Thanks Thanks:  522
Likes Likes:  1,120
Dislikes Dislikes:  34
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576
Results 1,876 to 1,889 of 1889
  1. #1876
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Did that used to work the Scottish Isles for Calmac? Quite small for a ferry. About the same dimensions as an OPV. Close coastal waters in shallows like that are not a good environment for ships like that in a storm.
    Straits Ferries now Blueridge was then a small privately owned startup low cost alternative to the larger Interislander operation owned by NZ Rail a state owned enterprise. The Cook Strait in a tropical cyclone is not a great environment for any ship to be honest especially around the entrance to Wellington harbour in an easterly and where the Pacific current and the Tasman current meet. That same day as the photo was taken a 15000 tonne Korean vessel ran aground further up the East Coast in Gisborne.

  2. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
  3. #1877
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    moving rapidly away.......
    Posts
    2,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    All very interesting, I do mean that, but could we wander a tiny bit back on track? For instance; is there a case for repairing the dock, beside the former Irish steel site?
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  4. #1878
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
    All very interesting, I do mean that, but could we wander a tiny bit back on track? For instance; is there a case for repairing the dock, beside the former Irish steel site?
    Whats the measurements for that dock? To me I suppose it comes down to costs and what numbers are we talking about, I mean if it's a one off hull that's an issue is it worth the cost, compared to say 3 or more having a "size" issue?

  5. #1879
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Whats the measurements for that dock? To me I suppose it comes down to costs and what numbers are we talking about, I mean if it's a one off hull that's an issue is it worth the cost, compared to say 3 or more having a "size" issue?
    To me it comes down to utilisation and staffing

  6. Likes Sparky42 liked this post
  7. #1880
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drydock in Haulbowline, to get operational would cost in the region of €5-15m. All you have to do then is get all the heavy engineering machinery and the skilled operators to use them to make it useful. Covering the whole thing would help too, but that would be a bit of an eyesore and not popular locally, not to mention the dangerous wind conditions a building of this size would require.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

  8. #1881
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Drydock in Haulbowline, to get operational would cost in the region of €5-15m. All you have to do then is get all the heavy engineering machinery and the skilled operators to use them to make it useful. Covering the whole thing would help too, but that would be a bit of an eyesore and not popular locally, not to mention the dangerous wind conditions a building of this size would require.
    Ok so I guess the question is would there be long term savings in reinstating it and putting together the workforce etc compared to the current situation of using the Cobh dock. As to covering it assuming you just mean the drydock and not the basin, why would it create a huge issue? It would likely still be lower than the Steel buildings that were there. As for dangerous wind conditions, do the covered yards in the UK (thinking in particular the huge sub yard) create such issues? I mean how tall would you be talking about 4-5 stories?

  9. #1882
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Ok so I guess the question is would there be long term savings in reinstating it and putting together the workforce etc compared to the current situation of using the Cobh dock. As to covering it assuming you just mean the drydock and not the basin, why would it create a huge issue? It would likely still be lower than the Steel buildings that were there. As for dangerous wind conditions, do the covered yards in the UK (thinking in particular the huge sub yard) create such issues? I mean how tall would you be talking about 4-5 stories?
    Cover the drydock to allow work to take place in all weathers on the exterior. It would need to be as tall as to fit a ship and her mast, with room for a gantry crane inside too.

    I would suggest the wind problem would be unique to the particular circumstances in Haulbowline. The back of the dock looks straight out to the harbour mouth. Most other covered docks would run in line with, and would be sheltered by terrain. No such luxury in Haulbowline.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

  10. Likes hptmurphy, DeV liked this post
  11. #1883
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Cover the drydock to allow work to take place in all weathers on the exterior. It would need to be as tall as to fit a ship and her mast, with room for a gantry crane inside too.

    I would suggest the wind problem would be unique to the particular circumstances in Haulbowline. The back of the dock looks straight out to the harbour mouth. Most other covered docks would run in line with, and would be sheltered by terrain. No such luxury in Haulbowline.
    The initial requirement and feasibility study should be to achieve an environmentally friendly site for the maintenance and repair of naval vessels. Clearing the dock of obstructions and covering it in with a weatherproof housing which would also contain offices, minor workshops, toilets etc. together with heating and FF systems. The length is around 180 meters. Opening up electronics, radars etc. would require roller doors to the front. Reinstating the drydock itself is a future must have, if we wish to be whole and independent. The working scenario would be DOD do actual docking and positioning and pump out. Drydock work would be carried out by DOD, NS, or contractors as appropriate . The Wind problem should be left to designers of high structures.

  12. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
  13. #1884
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Cover the drydock to allow work to take place in all weathers on the exterior. It would need to be as tall as to fit a ship and her mast, with room for a gantry crane inside too.

    I would suggest the wind problem would be unique to the particular circumstances in Haulbowline. The back of the dock looks straight out to the harbour mouth. Most other covered docks would run in line with, and would be sheltered by terrain. No such luxury in Haulbowline.
    There would be more hassle getting the ex naval service Members to give up their free berths for their boats than to deal with the local wind situation. As far as I can recall from my days there, the reinstatement of the dry dock was part of the naval base master plan.

  14. #1885
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,950
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many weeks in an average year would be used?

    Surely the money would be better spend on wage increases possibly allowing the NS to fully crew its vessels.

  15. Likes Sparky42, Graylion liked this post
  16. #1886
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    How many weeks in an average year would be used?

    Surely the money would be better spend on wage increases possibly allowing the NS to fully crew its vessels.
    You don't need to pump out a drydock for it to be useful, especially when covered. At any time at least one vessel is at berth out of service for some repairs or equipment refit. Covering the drydock, would make it a highly efficient space where all manner of work can be done in all weathers.
    Ever had to change a lightbulb in your car? Isn't it much easier to do wen its dry? Easier still when its indoors, with good light.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

  17. Likes DeV liked this post
  18. #1887
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks / Like
    To come back from the question of covering it, I'd ask again what's the measurements of the dock, how much of an increase over the Cobh dock does it give the Navy?

  19. #1888
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Baltinglass
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    To come back from the question of covering it, I'd ask again what's the measurements of the dock, how much of an increase over the Cobh dock does it give the Navy?
    further up there is mention of 180m length, so pretty significant. Still not relevant IMO, cos reactivating it would be a huge waste of money. Other navies let commercial yards refurbish their warships. And H&W has a drydock that is bigger than anything the NS will ever need on this very island.

  20. #1889
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    further up there is mention of 180m length, so pretty significant. Still not relevant IMO, cos reactivating it would be a huge waste of money. Other navies let commercial yards refurbish their warships. And H&W has a drydock that is bigger than anything the NS will ever need on this very island.
    There are closer, bigger & better equipped drydocks in France and the UK, if we are going to go to a foreign yard.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Naval air ops no more?
    By Goldie fish in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 303
    Last Post: 29th December 2015, 14:01
  2. Naval Wishlist(realistic)
    By Goldie fish in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 10th April 2007, 23:54
  3. Naval Training Ship?
    By Goldie fish in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th February 2003, 01:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •