Thanks Thanks:  437
Likes Likes:  952
Dislikes Dislikes:  29
Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1607
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloglass View Post
    I'm neither NIMBY or anti-Brit.......I'm pro Neutrality and Pro UN......All this NATO/Russia stuff is a scam perpetuated to support various arms industries and little else.......Trump is going to spend more billions on "Defense" as apparently the US can't win wars anymore......Meanwhile half his appointments seem to be working for Putin. It's a joke.

We should be reasonably armed to police our (land air and eez) and willing to fight anyone who might "take" them. We should also be capable of expressing our "World View" by making larger contributions to UN projects. I have no problem paying for defense as I see it as a positive contribution to Ireland and the UN.

I think the DF should be expanded by at least 3000 with an eye to greater UN engagement as a matter of national policy. I have little patience for "Boy's Own" Wargamers. We could be "leaders" in the UN if we had the vision.
    P.S.
    I notice that Sweden is to introduce a limited conscription (3000 per annum short term soldiers) to make up numbers in their establishment.
    Given the utter crap record of UN operations (from abuses by UN troops, to shambolic command structures, to corruption, and ultimately the Security Council) at this stage I'd be highly doubtful about committing ourselves to it. I'd much rather EU led groups as while they aren't much better ( in many respects) at least you don't have the same issues like Russia or China dictating our deployments.

2. Thanks apod, danno, Graylion thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Not to argue the point too much but to be pro-UN has to be a dilution of Neutrality, unless the pro is dependent on who you wish to support or assist . Sweden is restarting conscription in the face of Russian adventurism in Ukraine with possible spill over in Latvia and Estonia.
    Very true in regards to Sweden, it has always taken it's defence seriously and it's "neutrality" has been as morpheus put it. Our neutrality and the one that SF and the likes promote is what we have now, limited support, limited capability, reliance on our neighbours to keep us safe.

4. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Country is full of people that think everybody loves the Irish because we are not Brits. we are great crack.

love singing when were drunk. sure we never invaded anyone.

Same people would find it hard to believe the Nazis classed us as a inferior race and were to be worked to death.

As we have never experienced a real war they leave defence to the grown ups else where.

And then there is the likes of sinn fein and the middleclass lefties who would like to cut us off from the rest of the world and turn the

place in to another s£$t pit like cuba.

6. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, EUFighter, apod liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweden is bringing back conscription because it finds it almost impossible to recruit, so does Norway.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that for reserves or regulars?

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Is that for reserves or regulars?
    Neither - conscripts on a 1 or 2 year contract, lets just say that sometimes the motivation of conscripts can be lacking....
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

10. Thanks danno thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    The UN is not as dependable or Kosher as expected. The quality of UN units in some missions are morally weak with little control and leadership. The Supers don't like some of the UN Mandates, especially the US, so funding is tardy and unfocused. The overall problem is it's size and diverse sense of rights and who should have them.

12. Thanks danno thanked for this post
    Dislikes DeV disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Conscripts then become reservists

14. Thanks danno thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this has what to do with EPV exactly?
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

16. Likes DeV liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    And this has what to do with EPV exactly?

Nothing . Getting back to Fleet vessels and their outfits. If the present hull profile continues we must insist that the builder provides closures for the Hawse pipes , such as Buckler Plates, and also closure system for the Spurling pipes to prevent cable locker flooding. Green water on deck is common for all ships and there must not be a potential ingress point unsecured. All weapon systems and their sensors, as installed , must utilise available capability to the maximum possible. The main armament MUST be able to deal with Surface, Air , including missiles, and also shore bombardment in support.

18. Likes restless liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing . Getting back to Fleet vessels and their outfits. If the present hull profile continues we must insist that the builder provides closures for the Hawse pipes , such as Buckler Plates, and also closure system for the Spurling pipes to prevent cable locker flooding. Green water on deck is common for all ships and there must not be a potential ingress point unsecured.
    From doing a bit of google images perusing, would these not all be bog standard features? Do the appledore ships not have them? Have we in effect bought a shitty paddy spec car because the dealer makes more money out of them compared to the better spec UK models?
    .All weapon systems and their sensors, as installed , must utilise available capability to the maximum possible.
    That would go without saying

The main armament MUST be able to deal with Surface, Air , including missiles, and also shore bombardment in support.
    You mention the main armament must be able to - but isn't this a sensors related question? We could have the best main armament in the world but it's useless if blind. Fitted for but not with could be a short term saving. Its the same with heli capability - for the love of god just leave room for the addition of a helideck later on and throw on a "multimission shelter" aka hanger!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    From doing a bit of google images perusing, would these not all be bog standard features? Do the appledore ships not have them? Have we in effect bought a shitty paddy spec car because the dealer makes more money out of them compared to the better spec UK models?

That would go without saying

You mention the main armament must be able to - but isn't this a sensors related question? We could have the best main armament in the world but it's useless if blind. Fitted for but not with could be a short term saving. Its the same with heli capability - for the love of god just leave room for the addition of a helideck later on and throw on a "multimission shelter" aka hanger!
    Sometimes if you don't ask, you dont get. There was a shot of one of our ships at speed with water pressurised up through Hawse pipes and running back over the deck. Either she had no Buckler plates or the crew didn't fit them in place. As regards weapon FCS, they are designed to do the full bit and I am asking that shortsighedness shouldn't see us install a restricted system. If expediency, such as inability to maintain a complete system, is a question, then buy a technical training package for a number of artificers as we did with P31.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a new entrant on the market, the Kership Logistic Support & Projection Vessel (LSPV) 90 from DCNS...90 metres but 3000 tons, maybe a tad slow at 16Knots though.

Displacing 3,000 tons, the LSPV measures 89.9 meters in length with a breadth of 16.7 meters and a draft of 4.3 meters. The hull and superstructure are made of steel while the bridge is aluminum.

The vessel may accommodate a total of 439 people onboard:
    - 39 Crew
    - 150 troops and medical staff in cabins
    - 250 additional accommodation capacity for troops in modular zones

The vessel speed is 16 knots thanks to its two medium speed diesel engines and controllable pitch propellers.

In terms of performance, Kership's LSPV 90 has a range of 11,000 nautical miles at 12 knots. Its endurance is 10 up to 45 days.
    More at the link
    http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...l-lspv-90.html

22. Thanks Galloglass, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Babcocks have a new vessel....Partially derived from the P60s apparently.http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...-contract.htmlOPC_USCG_Babcock.jpg
    Last edited by Galloglass; 13th April 2017 at 00:56.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    There's a new entrant on the market, the Kership Logistic Support & Projection Vessel (LSPV) 90 from DCNS...90 metres but 3000 tons, maybe a tad slow at 16Knots though.
    More at the link
    I wonder who the customer who's needs it was made for is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloglass View Post
    Babcocks have a new vessel....Partially derived from the P60s apparently.http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...-contract.htmlOPC_USCG_Babcock.jpg
    Based on Vard 7 110, which is based on https://vardmarine.com/wp-content/up...VARD-7-100.pdf

26. Thanks Galloglass, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft noted at 5metres, much better freeboard , but still with potential to be wet and bulwarks in the drawings differ on the fore decks. Access to liferafts is not clear with a group of 3 in one drawing and 2 X 2 in another drawing. Bilge keels seem to be minimalised in favour of stabilisers. Not sure until tank tested. The drawings could be variations on the same ship. Maybe!

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    More at the link
    Looking at it, can anyone tell me whether it actually has a hanger for the helicopter (either or below in the "garage area")?

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Looking at it, can anyone tell me whether it actually has a hanger for the helicopter (either or below in the "garage area")?
    Looks like it has from the stern view , plus with the funnel offset to the starboard side it would seem likely .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say not from where I'm sitting. There's nothing that resembles a hangar door nor does there appear to be space longitudinally. Additionally, the picture of the below helideck space is captioned "hangar", which it certainly is not!

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say while the under deck hangar could accomodate a heli, you wouldnt to be able to operate it from the ship when stored as such.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some old interesting info on Eithne

http://www.dfmagazine.ie/site-assets...l_1982-low.pdf

33. Thanks na grohmití, Tempest thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, Sparky42, CTU liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is interesting to visit Eithne today, and, as one who was familiar with her original layout, to see how much she has changed internally.
    I always thought that particular article, and another a few years later covering flight operations from the same author, were very well written, and gave the outsider an excellent impression as to how the ship would operate, in a manner that was almost free of Jargon that most often makes articles of this type unreadable to the reader.
    As a ten year old when I first read this, the 18 year old merchant deck cadet who redrew the plans on a larger scale (and still has them) during the spare hours, and the now 45 year old that has been spewing forth all I learnt from those articles, and built on that knowledge to now find himself in a career that shares hobby with earning potential in a secure state job, I wish to thank the author.
    I only wish he would put pen to paper again and write his memoirs.

35. Likes Sparky42, Tempest, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    It is interesting to visit Eithne today, and, as one who was familiar with her original layout, to see how much she has changed internally.
    I always thought that particular article, and another a few years later covering flight operations from the same author, were very well written, and gave the outsider an excellent impression as to how the ship would operate, in a manner that was almost free of Jargon that most often makes articles of this type unreadable to the reader.
    As a ten year old when I first read this, the 18 year old merchant deck cadet who redrew the plans on a larger scale (and still has them) during the spare hours, and the now 45 year old that has been spewing forth all I learnt from those articles, and built on that knowledge to now find himself in a career that shares hobby with earning potential in a secure state job, I wish to thank the author.
    I only wish he would put pen to paper again and write his memoirs.

Just had a look and can't find it :(

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Just had a look and can't find it :(
    Possibly in the Naval Service 40th Anniversary issue? Feb 86?

Thread Information