Thanks Thanks:  715
Likes Likes:  1,442
Dislikes Dislikes:  39
Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495
Results 2,351 to 2,355 of 2355
  1. #2351
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The point was made but so was mine based on past history. The last couple of decades of the operational life of P31 was to see her Helicopter designation deleted and the remaining Dauphins gracing the Chilean Navy. Shortly after completion of live helicopter trials, when CO was on leave ,a truck arrived from the Don to remove ships starting trolley and certain other tools. Fortunately the CO had popped in and after discussion the truck departed empty handed. Ships need to be run by sailors and all other interfaces and visits are either by invite or for operational tasks. A ship is not a tank or a truck and is also home to it's crew for a year or so.
    Probably the best post you've made on the site, Can't disagree with a single word.

    I would go back to the point made around operations in the EEZ and would suggest that the size of the vessel would lead to greater self sufficiency and should be able to provide a sustained presence off shore for greater periods of time, the only weak link being the crewing arrangements, so you do need a bigger pool of people to operate a larger vessel, you especially need a greater number of specialized roles and this it would seem where we always run into trouble.
    Time for another break I think......

  2. Likes DeV liked this post
  3. #2352
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Probably the best post you've made on the site, Can't disagree with a single word.

    I would go back to the point made around operations in the EEZ and would suggest that the size of the vessel would lead to greater self sufficiency and should be able to provide a sustained presence off shore for greater periods of time, the only weak link being the crewing arrangements, so you do need a bigger pool of people to operate a larger vessel, you especially need a greater number of specialized roles and this it would seem where we always run into trouble.
    Indeed endurance hangs on sustainability and the ability of crew to keep things running, especially in bad weather. With the higher levels of education, and knowledge of technical media being endemic in the young age groups, it is possible to train operators of specific equipment to maintain them and at least change parts that are broken. It is necessary to have higher quotas for electrical/electronic/engineering/armourer type ratings/officers. Ideally a singleton RRM on board should have a juniour understudy to provide maximum cover. An MRV with 3 deployable craft will need to be able to crew all three at the same time, with reliefs- possibly nine crew away with a relief contingent at the 4 hour mark. I would pitch her crew around the 70 + mark.

  4. #2353
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is necessary to have higher quotas for electrical/electronic/engineering/armourer type ratings/officers.
    I think we need to move away from our traditional style of deploying people around divisions and look at something along the UK RN style were branches are more holistic in their approach, where WEMS are function around of weapons systems and their supports and where boarding parties and boats crew are not drawn from a single division
    Time for another break I think......

  5. #2354
    The Auld Fella A/TEL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I think we need to move away from our traditional style of deploying people around divisions and look at something along the UK RN style were branches are more holistic in their approach, where WEMS are function around of weapons systems and their supports and where boarding parties and boats crew are not drawn from a single division

    Boarding parties are drawn from all divisions onboard.

    Every NCO is trained in both Fishery and Naval Boarding.

    Eithne with her slightly larger crew has a bigger selection of Boarding Officers/NCOs.

    As it stands, all ships company are multi-role, beside their own job/division onboard they are trained in DCFF, boat launching, line handling, and all core ship or seamanship skills.

    There is scope in the engineering dept alright for what you suggest above.

  6. Thanks Turkey, hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  7. #2355
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    Boarding parties are drawn from all divisions onboard.

    Every NCO is trained in both Fishery and Naval Boarding.

    Eithne with her slightly larger crew has a bigger selection of Boarding Officers/NCOs.

    As it stands, all ships company are multi-role, beside their own job/division onboard they are trained in DCFF, boat launching, line handling, and all core ship or seamanship skills.

    There is scope in the engineering dept alright for what you suggest above.
    I agree , and the same with CRAA weapons. Key is to have the crew big enough to meet a 48 hour stand to, in emergency ,with all capabilities front loaded.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Naval air ops no more?
    By Goldie fish in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 303
    Last Post: 29th December 2015, 13:01
  2. Naval Wishlist(realistic)
    By Goldie fish in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 10th April 2007, 22:54
  3. Naval Training Ship?
    By Goldie fish in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th February 2003, 00:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •