This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    And before anyone even thinks about it the basin in Haulbowline cannot be made any deeper as it is concrete based!!!!!
    As a matter of interest Murph, How old id that Basin work? Is it from the RN days?

Comment

• It was extended in 1912 so yes it was RN days. There is a book by Daire Brunicardi "Haulbowline" which will give you all the info you need. Published in 2012 by The History Press Ireland, 50 City Quay Dublin 2.

Comment

• The basin is paved with granite I think, same stone as the basin walls, and was designed by the RN like this. The graving dock is the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
          As a matter of interest Murph, How old id that Basin work? Is it from the RN days?
          Dates back to the RN days. Haulbowline/ Queenstown was the HQ of the southern Irish squadron and a victualling and fuelling station for the RN back in the day.

Probably one of the more modern facilities in the RN repetoire until handed over to the Free State where it became derelict until WW2
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            Dates back to the RN days. Haulbowline/ Queenstown was the HQ of the southern Irish squadron and a victualling and fuelling station for the RN back in the day.

Probably one of the more modern facilities in the RN repetoire until handed over to the Free State where it became derelict until WW2
            Thanks Murph, yeah I'm aware of the history of the base, it was the concreting works I was interested in specifically, I was wondering was it original or work done since by the NS.

Comment

• My understanding is that the floor of the Basin is tiled. It has in it's life been grab dredged. I think the tiling is only bedded in place except at the entrance to the old dry dock which needed to seat and house the floating dock gates. Hopefully the west wall will be developed for berthing , fueling and watering on site. There are low level plans in train to cover in the dry dock to allow maintenance of ships in a weather free environment. Perhaps gates can be found, and pumps. to re-establish the dock!!

Comment

• With EU funding in former years it became difficult to build ships with a high naval capability. Naval hardware and software inputs had to be funded from Defence budgets. As a consequence our ships had a low self defence capability. In latter years the 20mm guns were augmented by the addition of 12.5mm HMG's and 7.96mm GPMG's. However, in the current piracy and global terrorist threats our newest ships are in need of a better self defence suite by the addition of a 30mm weapon system coupled to a dedicated Fire Control. The GPMG's could be replaced with two mini guns as additional fire power. The p60 series ships would then have 1x 76mm, 1x30mm Bushmaster, 2x20mm, 2x12.5mm, and 2xmini guns. A formidable ship for piracy patrol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                  Thanks Murph, yeah I'm aware of the history of the base, it was the concreting works I was interested in specifically, I was wondering was it original or work done since by the NS.
                  Nope fitted as standard by the RN.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• regular fisheries/drug interdiction roles same to that of a regular patrol ship

Comment

• Spotted this recently. Not sure if it's come up already.

115 S is the smaller version of the 123 SF, and features a lower speed and moderate cargo- and additional personnel capabilities. Commercial rules are applied.

Looks the part, pretty modular too, depending what you want to do with it.

115m-139m
                      4500-5600T

Of course Damen still have the OPV 2600.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Interesting vessel, can anyone explain what are the differences between "commercial rules" build and "naval rules" build (apart from the price).

Comment

• Originally posted by ias View Post
                          Interesting vessel, can anyone explain what are the differences between "commercial rules" build and "naval rules" build (apart from the price).
                          from what i can work out - and i can barely use a spanner - is that it has two main componants: firstly designing/building the ship so it can operate (as in the whole spectrum of 'operate') to its full capability in worse sea states than merchant vessels, and secondly that it can continue to operate/survive after suffering damage that would be far greater than a ship built to merhant ship rules could accept without burning out/sinking.

theres probably a lot more to it.

Comment

• My understanding is the same as ropebag's. Flood one engine room, commercial rules say ship won't sink. Naval rules say ship will continue to carry out all its functions with no loss of capability. The Meko type, for example has all its electronic systems duplicated and located deep in the centre of the ship. However this duplication of systems reduces crew accommodation space.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Great find, very clever designs. Hope they make their way into the Naval Service post the White Paper. Personally would love these P61s on steroids!LOL
                              Sarsfield

Comment

• I wonder what the chances of a forth P60, followed by two P70's (EPV) would be.

@Sarsfield, when your attaching the image, untick the box beside "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"
                                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X