• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Read the WP

Well the Government have decided otherwise
    (a) I did, I read it for what it is.
    (b) That government no longer exists.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Well it seems that FG are floating a move to a 9 ship force, with Coveny quoted as wanting it in the new Government rather than over the lifetime of the WP. The Examiner is quoting €90 million? With the potential increase in personnel numbers, would we be looking at an inflation adjusted price for another P60?

The promise is contained in the party’s manifesto, which will be launched in Dublin tomorrow. Defence Minister Simon Coveney has confirmed the detail of the report, seen by this newspaper, which would represent a major boost for Cork.

The manifesto commits to delivering the extra ship within the timeframe of the most recent Defence White Paper which is 10 years, but, Mr Coveney said he expects it to be delivered much sooner than that, most likely in the lifetime of the new government.

The need for the increase in the fleet size is driven by the success of the Irish Navy’s work in the Mediterranean since last year in the rescuing and transportation of refugees.

According to the manifesto, the Government will move “from an eight to a nine-ship flotilla” at an estimated cost of €90m.

As part of a €437m capital investment up until 2021, the party is committing to replacing Defence aircraft as well as a new control tower at Baldonnel aerodrome.

Speaking to this newspaper, Mr Coveney said that the commitment to the Defence Forces is clear in the plan and is a significant investment.

“The additional ship will have implications for Cork harbour and Haulbowline, where the naval service is headquartered,” said Mr Coveney. “Not only will it mean extra personnel but it also means extra engineers. So this is significant.”

There is also mounting speculation that Fine Gael intends restoring defence as a full cabinet ministry after the election, should they be re-elected.

Fine Gael is also promising to develop a new Institute for Peace Support and Leadership Training in the Curragh, starting in 2016. The Peace and Leadership Institute will leverage Ireland’s unique international reputation and relationship with the UN.

It will develop new national and international partnerships with universities and other reputable interested parties and institutions.

Fine Gael will increase the level of female participation in the Defence Forces, with the goal of doubling the rate of participation from the current 6% to 12% in the next five years.

Comment

• What the NS primarily needs is a large flexible OPV with helipad and a freight capacity to contribute to ops at home and overseas.
        Doesn't exist in any recognisable form without evolving into a frigate, an LPD or Replenishment type vessel.

RN has been sending RFA vessels to do a job in the Carribean that used to be done by mainly by destroyers.
        Only because they have nothing else that can do the job and can sustain itself. Frigates destroyers originally despatched are now thin on the ground and needed RFA support.. Seems the T45 are now notorious for Engine problems and can't be sent anywhere without support.

Any vessel with some armament, speed, endurance, seakeeping and RHIBs can do a OPVs job. It may not be the best or the most efficient at it but it can do it.
        Ands thats why we invested so heavily in purpose built OPV's when any vessel can do it?

Again if the army need to be carried on the rare occasion they do... charter, far cheaper and you can buy availability off the shelf.

By all means buy frigates if you want frigates, but don't try one hull be all things to all men.Doomed to failure.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Could be massive news in the next few days folks.

Really big development but unfortunately nothing concrete or official so I cannot say more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
            Could be massive news in the next few days folks.

Really big development but unfortunately nothing concrete or official so I cannot say more.
            It's not nice to tease

Comment

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
              Could be massive news in the next few days folks.

Arghh

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                Arghh

North Korea's tests were all just a smoke screen for the Irish test program

Comment

• I know - the USS Enterprise is coming up for sale at a bargain basement price...
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                    I know - the USS Enterprise is coming up for sale at a bargain basement price...
                    Some running repairs required, but it's at a great price I guess, though the Air Corps is demanding it gets parked in Dublin.

But on a serious note, wouldn't it be a bit strange for something to break now? I mean wouldn't the cabinet had to sign off on anything major?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                      But on a serious note, wouldn't it be a bit strange for something to break now? I mean wouldn't the cabinet had to sign off on anything major?
                      First thought was that this thread has caused the rumours to start flying down Haulbowline way..

As you say, it would be strange timing - except perhaps - if something practical and useful has been offered at a steal.

Other possibilities perhaps some kind of politically easy to sell joint agreement, or exercise.

That or the Abbeyshrule hydrogen bomb warheads are finally integrated with the IMERC ICBM's.

Comment

First thought was that this thread has caused the rumours to start flying down Haulbowline way..

As you say, it would be strange timing - except perhaps - if something practical and useful has been offered at a steal.

Other possibilities perhaps some kind of politically easy to sell joint agreement, or exercise.

That or the Abbeyshrule hydrogen bomb warheads are finally integrated with the IMERC ICBM's.
                        Is anyone flogging anything currently that we would want? I mean it's to early even if the RN were flogging the River Mk1's and would we go for them?

It can't be the Med deployment as that has been well flagged so it's not that, seriously wondering about it.

Comment

• HMS Ocean will be getting laid up in the near future.....guess who's getting a huge big fcuk off MRV
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            HMS Ocean will be getting laid up in the near future.....guess who's getting a huge big fcuk off MRV
                            So that was the secret behind the agreement for surplus equipment! It was all a cunning plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                              Is anyone flogging anything currently that we would want? I mean it's to early even if the RN were flogging the River Mk1's and would we go for them?
                              Maybe it's defensive equipment/systems rather than a ship. Or it's something along the lines of na grohmiti suggested.

Although the thoughts of Enda Kenny standing on the deck of LE Synge (formally HMS Ocean) two days before the people go to the polls, extolling the humanitarian operations it will enable (while in the background an Apache is lowered out of sight) is priceless.

Comment

Maybe it's defensive equipment/systems rather than a ship. Or it's something along the lines of na grohmiti suggested.

Although the thoughts of Enda Kenny standing on the deck of LE Synge (formally HMS Ocean) two days before the people go to the polls, extolling the humanitarian operations it will enable (while in the background an Apache is lowered out of sight) is priceless.
                                Could be, either way I'm certainly interested in what may becoming up. Still surprised that FG have bothered floating the suggestion of another ship, wouldn't have thought it was much of a voter issue outside of people like us.

And yes I like the image you have, now if only I was good at photoshopping! Be great for the Rising Anniversary as well.
                                Last edited by Sparky42; 15 February 2016, 23:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X