Packing list Battle vest and Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apod View Post
    Gonna throw a spanner in the works here for a minute.If you are normal PDF/RDF infantry etc the wing packing list is probably not the best to follow.Its specific to selection and the idea is to load you up to a set weight for their tests.Thats BEFORE you get issued Ordnance.If you go by their packing list you will end up carrying too much and be wrecked alltoghter when your Pln Sgt or Sect 2i/c divvys out the kit to you.
    Just as an example.if you go by the ARW packing list.You are carrying 2x 2.1 Litre Camelbacks and two 1 Litre issue waterbottles.Thats 6.2 litres of water.Unless you are SF doing long range Recce.Which we arent.You dont need that much.
    Just some food for thought.
    I thought it was just the vest? Where would you fit 2 camelbaks and 2 canteens? As well as all the other stuff? Or does the packing list include daysack as well?

Comment

Going by the ARW list you carry one Camelbak in the vest and the other in the Daysack(or a two litre plastic bottle).The two waterbottles go in the side pouch of the Bergen.
      The snag with carrying a camelbak in the vest whilst wearing the daysack is that the movement of a fully laden daysack whilst say doing contact drills for example can cause the Bladder underneath to burst.This is only made worse if you have CBA on under your vest as the camelbak gets caught between the rear plate and the daysack.
      What we normally do is to carry one camelbak in the daysack.Vest and daysack is CEFO anyway.We rarely operate in just vests apart from Mech Inf.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Going by the ARW list you carry one Camelbak in the vest and the other in the Daysack(or a two litre plastic bottle).The two waterbottles go in the side pouch of the Bergen.
        The snag with carrying a camelbak in the vest whilst wearing the daysack is that the movement of a fully laden daysack whilst say doing contact drills for example can cause the Bladder underneath to burst.This is only made worse if you have CBA on under your vest as the camelbak gets caught between the rear plate and the daysack.
        What we normally do is to carry one camelbak in the daysack.Vest and daysack is CEFO anyway.We rarely operate in just vests apart from Mech Inf.
        I actually had that same problem with my old 1.5ltr camelbak, it had a lot of pressure on it when i was carrying a pack that i thought it would burst, so I went out and got a 3ltr and basically just filled it up half way. It helped a good bit because the extra space allows it to spread out more over your back. I put the 1.5ltr one in my daysack or in the bergen then.

Comment

There much be fairly s**t then. I have always had source, they are literally strong enough to stand on when full. I've fallen from a four foot drop onto my back whist wearing CBA and have it not burst (13 stone, excluding all the gear) I'll always swear by them.

RVOps video.
          Last edited by paul; 12 June 2010, 15:24.
          Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

There much be fairly s**t then. I have always had source, they are literally strong enough to stand on when full. I've fallen from a four foot drop onto my back whist wearing CBA and have it not burst (13 stone, excluding all the gear) I'll always swear by them.
            Good for you mate.Actually Camelbak are fairly good.I guess thats why they are the most widely issued Hydration bladder worldwide.But a plastic bladder is just that.Plastic.You put enough force against it.It will burst.No matter who makes it.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Good for you mate.Actually Camelbak are fairly good.I guess thats why they are the most widely issued Hydration bladder worldwide.But a plastic bladder is just that.Plastic.You put enough force against it.It will burst.No matter who makes it.
              Yes, but if the internal pressure when you put it in between your back and a heavy bergen only reaches levels which will cause failure when the bergen is far heavier than any human could carry then it's safe enough to leave it in your vest with a bergen on (not that I'm saying that the source bladders are necessarily capable of withstanding this, just pointing out that it's not impossible).

I own both a camelbak and a couple of source bladders - I use the source ones, every time. The openings, seams and the material itself are far sturdier, they're less of a drama to clean (put your hand inside your camelbak some day and have a feel of the slime that builds up on them), and as the nice people at RVOps demonstrate, you can stand on it without it bursting, which is not something I'd even try with a camelbak. I suspect, apod, that the reason why camelbaks are so widely issued is more to do with interoperability with CBRN kit that you get with camelbaks than with reasons of quality - the tender would say "must be compatible with CBRN drinking tube", thus automatically disqualifying source bladders.

Comment

A distinct possibility on the CBRN front.However there is an anti microbial coating on the inside of the issue Camelbaks to prevent the build up you speak of.They still need a good clean out though every so often having said all that.
                As for the weight thing i will still advocate transfering the bladder to the daysack when worn with the vest.Why take the chance of loosing your vital water.I have seen bladders leak whilst on fairly arduous exercises.Maybe it was the bladder,or maybe it was the user.Who knows.Its never happened to me thankfully.Perhaps because i dont take the chance and i look after my kit.Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  (put your hand inside your camelbak some day and have a feel of the slime that builds up on them).
                  It depends on what type of camelbak you get. Some types have them, some don't. I have that lining in my one anyways.

Comment

Courtesy of Certa Cito

Admin In The Field - IPLCS
                    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Actually Source do make a CBRN compatible tube.

Comment

They both do CBRN resistance to contaminating the water in the pouch up to a certain length of time. I think the camelbak specs are available on their site but I don't think source is openly available. This though is probally easily found out with an email, but I'm too lazy to do it and I don't need to know

Comment

Good for you mate.Actually Camelbak are fairly good.I guess thats why they are the most widely issued Hydration bladder worldwide.
                          Apparently the issue hydration system for the USMC is from Source.

These are two of USMC versions on issue:

The Camelbaks currently in use by the US Army are apparently being replaced by Source packs.

And i'm not too sure but i think the British Army are replacing their Camelbaks with Source packs as well.
                          Last edited by spaceghetti; 26 June 2010, 18:24.

Comment

There are 2 flaws that I have found using the Source, the tube is a little too short and it could be insulated better like the carrier for the pouch is, but saying this, the issue one has a long insulated tube but the pouch isn't insulated at all, not pleasant when its hot out. These problems could easily be fixed when ordering off them or just buying a replacement tube.

Comment

The Camelbak tube is also easier to operate singlehanded .The source one isnt.Also the source tube doesnt take a CBRN adaptor.

Comment

The Camelbak tube is also easier to operate singlehanded .The source one isnt.Also the source tube doesnt take a CBRN adaptor.

They are both just as easy to use single handed and the source one has a 25% higher flow rate too. On the CBRN front they do sell tubes to fit them, you just have to state it when ordering.

Comment

Working...
                                X