gone, and posts at the outskirts of urban areas would do just as well with the current road network
                                Obviously not going to happen with the current situation

Comment

Working...
                                X