This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    See what it actually says, "The ship replacement programme will continue and over the lifetime of the White Paper, Fine Gael will move from a 8- to a 9-ship naval flotilla, to provide for a multi-role vessel."

That would indicate that if returned to power (in the next WP) they may increase the number of OPVs.

Any party's is a list of promises which you expect to be broken. They probably didn't read their own WP, as per the WP Eithne is to be replaced by a MRV.

So this to me would mean, if FG get back in Eithne will be replaced by an OPV and the MRV will be long fingered.
    Are you illiterate? they clearly say that they will increase the size of the flotilla so that they can "provide for a multi role vessel"

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
      Are you illiterate? they clearly say that they will increase the size of the flotilla so that they can "provide for a multi role vessel"
      Which means what?

Eithne will not be replaced by a MRV (as it stated that it will be in the WP). So if they aren't going to replace it with a MRV, it most likely will be a OPV.

They want the MRV to be the 9th vessel (the WP says it should be the 8th (ie as I said above Eithne's replacement)).

And there 9th vessel could be delivered in 2025 (if it was a replacement for Eithne .... she is 35 years old in 2019!).

Comment

Which means what?

Eithne will not be replaced by a MRV (as it stated that it will be in the WP). So if they aren't going to replace it with a MRV, it most likely will be a OPV.

They want the MRV to be the 9th vessel (the WP says it should be the 8th (ie as I said above Eithne's replacement))

And there 9th vessel could be delivered in 2025 (if it was a replacement for Eithne .... she is 35 years old in 2019!).

P31 is an extraordinarily over engineered ship, is she ready to go yet? Any of the eggspurts have an opinion?
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
          P31 is an extraordinarily over engineered ship, is she ready to go yet? Any of the eggspurts have an opinion?
          WP:
          "However, the is a further three Naval Service vessels .... that have, or are reaching the end of their lifespan in the coming years".

There are 3 vessels that require replacement - the 2 CPVs and Eithne. So, yes, it could mean that the 2 CPVs would be replaced with "similar" vessels, Eithne would have have to soldier on until she is up to 41 years old and that an MRV and an Eithne replacement would be purchased in that timeframe.

Comment

• Everyone on IMO already knows what the WP says and now we know what the Fine Gael manifesto says......Nobody seems to know what either actually means as both are deliberately vague. The only really new bit of information is that FG have expressed a desire to increase the fleet to 9 vessels (their desire 5 years ago was to have universal health insurance in place by now) So while I'm delighted that the possibility of 9 ships has been mentioned I would classify the FG statement as "vague" also.
            The majority view on IMO seems to be "more OPVs" similar to P60s or if possible "enhanced" to replace the CPVs but that Eithne should be replaced by something more signifigant which can also function as an OPV. (I agree) Literally anything can be an MRV (Wrens and Ostriches are both birds) I would suggest that Eithnes replacement should not be more than 5,000 tons if she is to function as an OPV. (e,g, Damen Crossover customised for NS use)

Regarding the "troop ferrying" aspect of MRVs I would personally prefer to have an Emergency Towing Vessel as a NS asset to a Ro-Ro for hire. If the Batch 1 Rivers come to market (a distinct possibility) take them immediately to replace the CPVs (they will be cheap) and use the extra funding to order 2 new Eithne replacements.

I am aware that little of the above is in either the WP or FG manifesto but so what?

Comment

WP:
              "However, the is a further three Naval Service vessels .... that have, or are reaching the end of their lifespan in the coming years".

There are 3 vessels that require replacement - the 2 CPVs and Eithne. So, yes, it could mean that the 2 CPVs would be replaced with "similar" vessels, Eithne would have have to soldier on until she is up to 41 years old and that an MRV and an Eithne replacement would be purchased in that timeframe.

There are , i would guess, 3 things governing a ship becoming time expired, the thickness[thinness] of her hull, the state of her propulsion equipment, and her continued suitability, what I want to know is how long before these things begin to effect her, probably to workaday and mundane a question for this discussion,

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                There are , i would guess, 3 things governing a ship becoming time expired, the thickness[thinness] of her hull, the state of her propulsion equipment, and her continued suitability, what I want to know is how long before these things begin to effect her, probably to workaday and mundane a question for this discussion,
                On the question of Eithne, and feel free to tell me nothing if I shouldn't be asking, but she's in the Graving dock at the moment and I'm fairly sure since she came in the crane on the flight deck wasn't there, has that changed, or was it removed for servicing or something before she came into the dock?

Comment

• Eithne will be grand for a few more years.

A huge amount of new hull gone in, complete overhaul of both main engines & gearboxs will be finished by late spring, all davits & cranes overhauled, all alternators tip top delivered by the hardest working engineering team on the planet.

She is looking better inside than ever and as long as money for maintenance stays steady and it looks like it will be actually increase over the next few years.

At least 5 and I wouldn't blink if they said 10
                  Last edited by Toolbox; 17 February 2016, 22:30.

Comment

• I'm saying it was 2004 or thereabouts when she last got an overhaul as deep as this one.

As for Dev, you are so wrong, on so many levels.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Am I?

Name the 3 vessels that will turn 35 years old during the lifetime of this WP ?

Name the 3 vessels that are to be replaced in the WP ?

What type of vessel does the WP say will replace Eithne ?

Comment

• Quiztime

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Am I?

Name the 3 vessels that will turn 35 years old during the lifetime of this WP ?

Name the 3 vessels that are to be replaced in the WP ?

What type of vessel does the WP say will replace Eithne ?
                        Obviously CIARA,ORLA, EITHNE, and a ship called AISLING. The other questions are answered in the WP. Given the original capabilities of P31, she should only be decommissioned when technically she cannot be deployed overseas or in Winter North Atlantic. She is currently scheduled to be second ship for 2016 deployment to the Mediterranean, after LE Roisin. I personally would like to see her flight deck and AWS restored or replaced.

Comment

• When building our new ship, whatever type, we should SPECIFY expected longevity. Engines must last as long as the hull, which in turn should be programmed for a thirtyfive year life+. Care must be taken on coatings, especially Epoxy based systems, which are prone to impact damage. Minor exposed spots will corrode quickly as they develop characteristics of an anode. I would recommend adding 2mm to hull steel thickness to assist in an extended life cycle. The extra weight on a 2500 tonne ship would be about 25tonnes .

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                            Obviously CIARA,ORLA, EITHNE, and a ship called AISLING. The other questions are answered in the WP. Given the original capabilities of P31, she should only be decommissioned when technically she cannot be deployed overseas or in Winter North Atlantic. She is currently scheduled to be second ship for 2016 deployment to the Mediterranean, after LE Roisin. I personally would like to see her flight deck and AWS restored or replaced.
                            Aisling will be replaced in a few months with William Butler Yeats.

I wasn't aware that the Cabinet had approved the mission yet

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              I'm saying it was 2004 or thereabouts when she last got an overhaul as deep as this one.

As good an answer to my question I am going to get I guess.

[/QUOTE]As for Dev, you are so wrong, on so many levels.[/QUOTE]

Please give details, if only to add a measure of sanity to this discussion, it's no good telling people or Dev he is wrong, you have to spell it out.

Comment

• I personally would like to see her flight deck and AWS restored or replaced.
                                To what end as there isn't a helo in the country capable of operating from it. The AC aren't going to replace the existing AW139s anytime soon and the NS would prefer that any money be spent on new build ships than helos....

Again to be reconfigured for overseas users, the cost wouldn't reflect the potential and life span.

Until we go back to the drawing board and make it a standard feature in ALL new builds, the one ship one helo case is dead in the water. Given the P60 class have failed to capitalize on the concept, we are now at least 5 years away from being able to operate a helo again.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X