Thanks Thanks:  774
Likes Likes:  1,634
Dislikes Dislikes:  42
Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 519199100101
Results 2,501 to 2,516 of 2516
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    I don't like the ship because it is too gimmicky. Helicopters landing forward on the Bridge eyeline is a nuisance, and is usually reserved for ships with no where else to land them , like an offshore supply vessel. There is proportionality between a ships length, beam and draft if you wish to have a sea kindly vessel. The vessel could be rejigged but it couldn't be done on 90m which would work out at 90m X 15m X 4m . The 90.9m x 17m X 4.7m is a floating joke and seems to be under powered using OPV 80 power train. The 300kw thruster probably needs upgrading also. If you want to build at 17m beam then you need to go to 102m length and 5m draft, and up the power to give the proposed speeds and ranges.
    Thank you sir for explaining what I was trying to put across in the clearest possible way such that only years of experience in the field could provide.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

2. Likes Graylion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the Fassmer design it is likely that it is aimed at an existing Fassmer OPV80 user rather than for the NS. Of the current users Chile has a LPD (the ex-Foudre) but Columbia is the only major South American Navy with an amphibious assault ship. So my money would be that it is aimed at the Columbian Navy.

Another outsider would be Israel, a) Given the naval ties between Israel and Germany, b) The S65 sitting on the aft flight deck and the S70 forward.

Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    Looking at the Fassmer design it is likely that it is aimed at an existing Fassmer OPV80 user rather than for the NS. Of the current users Chile has a LPD (the ex-Foudre) but Columbia is the only major South American Navy with an amphibious assault ship. So my money would be that it is aimed at the Columbian Navy.

Another outsider would be Israel, a) Given the naval ties between Israel and Germany, b) The S65 sitting on the aft flight deck and the S70 forward.
    Fassemer seem to produce a significant number of ship designs with Helicopters landing in the forward part of the ship and in the case of a casevac/hospital ship the hangar is facing forward under the bridge. Helicopters usually land facing the wind over the Deck. If the landing is in the forward part of the ship then the helo is forced to fly backwards to face hangar and FDO, or face the wind and fly fast enough not to be run down by the ship and lose sight of ship references and FDO. It is operationally too tricky. Hangars must face aft and helo land in the direction of ship travel except in an emergency where the ship MUST run before the wind and the helo MUST be recovered.

5. Thanks na grohmiti thanked for this post
    Likes EUFighter, Graylion liked this post
    Dislikes Flamingo disliked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must admit that I am coming around to the Vard design, but an honest competition should be held. Enforcer 10k might also be an option for instance.

7. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    I must admit that I am coming around to the Vard design, but an honest competition should be held. Enforcer 10k might also be an option for instance.
    The Vard is OK, very much modelled on the New Zealand ship. It might be time for Damen to do a Gen2 of the Enforcer as it should incorporate a flexible mission bay like we see on the Cross-over and on most large frigates. The Enforcer has the big advantage of a well dock which makes it more independent in operations putting stuff ashore. In HADR ops sometimes the port facilities are not available, they can be damaged or block by other vessels, thus the ability to bring supplies ashore from a well dock in an LCM is good.

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course an honest competition will be held. You realise we on Irish Military Online are not making the decision?
    Expect to see it go to tender in the European journals shortly, each submission will be assessed based on strict criteria, all of which will be made clear to those submitting proposals, as well as anyone else with an interest. The selection process itself, like all tenders is strictly confidential.
    DFPO in the past, have released names of submissions received, but very little detail beyond that.
    They are not obliged to, as the process is strutinised throughout by external auditors.

10. Likes DeV, Herald, hptmurphy, Sparky42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmiti View Post
    You realise we on Irish Military Online are not making the decision?
    What?? And with all the effort we have put in

12. Thanks CTU, DeV thanked for this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course an honest competition will be held. You realise we on Irish Military Online are not making the decision?
    Expect to see it go to tender in the European journals shortly, each submission will be assessed based on strict criteria, all of which will be made clear to those submitting proposals, as well as anyone else with an interest. The selection process itself, like all tenders is strictly confidential.
    DFPO in the past, have released names of submissions received, but very little detail beyond that.
    They are not obliged to, as the process is strutinised throughout by external auditors.
    Yes, I do realise all that. I also realise that DFPO are perfectly capable of writing an RFP that precludes all but 1 design ...

14. Likes ropebag, Sparky42, EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the Vard 7313 has IAC AW139s on the flight deck in the pics

https://vardmarine.com/wp-content/up...VARD-7-313.pdf

16. Likes Graylion liked this post
    Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given how long we've been talking about it, I wonder how "shortly" a timeframe we're talking about?

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Well the Vard 7313 has IAC AW139s on the flight deck in the pics

https://vardmarine.com/wp-content/up...VARD-7-313.pdf
    Could we please have a 76mm too?

19. Likes DeV liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Given how long we've been talking about it, I wonder how "shortly" a timeframe we're talking about?
    Not long now ????

Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not long now ????
    Well at least we'll have something more to debate/complain about then...

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    There are a multitude of smaller vessel designs are out there, any of which a successful mini-JSS design could be based on.

A few for instances..

Enforcer 8000 LPD

Enforcer 7000 LPD

Crossover 131 Amphibious

The thing is that for a very marginal reduction in tonnage/construction cost; you start to lose lane-metre capacity very, very, quickly. In pretty short order you are looking at needing two vessels to carry the equipment for an EU ISTAR component.

As one of the sages used to say "Steel is cheap and air is free."
    Just to remind us of this.

23. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like

Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    Whoever writes the RFP must start with purpose of the vessel , areas of operation, range, duration, and nature of loads. , there must be a requirement that Length, Breadth, Depths and Cb ratios meet regulatory conditions and allow for voyaging fully discharged , and suitably ballasted in compensation. Container types must be specified to allow for loading widths and securing. Likewise for vehicles.
    Bow deck openings as depicted in some designs are not favoured in heavy weather, in event of bow immersion. There has to be some means of landing personnel by own means. Consideration for Towage operations should be included as all ships can tow. Armament suite should be built in at yard to facilitate good arcs of fire. Parallel sides from bridge aft, with good stern immersion , and decent stabilisation will provide a good helo deck.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 9th August 2019 at 10:16.

26. Thanks na grohmiti, Graylion, Turkey thanked for this post

Thread Information