New Rifle or Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rifle or Upgrade

Looks like the thread on which rifle is the best will be answered. There is a board to sit on looking at a new rifle, upgrade, systems upgrade of the A3 . there is four options sorry cant remember the last one.

What do you mean?

......you have seen the other thread yeah?

It was closed though. It went on for about 50 pages.

On another note. Steyr Arms have released their own official STANAG compatible butt group. As opposed to the one by MSAR and the other by TPD for their own rifles which may not be completely compatible with the original AUG.

Here:

If the MSAR and TPD parts are compatible with the original AUG then it should also be possible to convert it to use 6.8mm ammunition.

Comment

Sorry not really a tech head about weapons. All I know they are going to look at the Aug compare its to whats out there and upgrades of the Aug to see do we need to change or upgrade.

Comment

New optics please!
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
          What do you mean?

......you have seen the other thread yeah?

It was closed though. It went on for about 50 pages....
          .... which presumably is why Holdfast started this thread, rather than post in the original one

Hadn't heard this

S' pose the selection of a new rifle would depend on a few things. Some to consider would be:

Are we staying with a 5.56mm calibre ? Logic suggests so, as this is the current NATO standard

The FN-FAL stayed in DF service for nigh on 40 years, the Steyr is being replaced after
          20 odd years. Does this suggest that the DF has not got VFM from the Steyr ? I don' t think
          so, just increased usage, with increased overseas missions. I think the Steyr has served us
          well, and the fact that the design is in service for almost 40 years suggests that it is
          doing the business

Compatibility with current equipment (webbing, storage facilities,
          use of the rifle in vehicles, etc) - in other words, the same exhaustive
          tests carried out when selecting the Steyr

Simplicity of use - the only crib I have with the AUG, I have to confess, is the ALO
          Too easy to disengage it with all that goes with that, and too difficult to re-engage it
          again without a key, screwdriver head, pliers, etc. Maybe some people have strong
          fingernails for this, but I just find this too fiddly

I' m sure ye guys can come up with several more...
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

My wish list for a new Steyr or new rifle altogether would be:

- Illuminated definitve point of aim for night shooting.
            - Better (more combat effective) sling, preferably 3 point harness.
            - Selector switch instead of ALO (as rightly stated by TD).
            - Picatinny railing for accessories and various optics.
            - More comprehensive cleaning kit on issue.

Comment

[QUOTE=Truck Driver;304790]....

The FN-FAL stayed in DF service for nigh on 40 years, the Steyr is being replaced after
              20 odd years. Does this suggest that the DF has not got VFM from the Steyr ? I don' t think
              so, just increased usage, with increased overseas missions. I think the Steyr has served us
              well, and the fact that the design is in service for almost 40 years suggests that it is
              doing the business

QUOTE]

The FN was in only in service with the PDF from 1961 to 1987, the steyr is coming up to the same milestone.

They may decide to replace it or on an upgrade like new zealand that will keep it in service till around 2030
              Last edited by paul g; 11 June 2010, 13:03.

Comment

I would have thought an upgrade was by far the most likely solution too. Any move to an intermediate caliber is several years away, if it ever happens. The Steyr is mechanically still very contemporary - the DF bought well in 86. There hasn't exactly been any great steps forward in firearms design in the last 20 years.

The primary issue with the Steyr seems to be the sight and the lack of rails. A batch purchase of new receivers (or entire A3 weapons) would deal with these issues, without bringing about any need for revised training, maintenance or other changes. The DF could then go and buy some more modern combat optics - there's plenty of choice in the market at the moment.

Comment

as has been said....most likely change if any would be rail system and accesories ( optics, torches, etc. ).

the steyr has proved its reliability in desert, jungle, artic and temperate overseas missions and at home has been popular and again reliable since its introduction. its as effective as any of the newer developed rifles and has plenty of life left in it too.

bearing in mind current financial restrictions on DF, cheapest option i would think it to upgrade rather than go through full trial program and then completely replace existing stock.
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

a rail system and selector switch would really be the only things that i could think of...the sling is a nice to have, not a need to have, the current one does the job. an upgrade then?
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

A3 weights a stupid amount and the one I held didn't even have a mag on it!

An upgrade with rails, the safety selector from the A3 (gets rid of the ALO, as there is a semi and auto selection), possibly a stronger body group and the same or similar to the SA80 3-point sling. My two cents.
                      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

A bolt release would be nice aswell, but I'd settle for rails so we can add a range of decent optics/lasers.

(if we count our rounds properly, we should always get our mag changes correct )
                        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

I thought the PDF were already in the process of upgrading the optics to Elcans? Using an A2 housing group?

Like what their using here:

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
                            A bolt release would be nice aswell, but I'd settle for rails so we can add a range of decent optics/lasers.

(if we count our rounds properly, we should always get our mag changes correct )
                            The MSAR STG-556 seems to have all those solutions.

A visit with Anthony Marfione Jr., son of Microtech owner and founder. We talk about the Microtech history, their different models, the passion of knifemaki...

(You have to skip to 22:30 before they show the STG-556)

OR!!!!

we could get these!

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
                            Last edited by spaceghetti; 11 June 2010, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              .... which presumably is why Holdfast started this thread, rather than post in the original one
                              I meant that i didn't know what he meant and that if he was looking for info he could have gone to that thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X