Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  205
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    With a cover, few will notice the difference.
    Exactly. Here it is covered alongside my PPE too...

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Goldie fish, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    I always think this is one of the best threads on IMO- Its what IMO should be about. Well done lads.

What should go into a personal combat first aid kit- ?
    To answer your question Hedge, I think the bare minimum on your person should be this....

TCCC + Med Tac Aide
    CAT
    Izzy Dressing
    Rubber Gloves

Bagged up with blood group and ZAP number on bag. Comfortably fits in map pocket (map for scale).

This kit would probably cost about €20, but would be far more suitable for immediate trauma care than the small FFDs we carry in our arm pockets. Not to mention more accessible for self aid if it's in your trouser map pocket.

4. Likes hedgehog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    To answer your question Hedge, I think the bare minimum on your person should be this....

TCCC + Med Tac Aide
    CAT
    Izzy Dressing
    Rubber Gloves
    You're missing some items in there: you should have 2 dressings and 2 H&H compressed gauzes to pack wounds. And in case you treat some locals, a few more pairs of gloves !!
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus a yellow Cyalume for night time casualty marking.
    Putting the dressing in the thigh pocket is gone out with the Ark.What happens when you have to wade a river??SOP for most armies that have them is one dressing in each sleeve pocket along with a CAT.In case the other arm/hand is out of action.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

7. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now gents I did say 'bare minimum'. Which is still far superior to what we're issued. You'll note from my previous posts that the IFAK I carry on my vest is far more comprehensive. I can repost it if necessary. I also did the advanced tactical medic course with the ESTI which was instructed by serving US SWAT and Military instructors. So while I'm no authority on the subject, I'm not completely naive either.

I agree about the trouser map pocket comment, but the smock arm pocket is too small for purpose. Plus if the opposing arm/hand is damaged, you won't be able to access the FFD for self aid. The front smock pockets would be obstructed by CBA and BV for ease of access. Which is why I mentioned the trouser map pocket for a CAT and FFD on your first line kit. Hopefully the new UBACS coming on stream will have more accommodating real estate on the arms.

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to go full gucci S&S buy this for your CAT

http://www.1110gear.com/eleven-10-ky...urniquet-case/
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vaguely remember Apod answering this before but I can't find the thread, where does the bayonet go on the IPLCS BV? Edit - Scratch that found the post.

On the back of the daysack & main pack there's a female quick release buckle on a kinda triangular strip of webbing, what's it for? Is it for stopping a radio/some other heavy thing bouncing around? The Webbing on with the male end of the buckle is attached to the front of the daysack, can't remember where the male end is on the main pack.

Without the sizing stick thing they have in stores how do you figure out how to adjust the back of the main pack? Maybe this; http://www.lowealpine.com/support/fitting-a-tfx-pack ?
    Last edited by The real Jack; 26th February 2014 at 18:47.

11. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume it in to secure/compress the load

Post Thanks / Like
    On the back of the daysack & main pack there's a female quick release buckle on a kinda triangular strip of webbing, what's it for? Is it for stopping a radio/some other heavy thing bouncing around? The Webbing on with the male end of the buckle is attached to the front of the daysack, can't remember where the male end is on the main pack.
    Both those central straps under the lids of the respective packs are to secure the packs if you have to leave the drawcords/snowlocks open when carrying larger loads or if you need access to radio controls etc.They are also used to compress large loads when packed or to carry(in the Bergens case) the Infantry rollmat stretcher(your own rollmat is on the lower front )

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

14. Thanks The real Jack thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought of an important point for all the IPLCS B.V virgins out there.Make sure you get the right size from stores.Small.medium and large.The sizes equate to the wearers height not chest/waist size.As a guide only people over 6ft tall should use a large.

16. Thanks The real Jack, DeV, SwiftandSure thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apod when wearing the vest should it be tight on you or is a little "bounce" in the front normal?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    Apod when wearing the vest should it be tight on you or is a little "bounce" in the front normal?
    That'll be the belly
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    It really depends on how tight the side adjusters are and if the front straps are done up.The key to the vest being comfortable is the belt.it holds it all together and stops the back piece riding up.I posted before in this thread how you need to adjust/tape the belt to make it 100% snug.Adjusting the side straps is a buddy buddy effort initially.Then you tape them.After that each time you put it on it should be the same fit.Keep track of the serial number and where possible request that vest each time you draw IPLCS.You can leave the straps /belt taped when returning it to stores as long as the vest is clean.

To reiterate.NCO's make sure the right sizes are issued to the people of corresponding height!!.A 5" 5 person will suffer big time id wearing a large vest.

PS: Forgot to add when wearing the BV with the bottom side straps unclipped IE when worn with Patrol pack or Bergen the vest gets pushed up slightly at the front and can feel looser than normal but tha'st where the BV belt comes into its own keeping the BV tight to you.
    Last edited by apod; 13th March 2014 at 17:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    It really depends on how tight the side adjusters are and if the front straps are done up.The key to the vest being comfortable is the belt.it holds it all together and stops the back piece riding up.I posted before in this thread how you need to adjust/tape the belt to make it 100% snug.Adjusting the side straps is a buddy buddy effort initially.Then you tape them.After that each time you put it on it should be the same fit.Keep track of the serial number and where possible request that vest each time you draw IPLCS.You can leave the straps /belt taped when returning it to stores as long as the vest is clean.

To reiterate.NCO's make sure the right sizes are issued to the people of corresponding height!!.A 5" 5 person will suffer big time id wearing a large vest.

PS: Forgot to add when wearing the BV with the bottom side straps unclipped IE when worn with Patrol pack or Bergen the vest gets pushed up slightly at the front and can feel looser than normal but tha'st where the BV belt comes into its own keeping the BV tight to you.
    Why do you undo those clips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its so the hip pad on the backpack or waiststrap on the daysack can be secured around the body.

Do the straps go over or through the clips?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

22. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do the straps go over or through the clips?
    Not sure what you are getting at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you are getting at.
    I thought that you might weave the straps on the backpack or daysack through the vest, but then you couldn't get it off easily.

Was at my gear tonight and tightened up the belt on the vest and it sits much better. Put the backpack straps on the lowest setting too so the hip pads are on my hips.

Cheers for all the advice you give Apod.

25. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that you might weave the straps on the backpack or daysack through the vest, but then you couldn't get it off easily.
    WTF??
    No mate.You just put on the vest and close it up.If worn with Bergen open the clips on the bottom side adjuster and pull the utility pouches up and over "curve" of the bergen hip belt.When bergen is not worn close those clips.You can do same when Patrol pack is worn.

Was at my gear tonight and tightened up the belt on the vest and it sits much better. Put the backpack straps on the lowest setting too so the hip pads are on my hips.
    I hope you got properly sized before messing around with the torso setting on the Bergen.We are all different torso lengths and a 6ft tall monster may have a shorter torso than a 5"4 anklebiter as their height might be due to longer legs!
    In order to avoid injury gets sized properly! NB if you score an 18 or less on the sizing jig move the top tensioners to the lower triglide buckles behind the shoulders.The shoulder straps should cup the shoulders when worn should not pull "off" the shoulder.Make sure you put on the BV when making final adjustments to the Bergen straps.The sternum strap should run just below the bottom of the second MOLLE strip from the top of each shoulder.This should place that strap just above the PRR or M203 pouch if worn.

Cheers for all the advice you give Apod.
    That's what I am here for.If ANYBODY needs advice on this kit contact me.It is NOT the same or as simple as PLCE and needs a bit of tinkering to get right, comfortable and safe.
    The kit is expensive too and you need to look after it.

PS:Have you read the TI on it Bam Bam?

27. Thanks Captain Edmund Blackadder thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS:Have you read the TI on it Bam Bam?
    Any chance of a look?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Any chance of a look?
    Check PM's

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought these might help for those who have yet to see them.

31. Thanks SwiftandSure, The real Jack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An these too

33. Thanks SwiftandSure, The real Jack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An these too
    Cheers Apod. Hadn't seen this one
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Apod, I used the measuring thingy when I was in the Clothing stores so i've my pack set for as tall as it'll go. In some sort of magical coincidence the stores staff actually gave me a Helmet & BV that fit me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now to the liners for both the bergen and Patrol pack.There are pros and cons to them.On the plus side they are light and fairly waterproof when close correctly.The are also "box" shaped as opposed to tubular so you can fit larger item in on their side instaed of having to pack them vertically.They are NOT 100% waterproof though and you will still need to use smaller dry bags or ziplocs to ensure the contents stay dry.
    The larger dry bag is also useless as it is sized for the lenght of the bergen when the internal divider is open.Once fitted you can't use the lower compartment of the Bergen separately which defeats the whole idea of having a separate compartment.The liner CAN be used for the top compartment but is really too long when used in this manner.Besides all that should be in the top compartment is your Patrol pack,which is lined anyway,and as you need to be able to whip that out quickly in a shoot and scoot situation having it packed inside the liner is a no no.
    So in short leave the larger liner back in Bks unless you intend doing a full immersion river crossing.Use the small liner but make sure your Dry items in that are also separately waterproofed.

OH almost forgot.Both liners have velcro closures.Really non tac they are

37. Thanks SwiftandSure thanked for this post

Thread Information