Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goldie that is the single best shot of an NS vessel I've ever seen.
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Nice shot indeed. Nothing to do with me unfortunately. In the UNIFIL days it was not unknown for one of the P20 types to head on a resupply trip with one or two panhards lashed to the Aft deck. Eithnes helideck recently recieved tie down points for this purpose,for the cancelled Liberia run.

Comment

Then whatever is planned is either already decided, or will be in time for the next budget cycle. Cool.

Why move Panhards from here to the leb? Reliability issues or lifecycle problems?

Comment

Remember..its panhards you are talking about here. Of the M3 variety.

Comment

Goldie that is one great looking photo where and when was it taken ? . Would be better without the vhicles on deck but becides that great photo . Pity the Offical Defence Forces site don,t post photos like that and some other photos I have see here ,way to go .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by tashkugan
                An OSV would probably be the best option. I though the canadian idea was good from an inshore perspective as they have a huge coastline to patrol and supply etc. I mean we could always charter the Irish Lights Vessel Granuaile (20 ton crane & helipad) .

either way (charter c-130/charter ship) resupplying the liberian mission is going to be a very interesting exercise. hope they ship out a good workshop and spare gearboxes for those mowags.
                I dought that Irish Lights Commissioners are intrested in having their vessel charted out

Comment

Grainuaile seems to be kept pretty busy as it is. I got that photo from www.shipspotting.com though the person who posted it had other photos not taken by them(http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=986). I believe it is taken when she was on the way to Liberia, but from where or by whom I don't know.

The site says
                  Irish warship L.E. NIAMH steaming towards Liberia in Oct 2003, with a cargo of jeeps visible on the after deck. This was in support of a Recce Mission that the ship inserted into the country prior to the deployment of an Irish Peacekeeping Battalion there in December 2003

Comment

What's the top speed of the Grainuaile? Correct me if I'm wrong but might she not be considered a bit on the slow side and not really suited for long trips outside Irish waters. Afterall was she not built with a specific task in mind which involves mainly coastal duties.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Originally posted by lordinajamjar
                      What's the top speed of the Grainuaile? Correct me if I'm wrong but might she not be considered a bit on the slow side and not really suited for long trips outside Irish waters. Afterall was she not built with a specific task in mind which involves mainly coastal duties.

Her speed is 13.1 knots - not fast at all, hey the navy should take her anyway
                      there is no money in the kitty for new ships, they might even get more miles of emer before she retires, is there any heads who served on emer out there???

Comment

Served on Banba, Grainne ,Emer , and Eithne

Comment

I spent three weeks on her as a replacement...I was never so sick in all my life.It was probably something to do with hurricane charlie.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Emers engines are in a jock. They can bairly leave teh base as it is.

Comment

Does Eithne use 76 crew every time she puts to sea or is that figure inclusive of the heli crews ?
                              Would a crew of 100 be manageable if the Permanent NS crew stayed at this figure and Eithne was replaced with something like standard flex support (minus most of the expensive weapons fit realistically), with the shortfall made up of reservists or other arms personnel?
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Laners
                                Served on Banba, Grainne ,Emer , and Eithne
                                Oops I forgot about Setanta, but that was just for a week when I was a Sluggie

Comment

Working...
                                X