This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
    Think you may be wrong on that. One Etendard launched exocet hit HMS Sheffield (lost to fire), one Etendard launched one hit Atlantic Conveyor (lost to fire), one shore launched exocet hit HMS Glamorgan (survived). Am open to correction.
    Some discussion on that here:

And here:

However its disputed here:

Comment

• exocets

The Argies had 6 exocets,3 scored hits 2missed and one surface launch variant was captured after hostilities ended. Incidentally HMS Coventry engaged an incoming A4 with her 4.5 missed and took a direct hit from a dumb bomb released by the A4 which was able to rtb,the Cov sank.

Danno

Comment

• The last launch of an exocet in the war, shot down by the 4.5" of HMS Avenger

Comment

• Originally posted by spud68 View Post
          I really dont want to get into this one but just to answer your request about naval aviation
          served on the eithne and worked with the RFA and RN for a while on a number of projects even ended up in the falklands at mare harbour, ,Hung around portland harbour for a bit and had a fun time with the coastguard's chopper there
          Will have to agree with GF...... hanging around an area doesn't make one an authority on rotary wing operations, nor does serving on a helo capable ship, especially if it wasn't operating the helo at that time, which i think I'm correct on. We're u FD crew? FDO? HCO? C/Mech? CO?
          I think the point GF is making is that the OSV is a very capable vessel, but doesn't meet the spec already published for the EPV, which isn't going to change. An OSV type vessel would probably be more suited to taking up the role of an ETV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
            Will have to agree with GF...... hanging around an area doesn't make one an authority on rotary wing operations, nor does serving on a helo capable ship, especially if it wasn't operating the helo at that time, which i think I'm correct on. We're u FD crew? FDO? HCO? C/Mech? CO?
            I think the point GF is making is that the OSV is a very capable vessel, but doesn't meet the spec already published for the EPV, which isn't going to change. An OSV type vessel would probably be more suited to taking up the role of an ETV.
            hlo ,officer commanding and on ocassion useing the spanner to change the fuel connection from gravity feed to pressure flow ( change from over wing to underwing flow nozzle and operating the GPU to make the thing start) also on occasion made the pilots a cup of coffee whilst we had a chat about when thery would get the fu33k off my deck

Comment

hlo ,officer commanding and on ocassion useing the spanner to change the fuel connection from gravity feed to pressure flow ( change from over wing to underwing flow nozzle and operating the GPU to make the thing start) also on occasion made the pilots a cup of coffee whilst we had a chat about when thery would get the fu33k off my deck
              also forgot to add eithne did land and launch helicopters whilst i was onboard but not very many

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                So again you chose to ignore completely the specifications the Naval Service have put forward as a requirement?
                Did you serve on Eithne when she operated Helis?
                I hung around Rotterdam and Antwerp for some time too but I fail to see what relevence that has to the proposed EPV.
                You wanted to squeeze a OSV into the EPV requirement, I pointed out, where that plausibility would be incorrect. Throwing breaks in absence of real data is hardly the basis of a reasonable argument.
                GF no breaks as you asked if i had any naval aviation and I answered the question and yes the eithne did land a chopper on deck whilst i was there but to be honest most of my dealing with choppers was after this .
                When I said i was sorry if anything i said offended you I meant it .
                If you have a point to make fair game , if you want to question some one on what they say fair game , but when you get an answer dont say they are thowing breaks as I cant do anything about what I have done for a living .I have carried out my profession and to be accused of throwing breaks when answering a question to be honest i expected more from GF.
                All that I have stated is is not real data I admit just hard won experience and my judgement after 20 years at sea and the last 09 year's running helicopters daily .
                Iam at the end only a simple sailor and commend my views to the board to either say maybe some sence in them of your talking sh%%it ,either way lets not get personal.

Comment

GF no breaks as you asked if i had any naval aviation and I answered the question and yes the eithne did land a chopper on deck whilst i was there but to be honest most of my dealing with choppers was after this .
                  When I said i was sorry if anything i said offended you I meant it .
                  If you have a point to make fair game , if you want to question some one on what they say fair game , but when you get an answer dont say they are thowing breaks as I cant do anything about what I have done for a living .I have carried out my profession and to be accused of throwing breaks when answering a question to be honest i expected more from GF.
                  All that I have stated is is not real data I admit just hard won experience and my judgement after 20 years at sea and the last 09 year's running helicopters daily .
                  Iam at the end only a simple sailor and commend my views to the board to either say maybe some sence in them of your talking sh%%it ,either way lets not get personal.
                  sorry chaps bit pissed to many tiger beers , nice to keep in touch back home, any one konw which sight will fit an aug3 airsoft rifle as myson is looking for one

Comment

• Got get back on topic.

We always used to joke that the only way we'd get equipment is to write "Orphan Rescue" on the side. Will the mad ramblings of Enda Kenny make it come true?
                    Meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by yooklid View Post
                      Got get back on topic.

We always used to joke that the only way we'd get equipment is to write "Orphan Rescue" on the side. Will the mad ramblings of Enda Kenny make it come true?
                      It will do nothing to arm the EPV acquisition anyhoo!!!

Comment

• Ive been reading through this thread from the start and its funny to see that "emer is on her last legs" was said in August '05 and yet here she is today (still on her last legs truth be told) and fair enough i saw her in verolme in august 09 when she had that 4cm hole in her, and yes she was stuck in bantry bay for a week in december last when her stabilisers failed (again). Plenty of liberty ashore for the crew though!
                        Anyway she is still going nearly 5 years later!!! and to be honest shes going to have to keep at it another while yet, even(on the slim chance) if replacement vessels were ordered now, she would have to be in service for another 2 years at least
                        Thats not the right amount of water on the deck.....

Comment

• I can see her taking on patrols more like what the CPVs are used to.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• The nominal life as offered by the department was 30 years and as such this was the point at which ships were to be retired. Unfortunately the money had gone before the new ships had been ordered.

At maximum patrol time Emer would not be a viable entity all year round and so will need to have patrol schedules review periodically.

The stabilisers packed and she anchored for a week...lol..I spent a week on here and the stabilisers had packed in and we just kept going..how times change.

She was the lead into the other Two PVs and always had her indiosyncrasies , time is catching up on her, she has worked well and if it was an option to remove her from west coast patrols, keep here on the ast coats and use her for coastal work , could get another 10 years from her..unfortunately.

The option being bite the bullet tie here up and not send her to sea, the problem being the brinkmanship invoved, With the non replacement of people and no recruiting a ships crew could vanish over night and the savings buy losing those people and ship would more than delight the finance people.

Keep her going until a replacement is sailing up the harbour.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• New OPV

I note that 30 years seems to be the accepted lifespan for the opvs. By comparison the RN expect to get between 34 to 36 years of service from the remaining type 23[Duke] class. Has anyone heard if the RN have a definite replacement design signed off for the frigates?

Comment

• They're calling it the Type 26 now, used to be known as the Future Surface Combatant.

Comment

Working...
                                X