This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was believed a Seaking could land crossdeck in an emergency
    Not a hope in hell. Having worked with similar types of machine such as the S61N after the NS I realised how big the aircraft was.

The dauphins rotor disc was 1,205ft with a diameter of 39ft and the overall length of the fuselage helo being 45ft

The Seaking rotor disc is 3,020ft with a rotor diameter of 62 feet and an overall length of fuselage being 55ft.

Absolutely no safety margin, was never going to happen but the handling characteristics were never trialed.. but the again some RAF lunatic did put a Chinook on a Castle Class OPV in a hurry once upon a time.

However if the flight deck had been built to extend over the quarter deck we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Sorry HTP, attachments invalid, there's a surprise on the forum!

Comment

• This looks like rather an interesting option: https://www.fassmer.de/en/shipbuildi...sels/opv-2020/

Comment

• I don't think LNG would make a lot of sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
              I don't think LNG would make a lot of sense.
              Not yet, but in the near future perhaps.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• LNG

Originally posted by pym View Post
                I don't think LNG would make a lot of sense.
                Maybe for large ships MAXI's and Cruise Liners. Liquefied gas is at minus 260deg F and has to be control released (Boiling Off) to be combustible. It was originally fed to a Steam boiler system for propulsion but can now be adapted to various combinations, such as gas/diesel. Fueling processes may be restricted to an in port process. How a pressured system , on a warship ,would respond to the kinetic energy released by a shell or missile srike has to be contemplated . I'm afraid the warship market is plagued with innovation and industry led developments.
                Last edited by ancientmariner; 21 May 2017, 20:32.

Comment

• yeah, not too sure about the LNG either, but I do like the overall concept.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	HIFR me.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	698161
                    Last edited by hptmurphy; 22 May 2017, 20:39.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      [ATTACH]8434[/ATTACH]
                      what year was this and is that a rib on the top deck forward of the funnels?

Comment

• Originally posted by restless View Post
                        That was the Original location of the Sea Riders, high up, mounted pointing aft.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by restless View Post
                          1986 , Seariders were mounted on the boat deck as it was originally designed, the mounts were arse about face and the boats had to be turned and lowered before launching. usually on the way out the harbour, Bastard of a job. Cradles for the boats were repositioned in 87 to face the right way round.
                          The original cranes were a disaster and suffered terribly from corrosion. Boats them selves were good piece of kit but were a bit underpowered with a single 70hp engine. We used to thrash them. I blew a head gasket in one and had to paddle the think back.

The photo was taken for Cara Magazine, Aer Lingus, in flight Magazine, few other notable photos including the cover of Aidan McIvors book were taken from the same photo shoot.

Hifr was a craic as you had to ground the Dauphin because of the static build up. Length of chain with a metal pod a a 2 inch square lump of steel you had to stand on to keep contact with the deck while trying to touch the winch line with the hook and rod.....and the safety barriers were down!!!!!

First time out I wasn't wearing safety boots, just leather soled shoes..skated my way across the wet deck when the ship rolled. Flight deck life jackets were always a bit suspect!!!

Comment

• Got a bit crowded on occasion

Comment

• It was never going to fit!!!!!!! and if it did, we'd have had to put out the fire in the ratings rec!!!!

Comment

• Note 70hp Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X