Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  205
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    AFAIK the Lowe Alpine shop in Tullamore had the issue BV but in OG.Lowe alpine rarely sell their military range direct to the public these days though.

The plan AFAIK is for 50ish sets of IPLCS to be issued per coy initially as their thinking thats all that would be using it on an exercise as it would be rare for 100% mobilisation.I pointed out "what happens in the event of a general mobilisation".I got a blank stare.
    Knowing the DF 50 will translate to 20.

How many people are in the PDF (the vast majority having individual issue IPLCS) ?
    How many sets were purchased ?
    Maths has never been my strong point but.....

My old coy had 10 complete sets of PLCE 3 years ago, some of which had minor damage. Don't know if thinks improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
    These pop up every now and again on fleabay for about 50 squids.

Haven't had a chance to use one in anger yet, but it seems a mighty fine piece of kit. Similar enough in lay out to the IPLCS rig. The ammo and utility pouches are fixed, but the vests come with a butt load of PALS pouches.

So no grat, 10% pay cut and buy your own kit (which you can't buy in the shops and won't be allowed use).

Post Thanks / Like
    FOR SALE : Protac IP-DPM battlevest, one careful RDF owner

DESCRIPTION : Not as gucchi as issue vest, but looks very similar. at a glance people will think you are PDF, as opposed to all the other Reserves wearing no CEFO at all.

USER REVIEWS : once highly ridiculed as only an item a gucchi kit monster would be seen wearing. now enjoying a return in the military fashion Single Force Concept catalogue. bound to be the must have item for 2013/2014

The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

3. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Lower than a snakes balls Duffman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
    These pop up every now and again on fleabay for about 50 squids.

Haven't had a chance to use one in anger yet, but it seems a mighty fine piece of kit. Similar enough in lay out to the IPLCS rig. The ammo and utility pouches are fixed, but the vests come with a butt load of PALS pouches.

After putting both the Karrimor and issue BV to the test. I think the Karrimor is actually a marginally better vest in terms of load carrying and durability (ie. your zip won't snap off after a few days of hard use like it does on the BV) . Stick a Protac Admin pouch on it and you're laughing.
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any advice on a good reasonably cheap battle vest? Looking on ebay it seems that a british army can be got for about £20+postage, but I don't like that the ammo pouches are on one side so it'd be unbalanced most of the time. The karrimor one would be nice but there's no way I'll spend that much. Have a few weeks to decide & order before a Bn ex and to find out if we actually have any IPLCS in the stores for us to use.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a few Dutch MOLLE vests on Ebay, pouches would be cheap enough too, plenty of "job lot" molle pouches being sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Anyone have any advice on a good reasonably cheap battle vest? Looking on ebay it seems that a british army can be got for about £20+postage, but I don't like that the ammo pouches are on one side so it'd be unbalanced most of the time. The karrimor one would be nice but there's no way I'll spend that much. Have a few weeks to decide & order before a Bn ex and to find out if we actually have any IPLCS in the stores for us to use.

While Proper Prior Planning and any fool can be uncomfortable hold true.
    I'd be very much of the opinion of let them issue it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    While Proper Prior Planning and any fool can be uncomfortable hold true.
    I'd be very much of the opinion of let them issue it
    I'm definitely holding off for the mo, I still have my issue PLCE, backpack and helmet etc but I'm not super confident in there being anything available on time due to the reorg and promotion spiral going on in the Bn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mkay I got hold of a chape Arktis vest, should hold up for a while anyway. Just figuring out how to pack it now.

Any pointers/criticisms of this set up?;

1. Ammo
    2. Ammo
    3. Metal Mug, Camo cream, Mossie repellant, insulation tape, lighter, spare batteries, cleaning kit
    4. Field dressing
    5. Small 1st aid kit
    6. Rations, Head torch, spork, Hexi
    7. Ammo
    8. Ammo
    9. Swiss army knife
    10. Camelbak if not in daysack

and in the inside pockets of the vest itself I've map/notebook/tac aide/compass usual shite.

Depending on the feeding arrangements the metal mug and hexi would be left in the daysack or binned. If there's going to be a ridiculous amount of ammo in the daysack the camelback will be put into the daysack to avoid it getting burst. Anything glaringly wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    i know this will start a whole CEFO packing, SOP, personal comfort debate but my two cents on the vest above would be as follows:

All rations, metal mug, hexi, in pouch no.6. that way its all together and you're not rooting through different pouches for a feed.

all the spare batteries, cleaning kit, etc. in pouch no.3 so they are all together also. i'd throw first aid kit in there too, freeing up a grenade pouch higher on vest.

swiss army knife would go in smock on lanyard so its always available regardless of webbing worn or not. would also free up another little pouch.

but that would just be my preferences.
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

11. Likes The real Jack, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    swiss army knife would go in smock on lanyard so its always available regardless of webbing worn or not. would also free up another little pouch.

but that would just be my preferences.
    I'd move the swiss army knife to the smock if I knew for sure I'd be using it. I'm setting the gear up for some upcoming FIBUA and last time there wasn't a smock in sight. If i could get some sort of belt pouch for it that wont interfere with anything I'll go with that. If the weather is shocking the smock will come back in fashion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd bin the swiss army knife. It's so 1980s. Leatherman is where its at.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I'd bin the swiss army knife. It's so 1980s. Leatherman is where its at.
    Leathermans cost money and my 1990s swiss army knife still works!

15. Likes SwiftandSure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's always the problem with a bit of good weather....smocks on, smocks off, over the shoulder, smocks back on.....turns into a fashion parade

an alternative is lanyard your knife to trouser belt loop and into one of the hip pockets....hopefully the trousers will always stay on! knife always on your person but not in a location likely to cause you a serious injury when crawling, prone, etc. as for the likes of TAMS, maps, compasses, etc. that's still the same problem swopping from smock pockets to shirt pockets though.
    Last edited by X-RayOne; 19th June 2013 at 20:38.

17. Likes RoyalGreenJacket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    that's always the problem with a bit of good weather....smocks on, smocks off, over the shoulder, smocks back on.....turns into a fashion parade

an alternative is lanyard your knife to trouser belt loop and into one of the hip pockets....hopefully the trousers will always stay on! knife always on your person but not in a location likely to cause you a serious injury when crawling, prone, etc. as for the likes of TAMS, maps, compasses, etc. that's still the same problem swopping from smock pockets to shirt pockets though.
    Yup, nothing guaranteed to put a dent in your day more than your Swiss Army knife slicing your todger off....
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 21st June 2013 at 08:21.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    My general rule of thumb is that anything you're likely to need immediately, keep the left hand side (assuming your right hand is holding your rifle). Things like rations, metal mug, mozzie repellent can go on the right hand side when you have time to access them.

20. Likes DeV, Flamingo, hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using an issue metal mug (Crusader type) DONT put it in the vest utility pouches.The metal drinking lip will wear a hole in the pouch over time(I have seen it happen)also if your vest utility pouches are anything like the issue vest ones,and they do look like so,the pouches are very tight to get the mug out easily.
    A better setup is to leave the metal mug.cooker and next meal in your patrol pack.You will always have it with you anyway.If you need to brew up it wont be in the middle of an attack etc.Keep some emergency rations(small,high energy can be eaten cold) and a ration pack brew kit along with a lighter and 4 hexi tabs sealed in plastic in one utility pouch.You also put the high energy snacks from the ration pack in there that can be eaten on the move and during lulls in the battle.
    In the other utility pouch keep your IFAK,mossie headnet and mossie rep together.Keep a pull through in your shirt or smock pocket but keep the rest of your RCK in your patrol pack.You wont be fully cleaning your weapon during an attack.
    Camelbak goes in the patrol pack but should be kept in the battlevest during FIBUA. Found that out the hard way when we used to dump our packs in the first room and fight on to the LOE in just our vests.Not nice when you are breathing out your hole sweating like a peado in a santa suit and you r water is three buildings back!!!Not good.
    Also don't be afraid doing FIBUA to trade off your e-rats into your patrol pack to free up an extra pouch for link.Remember the chances are you will drop packs so where is the reserve ammo carried??
    Put your headtorch,spare batteries,tape etc in a small dry bag and put them into the pouch with the IFAK items.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

22. Thanks The real Jack thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Things like rations, metal mug, mozzie repellent can go on the right hand side when you have time to access them.
    That is where I carry the IFAK (on the strong hand side); when treating a casualty, you use the casualty's items, so you do not need access to yours.
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle View Post
    That is where I carry the IFAK (on the strong hand side); when treating a casualty, you use the casualty's items, so you do not need access to yours.
    I do the same. IFAK on right side, with ammo, bombs and comms on the left side. In the case of TRJ's set up, I'd probably keep the IFAK in the right most ammo pouch (7). That way it's on the right side, but I'm still able to access with my left hand easily enough should I need to perform self aid. Personal preference of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using an issue metal mug (Crusader type) DONT put it in the vest utility pouches.The metal drinking lip will wear a hole in the pouch over time(I have seen it happen)also if your vest utility pouches are anything like the issue vest ones,and they do look like so,the pouches are very tight to get the mug out easily.
    A better setup is to leave the metal mug.cooker and next meal in your patrol pack.You will always have it with you anyway.If you need to brew up it wont be in the middle of an attack etc.
    Cheers Apod, yeah it's a bit tight in the pouch(/pooch!) so I could see it wearing through if it gets enough use.

Keep some emergency rations(small,high energy can be eaten cold) and a ration pack brew kit along with a lighter and 4 hexi tabs sealed in plastic in one utility pouch.You also put the high energy snacks from the ration pack in there that can be eaten on the move and during lulls in the battle.
    Thats what I've always done with the PLCE, but on this the 2 grenade looking pouches in the pic are too small to fit anything useful really, think they're for field dressings so I thought keeping some small shite in them would maybe be a good idea. Moving the metal mug, rations and hexi looses up a lot of space anyhoo.

Camelbak goes in the patrol pack but should be kept in the battlevest during FIBUA. Found that out the hard way when we used to dump our packs in the first room and fight on to the LOE in just our vests.Not nice when you are breathing out your hole sweating like a peado in a santa suit and you r water is three buildings back!!!Not good.
    Yeah the mouseholes in between rooms in ft. davis seem to be perfectly designed to not be able to get thru with your daysack!
    Also don't be afraid doing FIBUA to trade off your e-rats into your patrol pack to free up an extra pouch for link.Remember the chances are you will drop packs so where is the reserve ammo carried??
    Yeah I've never carried to much of the ration packs on my person tbh, but in the current climate ration packs are kinda a rare sight both for PDF & RDF so it's less of a hassle when the metal mug is just to hold a ziplock full of food!
    Put your headtorch,spare batteries,tape etc in a small dry bag and put them into the pouch with the IFAK items.
    Trying to find my small drybag that I usually use for my phone to see if they'll all fit together.

Btw what's the name of the former boyscout training place/rape center that was/is occasionally used for FIBUA? Think it was in Wicklow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Cheers Apod, yeah it's a bit tight in the pouch(/pooch!) so I could see it wearing through if it gets enough use.

Thats what I've always done with the PLCE, but on this the 2 grenade looking pouches in the pic are too small to fit anything useful really, think they're for field dressings so I thought keeping some small shite in them would maybe be a good idea. Moving the metal mug, rations and hexi looses up a lot of space anyhoo.

Yeah the mouseholes in between rooms in ft. davis seem to be perfectly designed to not be able to get thru with your daysack!
    Yeah I've never carried to much of the ration packs on my person tbh, but in the current climate ration packs are kinda a rare sight both for PDF & RDF so it's less of a hassle when the metal mug is just to hold a ziplock full of food!

Trying to find my small drybag that I usually use for my phone to see if they'll all fit together.

Btw what's the name of the former boyscout training place/rape center that was/is occasionally used for FIBUA? Think it was in Wicklow.
    Lough Dan is the scouting place
    Clara Laragh Park - was a guy there implicated in child abuse - can't remember if there was a conviction or not
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Lough Dan is the scouting place
    Clara Laragh Park - was a guy there implicated in child abuse - can't remember if there was a conviction or not
    Clara lara might be it, seems to be reopened, place I was on about was in semi ruins so it would have been a lot of work. For some reason Colmswood or colmwood comes to minds but I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    A better setup is to leave the metal mug.cooker and next meal in your patrol pack.You will always have it with you anyway.If you need to brew up it wont be in the middle of an attack etc. Keep some emergency rations(small,high energy can be eaten cold) and a ration pack brew kit along with a lighter and 4 hexi tabs sealed in plastic in one utility pouch.You also put the high energy snacks from the ration pack in there that can be eaten on the move and during lulls in the battle.
    i've seen this being said for years now by a variety of people and training sources but one thing that's always come to mind for me is this......if your cup is somewhere else (i know patrol pack should be with you always, but doesn't always happen!) how do you brew up from your brew kit and 4 hexi tabs.....without an implement to put the water in and heat

in my experience better to either:
    1. keep cup in vest with e-rats and brew kit so you can actually brew up. doesn't matter if cup is tight fight. you won't be brewing up mid SIA and when you do you should have the time to get cup out of pouch (its only a few seconds). brew kit in e-rats is for emergencies (hence emergency rations). if somebody is going down and needs hot drinks then more than likely everything is going to be stopped to sort them out.
    2. if you ditch cup then ditch brew kit and hexis too. rations can be eaten cold and you are carrying water for fluids. no point carrying stuff you can't use.

personally, i carry the mug and e-brew kit and have never had any major problems one way or the other.
    Last edited by X-RayOne; 21st June 2013 at 15:00.

29. Likes gibedepusib0ss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but are you using a PLCE waterbottle pouch or trying to stuff a metal mug in a BV pouch that was not designed to take it??Take my word for it.The crusader style issue mug WILL wear a hole in the pouch over time.
    If you have to use your emergency rations than you are in E&E mode and have have been separated from your Bergen and POSSIBLY your patrol pack.At that stage you are eating COLD food and NOT brewing up.The hexi tabs are a back up to brew your main rations if resup is late or doesn't come.A bit like the sealed spare socks in your patrol pack.You only use in a emergency.IE your bergen gets destroyed or lost.
    Also,if your e-rats are stuffed into your metal mug you have to remove them every time you need to brew up out of your main rat pack.Bad drills.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

31. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The hexi tabs are a back up to brew your main rations if resup is late or doesn't come.A bit like the sealed spare socks in your patrol pack.You only use in a emergency.IE your bergen gets destroyed or lost..
    perhaps better to keep them with your main rats or somewhere in patrol pack. If main rations in patrol pack or backpack and they get lost.....spare brew kit and hexis (minus cup) are feck all use to you in bv. if re-supply doesn't happen at least the emergency hexi's are actually with your rations if in patrol pack.

generally mug stays in pouch except for emergencies, just like e-rats. jetboil for normal brewing up.....plus spare gas if re-supply doesn't go to plan....plus you can still use jetboil cup with hexi blocks at a pinch if absolutely necessary.

and yes you are right....bv pouch will get worn if pulling mug in and out all the time but if worst comes to the worst its back to the Q for a replacement or of to barrack tailor for repairs. no biggy.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are missing my point.The emergency hexi tabs are kept separate from your main fuel to ensure you dont dip into them except in an emergency.By keeping them separate you KNOW you always have a reserve.During SERE training we are taught to improvise cooking pots out of old tin cans that can be scavenged.There is your E&E mug.
    Are you carrying a metal mug and the the jetboil mug??Why?It's just extra weight.
    Oh and PLCE waterbottle pouches can be easily replaced.IPLCS lower pouches are attached to the vest.You damage one and it's a whole new vest.

34. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post

Thread Information