Social Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media

With the NS 'Captain's Log' tracking the LE Niamh on it's voyage to South America on a daily basis and the the official DFnow well established with facebook, twitter etc....what's the general opinion on these?

Is there more info?
    Are people better informed?
    Does it make a difference?

IMO it gives anyone who wants to watch greater info. But are they any better informed, 'cos the same rumour mill still exists, which is normally a*se-ways!

Discuss....

MOD: I have deleted a number of posts. Let's start again and follow the rules. Next time I'll be handing out points.

Vickers.
    Last edited by Vickers; 20 June 2010, 17:19. Reason: Add content
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Positive overall. I think the example of the Captain's Log and the various updates on the Niamh are an ideal use of Social Media. Highlighting exercises and purchases (LTAV, etc) help increase the profile of the DF amongst people who might otherwise not be as aware. In that sense it's probably more useful for relations with people outside the DF than as a tool for serving personnel.

Comment

they should create a special portal for DF personnel so they can log in and get up to datenews and info and further defence chatter which is still unclassified although on aggregate not necessarily for the public domain.

lets start using what's available to us.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Facebook page page is great. Good links, and The Captain always answers any questions in chat.
          Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

The only problem with putting lots of the Photos on Flickr and Facebook is that is not available in many businesses.
            Both sites are blocked where I work.(IMO isn't).

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              The only problem with putting lots of the Photos on Flickr and Facebook is that is not available in many businesses.
              Both sites are blocked where I work.(IMO isn't).
              that will always be the case but at least they can be viewed when people are at home or on their Smartphones.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

True, however I think it is also important for those in business, and not just private individuals, to have access to what the NS or Air Corps are up to, particularly so they can see what the former DF people they may intend employing have experience in.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

then more effort needs to go into the www.military.ie website to ensure this happens, with a portal for serving soldiers.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Its good to have, you can get some information on them you might not otherwise get, or may take longer to hear about. Pat O'Connor answers every question asked, even though there are some pretty silly ones!! Only thing I will say is that you see people saying things like "It's good to see the DF at *insert whatever here* but how come it wasn't in the news?" it needs to be promoted in the wider media IMO
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      they should create a special portal for DF personnel so they can log in and get up to datenews and info and further defence chatter which is still unclassified although on aggregate not necessarily for the public domain.

lets start using what's available to us.

Its available on the DF Intranet, which is very secure.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Its available on the DF Intranet, which is very secure.
                        yeah but you have to be at work for that. you want something available on the Internet.

serving soldiers should be able to view their pay statements, promotion results and course details on the Internet.

having a site that is firewall friendly offering plenty of info for those not in the military and a portal for those still serving is a good way forward.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket at home that cost be about 60 Punts when I

first got this house- thank God I have never used it--I also have the house connected to a fire

alarm monitors and thank God they have never had to ring anyone on my behalf-

We now are in the situation where we have 10,000 members of the Defence Forces

"sitting around " doing nothing:

I think its vital that in these days of budegatary cutbacks that the DF gets its message out there

as to what you lads do- and why your vital etc;

with this in mind I think we should all whisper a silent thank God that Pat O Connor- Gavin Young

Niall Nolan came along at this particular time.

They are the lads who had to go to the General Staff and say we need to be on face book- BEBO- Twitter etc.

If we dodnt have Pat O Connor- Gavin Young and Nial Nolan- then there would be much more

very similar letters as per todasys Sunday Tribune-

(normally my dyslexia is manageable but tonight I have no glasses and a very small computer
                          so like Miriam O Callaghans's fertility cuyclye tis a matter of look as to what gets through to you)

Everyone on this web site knows what the DF does or has the capibility to do
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

[QUOTE=hedgehog;305814]I

The 1000 crack troops one? I think Jessup pointed out that the Tribune is part of Baron Beanz empire and very anti-public service, so crackpot letters like that are always going to be published.

Comment

[QUOTE=terrier;305937]
                              Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              I

The 1000 crack troops one? I think Jessup pointed out that the Tribune is part of Baron Beanz empire and very anti-public service, so crackpot letters like that are always going to be published.
                              I didnt know the Tribune was part of the Independent group

but if Jess says so then -

however it should be borne in mind that Newspapers form the perpection of the general public:

you and I know what valiant work the Defence Forces do on our behalf- you and I know how

silly it would be to get rid of the DF-

However not everyone has our intimate knowledge of the DF and for everyone of us who

has this knowledge there is at least 100 ordinary members of the public whose opinion

will be formed on letters such as this-

Jess is wrong in seeking to igonre such letters- not only should they be countered with

a positive PR element ( think of what Pat O Connor is doing)

but we should also have preventitive PR in existence in that the word should go out to one

and all- "desist from doing anything really really stupid"

and Court Martialing a clown who called you a prick at the cost of 18 months effort

and €30,000 of legal aid is in anyones definition "really really stupd"
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X