Thanks Thanks:  426
Likes Likes:  940
Dislikes Dislikes:  24
Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1584
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjock View Post
    The DA05 had/has an update that replaces the magnetron with a solid state amplifier and adds digital processing/new displays and frequency agility etc. Just reuses the antenna. Still quite a long range piece of equipment.

Here is a recent upgrade from Indonesia:

http://www.janes.com/article/65261/r...e-indodef16-d3

This obviously didn't happen in the end:
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...hp/t-8991.html
    If the DA05 has been upgraded with frequency agility, maybe a Traveling Wave Tube, then I am well placated. The discussions were publicised in the second reference in 2006, so DID IT Happen! Originally there were two modes , Raw (actual ) Radar returns and Secondary Radar taking returns from aircraft transponders, in all modes ,such as Code Charlie unidentified or all identity Modes through specific IFF interrogation. In general Capital equipment suffers from Day One, due to dilution of funds, and lack of professional courage to expend maintenance budgets on high cost items.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 19th May 2017 at 09:23.

2. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    If the DA05 has been upgraded with frequency agility, maybe a Traveling Wave Tube, then I am well placated. The discussions were publicised in the second reference in 2006, so DID IT Happen! Originally there were two modes , Raw (actual ) Radar returns and Secondary Radar taking returns from aircraft transponders, in all modes ,such as Code Charlie unidentified or all identity Modes through specific IFF interrogation. In general Capital equipment suffers from Day One, due to dilution of funds, and lack of professional courage to expend maintenance budgets on high cost items.
    Apologies, I should have been more clear the DA05 has an update available.

I am not aware that it has been implemented here.

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing capabilities which the DF had, that did not cost the earth yet provided a useful real world military function, just wither away...

I can't see how it will change, short of official EU pressure demanding a given set of capabilities from each member state.

5. Likes Jetjock, Tempest, restless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    Seeing capabilities which the DF had, that did not cost the earth yet provided a useful real world military function, just wither away...

I can't see how it will change, short of official EU pressure demanding a given set of capabilities from each member state.
    A mobile radar with 130km range is a national security asset. Seeing something like that fall into disrepair is symptomatic of a wider problem within the DF-those in senior career positions are yes men who are appointed based on how they interact with the Dept and politicians rather than their advocacy of DF needs and requirements.

The appearance of COS Vice Admiral MM on Prime Time during the week only reinforces that sentiment. His answers to the tough questions were those of a politician and went along the lines of " I am satisfied that all branches of the DF are properly staffed and equipped to carry out their duties". We all know that is horse manure. I had high hopes for him.

7. Likes Banner liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have often ignored EU pressure to do things that didn't suit us. (VRT is a prime example). Its only when you have politicians interested in advancing, and capable of getting support of the public, their fellow politicians, and most importantly those in charge of the purse strings.
    With that in mind, we lost a huge friend to the Defence Forces in the Death of Brian Linehan Jr. He was able to provide funding for the vessel replacement programme during the worst part of the recession. Ironically during th ekey period the Defence Portfolio was held by the Taoiseach, Brian Cowen, who had replaced Willie O'Dea who had no interest in anything Defence related, unless it involved his constituency of limerick, and if it could drive down O'Connell st in Limerick for the Paddys day parade. Willie sat on the proposals for the ship replacement for no good reason, greatly delaying the entire process, and possibly costing the state a few million in the process. Cowen was able to familiarise Tony Killeen on the progress of the Plan, so he knew what was happening when he became minister and knew what the party line was.

At present we have no minister for Defence. The incumbent has announced his retirement, and a replacement for the position will be the job of whoever replaces him as Taoiseach. The Minister for state at the department, a farmer by profession, has neither knowledge nor interest in the position, apart from increasing his own political and public profile.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

9. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, restless, ias liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was believed a Seaking could land crossdeck in an emergency
    Not a hope in hell. Having worked with similar types of machine such as the S61N after the NS I realised how big the aircraft was.

The dauphins rotor disc was 1,205ft with a diameter of 39ft and the overall length of the fuselage helo being 45ft

The Seaking rotor disc is 3,020ft with a rotor diameter of 62 feet and an overall length of fuselage being 55ft.

Absolutely no safety margin, was never going to happen but the handling characteristics were never trialed.. but the again some RAF lunatic did put a Chinook on a Castle Class OPV in a hurry once upon a time.

However if the flight deck had been built to extend over the quarter deck we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Just visiting

11. Likes Tempest, Spark23 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just visiting

13. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry HTP, attachments invalid, there's a surprise on the forum!

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like rather an interesting option: https://www.fassmer.de/en/shipbuildi...sels/opv-2020/

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think LNG would make a lot of sense.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet, but in the near future perhaps.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

18. Thanks pym thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like

LNG

Maybe for large ships MAXI's and Cruise Liners. Liquefied gas is at minus 260deg F and has to be control released (Boiling Off) to be combustible. It was originally fed to a Steam boiler system for propulsion but can now be adapted to various combinations, such as gas/diesel. Fueling processes may be restricted to an in port process. How a pressured system , on a warship ,would respond to the kinetic energy released by a shell or missile srike has to be contemplated . I'm afraid the warship market is plagued with innovation and industry led developments.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 21st May 2017 at 19:32.

20. Thanks na grohmití, pym, Graylion thanked for this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, not too sure about the LNG either, but I do like the overall concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 22nd May 2017 at 19:39.
    Just visiting

23. Likes Tempest, restless, pym, ias, Galloglass liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    what year was this and is that a rib on the top deck forward of the funnels?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    That was the Original location of the Sea Riders, high up, mounted pointing aft.

26. Thanks ias, restless thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    1986 , Seariders were mounted on the boat deck as it was originally designed, the mounts were arse about face and the boats had to be turned and lowered before launching. usually on the way out the harbour, Bastard of a job. Cradles for the boats were repositioned in 87 to face the right way round.
    The original cranes were a disaster and suffered terribly from corrosion. Boats them selves were good piece of kit but were a bit underpowered with a single 70hp engine. We used to thrash them. I blew a head gasket in one and had to paddle the think back.

The photo was taken for Cara Magazine, Aer Lingus, in flight Magazine, few other notable photos including the cover of Aidan McIvors book were taken from the same photo shoot.

Hifr was a craic as you had to ground the Dauphin because of the static build up. Length of chain with a metal pod a a 2 inch square lump of steel you had to stand on to keep contact with the deck while trying to touch the winch line with the hook and rod.....and the safety barriers were down!!!!!

First time out I wasn't wearing safety boots, just leather soled shoes..skated my way across the wet deck when the ship rolled. Flight deck life jackets were always a bit suspect!!!
    Just visiting

28. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, restless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a bit crowded on occasion
    Just visiting

30. Thanks na grohmití, ias, morpheus thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, morpheus, Tempest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was never going to fit!!!!!!! and if it did, we'd have had to put out the fire in the ratings rec!!!!
    Just visiting

32. Thanks na grohmití, ias, morpheus thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, Orion, DeV, morpheus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Note 70hp Johnson
    Just visiting

34. Thanks na grohmití, DeV, morpheus thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, morpheus liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last Pic, were those the Typhoon suits?
    Again another photo of how far we have come in terms of proper PPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eithne still lands helis????

Cmdr Fitzgerald said that he didn’t believe the controversy aired at the trial in Sicily regarding the LE Niamh’s unwillingness to enter Libyan territorial waters would have any impact on relations with the Italian coast guard and the LE Eithne’s mission in the Mediterranean.
    He said the LE Eithne, with its helicopter-landing facilities, was the ideal type of vessel for the operation and he was convinced the crew would do a very good job on behalf of the Irish State in assisting the Italian authorities in the rescue of migrants.
    Do we still have the full capability to land helis on her deck, have we done so in recent years??

taken from here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...nean-1.3093376
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Last Pic, were those the Typhoon suits?
    Again another photo of how far we have come in terms of proper PPE.
    Heli hensen floating suits, weren't even waterproof at the best of times.
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Eithne still lands helis????

Do we still have the full capability to land helis on her deck, have we done so in recent years??

taken from here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...nean-1.3093376
    Nope...... could take winchmen or stores lowered by helo.. thats it. Probably a misquote
    Just visiting

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reporter probably googled it, saw the photos.

40. Likes hptmurphy liked this post

Thread Information