This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah but thing it was just contracted out

British Navy currently has 2 (may be more) civilian Ro-Ro Container ships for moving stores/vehicles/etc between theatre

but remember the Altantic Conveyor in the Falklands

Comment

Irish sea ferries are not designed for long trips,most are only classified for Near Continental waters....As far as I know the vessels used to carry vehicles out to Eritrea were Car carriers,though I am not sure if the same type went to Liberia.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Re: Transport vessels....

Originally posted by Harry
        Would the NS have a need for vessel such as the Jonathan Swift for moving UN Troops and gear to missions rather than relying on foreign Naval assets.
        I doubt the Swift has the range or space suitable for invading anything, but the Isle of Man. I think the number of high vehicles it can carry is also quite limited. At 50kt, shes fast, but I suspect is also expensive to run. You would need suitable dock space to unload, not just a quayside.

I suspect the larger ferries would be of more use, but again range and consumables might be an issue. I think it's the Isle of Inishmore that has a large open rear deck, that if suitable braced could operate a number of helicopters (it currently can only handle only one helicopter atop the cabin space).

I think the arrangment the RN / RFA has is it has a number of transports it either owns or has on long lease and when they are not needed they are let out on short leases, cutting the cost of ownership, while having a lot of deck space on shortish notice.

Potentially what we would like is something that could lift at least half of the RRF battalion equipment in one lift, but at the same time have some other use that would make it cheap enough to keep.

Separately there is the issue of having ammunition on commerical ships.
        Last edited by Victor; 20 February 2004, 16:24.
        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

And how do you think it gets here?

Comment

Dirigible? :D

My point is Irish Ferries are unlikely to carry any substantial amount of ammo and any ship that does will need the safety equipment and insurance to do so.

From time to time Naval Service vessels have been used transport ammunition as they can flood their magazines if there is a fire.
            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Irish ferries ships often carry far more dangerous cargo on TEU laden trucks. The trucks carry HAZ plates and the associated paraphenalia...
              I have often stated that the NS require a ship specifically for this purpose though.

Comment

No I meant the NS buying or long term leasing one of the vessels and giving them a funky new grey paint job, not keeping them in Irish Ferries' hands. Although looking at the Swift today on the news I doubt it would be of much use to the DF, looks like the only thing it could transport is a few Fiat Seicentos (don't take me literally on that)

Comment

Goldie, Iwas just looking through the DF strategy statement and something caught my eye, It mentioned increasing sealift capability I didn't know we had any to increase do you have any information on what their thinking about in term's of improved capability:confused:
                  Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

The UK MOD recently took delivery of a number of RO-RO ships,or sort of, For Strategic Sealift.
                    Originally the Royal Fleet Auxiliary operated the Ro Ro Vessel Sea Crusader,but this was returned to her Parent Company after 7 Yeasr service.
                    The Current Arrangement allows A.W.S.R. Shipping Ltd (AWSR) to supply the Ministry of Defence (MoD) with a multi-million world-wide strategic transport service through a new Private Finance Initiative (PFI). The sealift service contract will be worth approximately £950 million, depending upon the amount of operational and private usage of the ships, and will run until December 2024,providing ships and crews,which can be used for commercial trading when not required by the MOD.
                    The company was established with the express purpose of bidding for the £950 million contract to construct and own six 20,000-tonne ro-ro vessels for service with the UK's Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Hurst Point

Comment

Recent naval moves in Europe are towards medium sized carriers and ships to move airpower and marines around for power projection.The only reason the Irish need a ship capable of delivering a unit overseas is for UN or EU missions and you wouldn't be conducting those missions alone.Someone else can take you along.No point in buying a big ship you'll rarely use when someone else will have one ready.A couple of tactical transports are faster and more adaptable.I'd be surprised if the Irish military ever deployed more than 700 troops overseas at once.Buy a couple of warships with big guns and lots of missles instead.They are more useful for patrol(which is the capability you want anyway) and you can blown stuff up with them.Thats the non-technical view on the situation.
                      Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

One small question where the feck are you going to park these things? In Cobh?

We can hardly crew what we have.

The Emer(RUST BUCKET) is falling apart on a daily basis they haven't had stabalizers fully operational in 6 months and yet still go to sea in a dangerous condition, having a generator leave its mounting in rough weather to the SE in the middle of the night is a eyeopening experance let me tell you.

We need to get rid of this ship posthaste maybe replace it with a vessel of the types above.

On a lighter side the ERA's dont mind the Emer any more, so much stuff brecks every day that they just blame it on her age.

Comment

its all well and good saying we need new vessels, i am for that , but at the moment we dont have the crews to man them
                          "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20
                            So it has maybe 2 re-supply trips in the year. What does it do for the rest of the year?
                            well it could fuel the peacock class at sea instead of them going along side every few days

also it could be used in conjuction with new naval college for training purposes

and of course dont forget the bubble heads ha ha ha it could be used for their deep dives off the coast like a diving tender
                            Last edited by Guest; 5 April 2005, 20:00.

Comment

Emer is coming up for replacment any day now,and from what I have been hearing,a combination of PV/supply ship is being considered. The east wall of the basin has been dredged in anticipation of the future vessel,which is expected to be larger than any of the current fleet,some rumours saying up to twice the size of the more recent types( about 3500tonnes).

I am hoping the newer people here may be able to throw some more light on this subject.

L.E.Niamh being used as a car ferry.

Comment

Goldie, I've heard similar rumours for a while now, including from some well informed sources.

All kinds of other 'noise' in there as well like it being 'blue-green', or being like the Andrea Doria, and paid for out of other Depts funding aswell, the reserve having a greater role in its crewing, and so on.

Rumours, where would we be without them!

When is the Emer actiually due for retirement?

Comment

Working...
                                X