X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
    P
    Therefore it would not be a huge modification to fit a harpoon and flotation bags (so sources say).
    I think the 139s already have flotation bags fitted, they were in the photos of them arriving in Ireland.
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
      I think the 139s already have flotation bags fitted, they were in the photos of them arriving in Ireland.
      Thought they might have just been a fit for their transit to home soil, but even so, it shows how little has to be done to them, so they can operate off a deck. Nice one mutter nutter.

How long they operate for with ships is another question, but maybe when the aircraft were being spec'd it was thought about!
      Whether they will operate is probably another day's work, but at least it would appear that the DF is going the right direction about inter-service operability!
      Last edited by Dogwatch; 9 January 2007, 22:12.

Comment

• While the total number of 21 shipyards were released, their names weren't. But through the haze we have discovered that Tenix, ADI, Hyundai, Austal, Vosper Singapore, Bath Iron Works, Ingalls, Damen Schelde, Italian, Spanish, French, and German shipyards tendered.

It will be interesting how many tenders Ireland receives. New Zealand eventually brought the number down to two finalists, Tenix with its Merwede designed ferry, and ADI with its Damen Schelde 8000 ton Enforcer design. ADI and Hyundai for different reasons sued, and lost in New Zealand courts.

Merwede did such a good job on the MRV, Tenix also gave them the second OPV hull build too. All of the second OPVs hull modules transported to Melbourne via the MRV's flight deck.
        Last edited by Sea Toby; 9 January 2007, 22:38.

Comment

• interesting...could any of you lads who know more of this subject then me, see an enforcer class ship at 8000T chasing Spanish fishing trawlers around the West coast?...it just seems a little oversized to be doing that kind of work to me....I'd love it if we got one, but, I can't see it.
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

• Why not?
            The larger the vessel, the rougher the weather she can stay out in. Some spanish trawlers are the same size as the current naval vessels.

Consider that there are Aircraft carriers and Destroyers in the Gulf boarding wood dhows every day of the week.

The job has to be done.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Why not?
              The larger the vessel, the rougher the weather she can stay out in. Some spanish trawlers are the same size as the current naval vessels.

Consider that there are Aircraft carriers and Destroyers in the Gulf boarding wood dhows every day of the week.

The job has to be done.
              we can only hope the people making the decisions have the same attitude GF...fingers and toes crossed

Comment

• I suppose you don't need to be a meteorologist to see the weather has been crap for the past two months -
                Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Farel' View Post
                  I suppose you don't need to be a meteorologist to see the weather has been crap for the past two months -
                  Sky's always Azure blue in my World...but thats just me:wink:

Comment

• As posted earlier, according to Jane's, Thyssen is now offering 2 new patrol ships, the Guardian, 80m, 1700+ tonnes, Cost Guard type vessel, at approx. €30 million and the Sentinel, 85m, 2000 tonnes, more naval patrol vessel, but no price quoted in Jane's.

Two of either of these, preferably the Sentinel, along with a Meko 200 MRV, looks quite good on paper though the Enforcer 8000 looks good.

IAS
                    Last edited by ias; 9 January 2007, 22:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Farel' View Post
                      I suppose you don't need to be a meteorologist to see the weather has been crap for the past two months -

I was just thinking there how often the ferries have been cancelled in the last month, and thats just on the Irish sea....
                      I wonder if the ship the Kiwi MRV is based on kept going?

Met Éireann, the Irish National Meteorological Service, is the leading provider of weather information and related services for Ireland.

Wettest December since 1999

Wind and elements: Mean windspeeds for the month were between 9 and 13 knots generally (17 and 24km/hour)
                      and up to 18 knots (33km/hour) in the north and northwest. These were the highest mean winds for December since
                      1999. The highest gust of the month, 79 knots (146 km/hour), was measured at Malin Head on the 31st, its highest
                      December gust since 1998

Comment

• Does anyone have a clue about what they are looking for in this new ship, is it supposed to carry the minimum of stuff in which case it's probably the Meko, or is it supposed to carry everything and the kitchen sink, and the soldiers too?

Comment

• The picture above is a picture of a HDW MRV design offered to Portugal. Here is a link to the Damen Schelde Enforcer series, from 8000 tons upward.

The army should get what it wants for sea lift, and should set the size of an MRV, not the navy in my opinion. Deciding factors should be the lane meters for equipment, and accommodations for the number of troop lift. Whether the army wishes to bring a few of the air corps AB139 helicopters along should also be considered with a sizeable hangar for maintenance.

Does Ireland wish to move a battalion, a infantry group, or half a infantry group? Without any large transport aircraft such as a Hercules, this is the time for Ireland to choose well its MRV ship. The navy will only operate one vessel for joint operations. The navy has its hands full patrolling Ireland's EEZ as is.

The Ben My Chree, Commodore Clipper, Hammodde, and Duodde have never failed to sail, very dependable and very seaworthy. As noted the Canterbury sailed through sea state 8 seas on its journey to Melbourne from Rotterdam.
                          Last edited by Sea Toby; 9 January 2007, 23:19.

Comment

• hmm, on that link Sea Toby put up, they have one of the enforcers designed missions being "law enforcement", maybe a good sign, plus it's ablity to carry 240 troops sound just about right to me.....I guess it will come down to price in the end, could we get one on the outlined budget.

Comment

• I wouldn't say your priority is moving troops. That is best done by air.
                              However it is the use of TEUs in most overseas missions for everything from weapon stores to Field hospitals, to water purification units that is the real key.
                              We have the trucks to get them wherever they need to go inland. DROPS provides us with a very efficient way of movint them inland. However getting the box to the deployment is where you need your MRV. This is why Deckspace is the priority. Secondary to that is Vehicles. Parallel to this is the ability to run a C3 function from the ship. This can also come in the form of a TEU.

(T.E.U=Twenty foot equivalent unit, or container box to the rest of us)

Remember in the past we discussed that one of the roles this ship would be expected to undertake is Disaster relief, such as if a Tsunami like disaster were to strike the eastern atlantic coastlines, which is quite possible. Spain have a Rotterdam type ship designed from the outset for just such a task, with military lift as a secondary role.

Comment

• New Zealand purchased their Merwede designed and built MRV ferry for US $100 million, three years ago. At that time in Euros 90 million, but the Euro has gained on the US dollar in the past three years. The second finalist was just a bit more, the 8000 tons Enforcer, so I would suspect both could be acquired within a budget of Euros 90 million or so today.

Earlier in this thread there was speculation that the MEKO would cost less, being a slightly smaller vessel. The Guardian and Sentinel for less. Yes, I believe all could be acquired within the annouced budget.

Comment

Working...
                                X