Thanks Thanks:  415
Likes Likes:  916
Dislikes Dislikes:  23
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    cueball
    One small question where the feck are you going to park these things? In Cobh?

We can hardly crew what we have.

The Emer(RUST BUCKET) is falling apart on a daily basis they haven't had stabalizers fully operational in 6 months and yet still go to sea in a dangerous condition, having a generator leave its mounting in rough weather to the SE in the middle of the night is a eyeopening experance let me tell you.

We need to get rid of this ship posthaste maybe replace it with a vessel of the types above.

On a lighter side the ERA's dont mind the Emer any more, so much stuff brecks every day that they just blame it on her age.

2. Likes DeV liked this post
    shock junky
    Post Thanks / Like
    its all well and good saying we need new vessels, i am for that , but at the moment we dont have the crews to man them
    "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

the piper

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20
    So it has maybe 2 re-supply trips in the year. What does it do for the rest of the year?
    well it could fuel the peacock class at sea instead of them going along side every few days

also it could be used in conjuction with new naval college for training purposes

and of course dont forget the bubble heads ha ha ha it could be used for their deep dives off the coast like a diving tender
    Last edited by the piper; 5th April 2005 at 19:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Emer is coming up for replacment any day now,and from what I have been hearing,a combination of PV/supply ship is being considered. The east wall of the basin has been dredged in anticipation of the future vessel,which is expected to be larger than any of the current fleet,some rumours saying up to twice the size of the more recent types( about 3500tonnes).

I am hoping the newer people here may be able to throw some more light on this subject.

L.E.Niamh being used as a car ferry.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goldie, I've heard similar rumours for a while now, including from some well informed sources.

All kinds of other 'noise' in there as well like it being 'blue-green', or being like the Andrea Doria, and paid for out of other Depts funding aswell, the reserve having a greater role in its crewing, and so on.

Rumours, where would we be without them!

When is the Emer actiually due for retirement?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Goldie that is the single best shot of an NS vessel I've ever seen.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice shot indeed. Nothing to do with me unfortunately. In the UNIFIL days it was not unknown for one of the P20 types to head on a resupply trip with one or two panhards lashed to the Aft deck. Eithnes helideck recently recieved tie down points for this purpose,for the cancelled Liberia run.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like

Then whatever is planned is either already decided, or will be in time for the next budget cycle. Cool.

Why move Panhards from here to the leb? Reliability issues or lifecycle problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember..its panhards you are talking about here. Of the M3 variety.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goldie that is one great looking photo where and when was it taken ? . Would be better without the vhicles on deck but becides that great photo . Pity the Offical Defence Forces site don,t post photos like that and some other photos I have see here ,way to go .

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tashkugan
    An OSV would probably be the best option. I though the canadian idea was good from an inshore perspective as they have a huge coastline to patrol and supply etc. I mean we could always charter the Irish Lights Vessel Granuaile (20 ton crane & helipad) .

either way (charter c-130/charter ship) resupplying the liberian mission is going to be a very interesting exercise. hope they ship out a good workshop and spare gearboxes for those mowags.
    I dought that Irish Lights Commissioners are intrested in having their vessel charted out

Post Thanks / Like
    Grainuaile seems to be kept pretty busy as it is. I got that photo from www.shipspotting.com though the person who posted it had other photos not taken by them(http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=986). I believe it is taken when she was on the way to Liberia, but from where or by whom I don't know.

The site says
    Irish warship L.E. NIAMH steaming towards Liberia in Oct 2003, with a cargo of jeeps visible on the after deck. This was in support of a Recce Mission that the ship inserted into the country prior to the deployment of an Irish Peacekeeping Battalion there in December 2003
    http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/....php?lid=49341

Aha: Death=Preconception Lordinajamjar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the top speed of the Grainuaile? Correct me if I'm wrong but might she not be considered a bit on the slow side and not really suited for long trips outside Irish waters. Afterall was she not built with a specific task in mind which involves mainly coastal duties.

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lordinajamjar
    What's the top speed of the Grainuaile? Correct me if I'm wrong but might she not be considered a bit on the slow side and not really suited for long trips outside Irish waters. Afterall was she not built with a specific task in mind which involves mainly coastal duties.

Her speed is 13.1 knots - not fast at all, hey the navy should take her anyway
    there is no money in the kitty for new ships, they might even get more miles of emer before she retires, is there any heads who served on emer out there???

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Served on Banba, Grainne ,Emer , and Eithne

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent three weeks on her as a replacement...I was never so sick in all my life.It was probably something to do with hurricane charlie.
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Emers engines are in a jock. They can bairly leave teh base as it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does Eithne use 76 crew every time she puts to sea or is that figure inclusive of the heli crews ?
    Would a crew of 100 be manageable if the Permanent NS crew stayed at this figure and Eithne was replaced with something like standard flex support (minus most of the expensive weapons fit realistically), with the shortfall made up of reservists or other arms personnel?
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners
    Served on Banba, Grainne ,Emer , and Eithne
    Oops I forgot about Setanta, but that was just for a week when I was a Sluggie

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners
    Oops I forgot about Setanta, but that was just for a week when I was a Sluggie
    laners when are you writing the book

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy
    laners when are you writing the book

Eithne normally carries a crew of 72 heads, when we went to the USA in 86 we had a crew of 94 I am quoting from jockey's log book from that trip

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy
    Eithne normally carries a crew of 72 heads, when we went to the USA in 86 we had a crew of 94 I am quoting from jockey's log book from that trip
    all of the above were naval service staff, to the best of my knowledge there was no air corps staff with us

Post Thanks / Like
    the Eithnes Cew has been downsized to about sixty.AC were never part of the establishment and were only on attachment.

its amazing how many passengers are picked up for Foreign trips...especially amongst the senior rates and officers.
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Emers engines ...pielsticks are the same as Aislings and Aoifes so spares shouldn't be a problem. Deirdre had a different fit...Polar Marine deisels and Eithnes are Rustons.
    Just visiting

Thread Information