This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laners
    Oops I forgot about Setanta, but that was just for a week when I was a Sluggie
    laners when are you writing the book

Comment

Originally posted by moggy

Eithne normally carries a crew of 72 heads, when we went to the USA in 86 we had a crew of 94 I am quoting from jockey's log book from that trip

Comment

Eithne normally carries a crew of 72 heads, when we went to the USA in 86 we had a crew of 94 I am quoting from jockey's log book from that trip
        all of the above were naval service staff, to the best of my knowledge there was no air corps staff with us

Comment

the Eithnes Cew has been downsized to about sixty.AC were never part of the establishment and were only on attachment.

its amazing how many passengers are picked up for Foreign trips...especially amongst the senior rates and officers.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Emers engines ...pielsticks are the same as Aislings and Aoifes so spares shouldn't be a problem. Deirdre had a different fit...Polar Marine deisels and Eithnes are Rustons.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

We had a C P O / Writer on board from N H Q in Dublin for the U S trip , his job on board was to be a personal steward/ breakfast cook for the Flag Officer. Or in other words a passanger
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                Emers engines ...pielsticks are the same as Aislings and Aoifes so spares shouldn't be a problem. Deirdre had a different fit...Polar Marine deisels and Eithnes are Rustons.
                Spares aren't a problem but replacing the entire engines is a problem.

Comment

enought said??

Comment

Would love to write a book , but it would be nothing like the one by Tom MacGinty . Lots of good personal stories with some sort of timeline in relation to various ships and establishments and lots of good SCA i,e scandal and what realy happened at such and such a time. Of course I still have one good friend of mine still in the service and his name would pop up at numerious times in a book so I would have to be very diplomatic or else get some sort of imuniety from pressecution , or we could pool all the stories and have Roddy Doyle put it together . It could be a series of books , just think of the titles of the books , The Base , The Pubs of Cobh , The Trip To the Med , etc etc It would be a cross between Roddy Doyle,s Barrytown Trilogy and Patrick O,Brien,s Master and Commander and all his his other books in that series .

Comment

Comissioners for Irish light have a pretty good web site with links to articles in their magazine , Beam , some great stories for anyone into nautical stuff, one article in particular about a 27 day trip to Rockall by Grannualie is ? well read the article .

Comment

This ship is what I am considering would fit the bill. German Elbe class tender..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Intresting colour scheme, looks like an Irish flag

Comment

Originally posted by Laners
                            Intresting colour scheme, looks like an Irish flag
                            Where ?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                              The UK MOD recently took delivery of a number of RO-RO ships,or sort of, For Strategic Sealift.
                              Originally the Royal Fleet Auxiliary operated the Ro Ro Vessel Sea Crusader,but this was returned to her Parent Company after 7 Yeasr service.
                              The Current Arrangement allows A.W.S.R. Shipping Ltd (AWSR) to supply the Ministry of Defence (MoD) with a multi-million world-wide strategic transport service through a new Private Finance Initiative (PFI). The sealift service contract will be worth approximately £950 million, depending upon the amount of operational and private usage of the ships, and will run until December 2024,providing ships and crews,which can be used for commercial trading when not required by the MOD.
                              The company was established with the express purpose of bidding for the £950 million contract to construct and own six 20,000-tonne ro-ro vessels for service with the UK's Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Hurst Point
                              Interesting colour scheme , looks like an Irish flag

Comment

Guys, I can't believe this phantasy discussion has gone on for so long.

"Tactical advance to base camp must be assumed"??? The DF doing USMC style landings on a beach somewhere?? Dream on! We don't have the budget for stuff like that. We're a small nation and this kind of discussion is really just about dreaming of being like the "big boys" in NATO. We need to concentrate on being able to do what we can afford to contribute (A Battle Group or an Infantry Brigade) properly, not diversify into absurdities like this.

When the next NS vessel gets decommissioned I'd say the NS will be trying to get by without her. After all, with modern technology you can do more with less. And why would we need a ship with capabilities like that? We can hire transport space with a commercial carrier or some other country for the seldom times it's needed to transport bigger volumes of equipment. "The [need] for C3 capabilities on arrival is now obvious"??? No it's not! Since Ireland does not have the strength to go it alone on a mission there will always be other, bigger nations around on whose C3 capabilities we can piggyback, thereby saving money that's badly needed elsewhere.

What's being assumed here is that Ireland should have the capability to do a mission somewhere totally unsupported by others. That's unrealistic! Europe is creating the Battle Groups to move closer together and make best use of limited military capacities. We can team up with others if we need it. Let's stop wasting time dreaming about being in the "big boys club" and get on with the real core work!

Comment

Working...
                                X