Packing list Battle vest and Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    You are only entitled to the operational boots etc if the course includes a 72 hour ex.

It is well known in the PDF that up until recently daysacks were not on issue and had to purchased.
    Yes but in the joining instructions for courses it may have recommended a patrol pack but it was not mandatory! From what I hear the patrol pack is mandatory on the RDF STD NCO course!
    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      You are only entitled to the operational boots etc if the course includes a 72 hour ex.

It is well known in the PDF that up until recently daysacks were not on issue and had to purchased.
      Indeed there is a lot of stuff that has been private purchase and will continue to be so. But when you have a cse. requirement for an item of kit that is not on the scale of issue thats unfair on lads who can't afford to be shelling out reddies on somethign that is not being made available to them. PDF lads can also justify spending money on such kit as it is vital part of what they need for work. I shell out for suits, ties and smart shoes in work as they are part of what is required for the job that earns me my money and I've no problem doing so. Some people aren't in the position to justify spending big amounts on patrol packs when what they have been issued is rocket pouches. In saying that I bought most of my stuff privately, as I was in a position to do so and there are load of RDF lads who have the gucci-est of gucci in all things tactical (see recent abuse / posts in relevant threads).

The boots issue is just annoying as its that fine line. Eg. a 71hr exs. (FUUUUUUUUUUUU) so as that they don't have to issue tac boots. I can understand this a lot of the time as I'm sure there will be shortages particularly when they have to make sure there is enough kit for the new intake as well as the boys going over seas. Who obviously need it more than we do.
      "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

No one says grand new a cheap good daysack can be picked up on eBay. The duration of exercises can be found on syllabai. I've only ever seen 24/36/72 hours.

Comment

Just to go back on topic for a bit...

I have a thing made up on "what to carry and where to carry it" which I made up for my POTs cse a few years ago, its based on having a smock & PLCE but sure it would give an an idication on where to put things on a BV if anyone wants it just send me a PM and I'll dig it out and send it to ya

Comment

There was a centrespread in the Connect only last september/october from the NCOTW outlining the packing ofd the IPLCS as per their SOP for the Standard Course.

PS: IPLCS load carriage items are serial numbered items that are only supposed to be issued out on a soldiers AF721.They are not usually "loaned out".
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              There was a centrespread in the Connect only last september/october from the NCOTW outlining the packing ofd the IPLCS as per their SOP for the Standard Course.

PS: IPLCS load carriage items are serial numbered items that are only supposed to be issued out on a soldiers AF721.They are not usually "loaned out".
              For our St. Patricks Day parade we got to "borrow" some battle vests, I remember thinking when I was handing it back to our cadre to bring them back to Cork "thats the last time i'll get to wear one of them for a while"!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
                For our St. Patricks Day parade we got to "borrow" some battle vests, I remember thinking when I was handing it back to our cadre to bring them back to Cork "thats the last time i'll get to wear one of them for a while"!!!
                That shit just boils my blood!

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                  I agree, It sucked getting to put it on, fit it to yourself, get comfortable in it etc. only to have to give it back! we had steyrs too some with the new sights and some with m203's attached, prob never gonna get to use them!

Comment

Why?
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Why?
                      Because it's all well and good to roll us out in front of the public kitted out properly in the contemporary issue gear for the sake of keeping up appearances, but as soon as we're away from public eyes we're condemned to using the dilapidated hand-me-down pool issue 90s shite to actually soldier in.

It's insulting.

It's as though the DF are ashamed to publicly present us in the state that we're actually in.

Comment

Because it's all well and good to roll us out in front of the public kitted out properly in the contemporary issue gear for the sake of keeping up appearances, but as soon as we're away from public eyes we're condemned to using the dilapidated hand-me-down pool issue 90s shite to actually soldier in.

It's insulting.

It's as though the DF are ashamed to publicly present us in the state that we're actually in.
                        FFS there is nothing wrong with the issue PLCE.The only reasons the PDF are no longer using it was because it was incompatable with APC and heli ops which are our main modes of transport Overseas.For RDF use it is perfectly acceptable.The PLCE was only brought in back in 1991 and it
                        was used by us for 17 years. Alott less time than 58 pattern.You were not in the old reserve so probably don't remember what that was like.Then we had something to crib about!

I agree though.the RDF shouldnt be paraded around in kit they are not issued with just to make them look gucci to the public.PLCE would have sufficed.In fact the St Patricks day parade in Tralee had RDF troops doing just that.Only a few years ago my unit paraded through Limerick on St Patricks day wearing PLCE.What was the problem? None.

Sure we all want to play with the latest Gucci kit.It's a soldiers nature,along with the nature to crib.But get this.We are all on different rungs of the ladder.The boys in the wing always get the very latest kit.The PDF is always a step behind and the RDF is always at the bottom of the pile by virtue of their place in the food chain.It sucks yeah,but it ain't going to change anytime soon.

Comment

Well said.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I agree but having said that standardising dress and equipment across the DF would bring economies of scale.

Comment

Not really when such kit is expensive to provide. Much easier to purchase new kit for those who need it, and hand down their second hand stuff to those who need it less.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

FFS there is nothing wrong with the issue PLCE.
                                There isn't no, when it's new or Grade 1, and on personal issue so it can be fitted correctly.

But when it's given to you at the last minute from pool issue, missing clips, buckles, pouches, straps cut away and the material ripped/torn or even melted in some circumstances, it's no longer serviceable.

I agree though.the RDF shouldnt be paraded around in kit they are not issued with just to make them look gucci to the public.PLCE would have sufficed.In fact the St Patricks day parade in Tralee had RDF troops doing just that.Only a few years ago my unit paraded through Limerick on St Patricks day wearing PLCE.What was the problem? None.

Sure we all want to play with the latest Gucci kit.It's a soldiers nature,along with the nature to crib.But get this.We are all on different rungs of the ladder.The boys in the wing always get the very latest kit.The PDF is always a step behind and the RDF is always at the bottom of the pile by virtue of their place in the food chain.It sucks yeah,but it ain't going to change anytime soon.
                                I don't disagree.

I fully accept that I (we) am at the bottom of the pile. I get what I want out of the RDF, so I'm happy where I am. I wouldn't want to go overseas or be called up to shovel snow, dig sandbags or stag on a gate because the pay and terms would be shit. It suits me personally that the RDF is in the position it's in because it doesn't impact on my home life unless I want it to.

That's not necessarily what I want for the RDF as a whole though. I've written all over these boards where I'd like to see the RDF heading. I know we're not ever going to be major league high speed door kickers fighting terrorism in foreign fields, nor do I expect us all to have personal issue NVGs, MOLLE PCs, and AUG A3s. But I would like it if the RDF was afforded the small amount of respect it deserves when it does achieve and/or excels the standard beset for it, and given a proper seat at the DF table when it comes to deciding all matters RDF. Not just playing dress up for the local paper on St Patrick's Day, then stripped and put back in it's box like an illegitimate ginger love child.

I buy my own Gucci gear, because the issued stuff is consistently of a poor standard (it's shite basically), couldn't give a fĂșck what people think of me for wearing it. One thing I will say though, when you see reservists go into the field, more often than not, those that settle solely for what little the DF actually issues, tend to cry off early with blisters in their 24Bs, no energy bars in their CEFO, working off a ladle full of Hotlock Stew, weren't issued a Norgie, no brew kit, no gloves.... Etc etc.
                                The lads who've taken the time/money to build their own CEFO whether Belt kits / Vests / Chest Rigs, bought their own boots, base layers, warm gear, daysacks, who won't compromise on what the DF thinks is good enough for them; they're the guys who'll still be walking tall at Endex.

I reserve my right to crib.

Comment

Working...
                                X