Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Try https://www.defencejournal.org.uk/co...light-frigate/

Comment

• We are a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm. We design. We guide. We protect. We sustain. We train. We transform.

This one?
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          Link didn't work for me, is this it ?

One of the most obvious contenders for the UK's future light frigate is an offering from BMT, the Venator-110.
          Last edited by Orion; 19 February 2016, 22:46.

Comment

• Grohmiti and Orion. Thanks for correcting my links efforts. Venator concept will add to the knowledge bank.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              Grohmiti and Orion. Thanks for correcting my links efforts. Venator concept will add to the knowledge bank.
              But it gives up on the transport element of the MRV doesn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                Well it seems that FG are floating a move to a 9 ship force, with Coveny quoted as wanting it in the new Government rather than over the lifetime of the WP. The Examiner is quoting €90 million? With the potential increase in personnel numbers, would we be looking at an inflation adjusted price for another P60?
                http://www.irishexaminer.com/electio...ed-381735.html
                wont get much of an MPV / EPV for 90 million

Comment

• Friday 5th February 2016
                  Shipyard launch date

Babcock Appledore shipbuilders have requested a pilot for the floating out of the latest Irish naval ship AS 196 on March 9th evening tide. (1814 hrs HW).

She is apparently to be called the William Butler Yeats.

- See more at: http://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/1....j9AVYa6Y.dpuf

Comment

• Originally posted by restless View Post
                    wont get much of an MPV / EPV for 90 million

That's why I was suggesting that it would be an inflated adjusted P60, I think the general census is even for €120 million getting an EPV/MRV is going to be a challenge.

Comment

• More for reference than anything else, and I've already written than I think it's dead end and something of a illogical concept, but from what I can work out the much touted Absalom class come in at 200m without weapon systems, radars etc. not 200m with all the gear and you could save money by degrading the combat capability.

Can someone confirm that this is, or indeed is not, the case..
                      Last edited by ropebag; 20 February 2016, 20:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                        That's why I was suggesting that it would be an inflated adjusted P60, I think the general census is even for €120 million getting an EPV/MRV is going to be a challenge.
                        Your right of course sparky, the 90 million must be for the 9th ship because if memory serves the epv/mrv was factored into the original white paper budget, or am i getting this all wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                          More for reference than anything else, and I've already written than I think it's dead end and something of a illogical concept, but from what I can work out the much touted Absalom class come in at 200m without weapon systems, radars etc. not 200m with all the gear and you could save money by degrading the combat capability.

Can someone confirm that this is, or indeed is not, the case..

"For the first time in history decided to let the Navy warships building class according to international class rules.
                          The total price for the two vessels with equipment is about 2.5 billion. kr. and the ships planned to be fully operational by the end of 2007."

= 361,770,937.36 EUR, so ~ €180 million apiece.

I presume they're including fixed systems and leaving out the Stanflex modules

From previously worked out figures:
                          SAAB CEROS 200 FCS (there's between 3 & 4 on a single Absalon vessel and they appear to cost ~€5M+ each
                          Thales SMART-S Search Radar ~€8M
                          Exalis ESM ~€3M+
                          Sonar, pure guess - but doubt there'd be much change from €4 or 5M

The Dane's got the hulls for their new Knud Rasmussen class built in Poland, presumably to cut costs, and I guess that could be an option if the Absalon route was explored.

FWIW Knud Rasmussen class appear to be smaller, slower but more warry than the P60's. Per wiki: Service entry of the third ship will be 2016, with an estimated cost of 513 mill Dkr (US$ 91.4 million).
                          Last edited by pym; 20 February 2016, 23:16.

Comment

• €180m in 2002. About €220m now when inflation is considered.
                            Getting hulls built in Poland or Romania is always a good option, but it depends on who the builder is. Vard for example have yards in Romania, Brazil and Vietnam as well as Norway.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              €180m in 2002. About €220m now when inflation is considered.
                              Getting hulls built in Poland or Romania is always a good option, but it depends on who the builder is. Vard for example have yards in Romania, Brazil and Vietnam as well as Norway.
                              Yep, I don't doubt the price has inflated, but it appears the quoted cost includes the fixed weapons/sensor fit.

I'm not arguing for the case for the Absalon though, I like the idea of a Point Class type vessel as a State/NS sealift asset, provided it's #9 and operates alongside 8 purpose built patrol vessels.

Comment

• We are getting ahead of ourselves and over complicating the MRV design. We must decide at the outset, the amount of Sealift required. Then we need to consider basic ship Defence in an environment of surface and air launched attacks. If we go hotter, we need to consider subsurface detection and reply.
                                If we are considering working with other Navies and war gaming, we need all three dimensions and be able to deliver and take Fuel, Liquids, and Stores. This also requires a degree of compatibility in Helo borne exercises and evolutions. Cost is a factor, depending on, as yet undesigned, designed, existing or second hand.
                                Nothing is impossible, in steam days the Navy were already capable in all dimensions of combat.

Comment

Working...
                                X