No announcement yet.

Social Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fully agree with the use of social media.
    So long as it is being done professionally and not showing the DF in a negative light. Have been seeing a load of facebook pages and bebp pages getting set up, that are the business.

So I am glad to see that common sense is finally prevailing on this subject, because I was sick of hearing people (of the older generation) talking about these things as a bane and a nuisance. While painting them all with the same brush because of the poor ones that were out.

Most of them mainly on bebo too I might add, but there are a few exceptional ones on bebo too that show the DF in a positive light. Although, they all seem to be for the RDF and RDF units, but still good work all round none the less.

Keep up the good work I say.

Comment

Army and Air Corps getting it in the ear on Joe shit stir Duffy today.

Talk on Tom Dunne about the Congo and the possible making of a

film on the Jadotville seige

Comment

Any recent group invitations I've received on Facebook have been to do with the World Cup, or depending on the friend, something it wouldn't be polite to mention on a public forum.

Just received an invitation from Pat O'Connor to 'RIP Lieutenant General Dermot Earley DSM'. It goes to show how much the DF are embracing this at the moment.

Comment

I got that invite too.
          And its a really good page. Was just checking it out. I do love the picture with George Best on it too.

But if the social networking page is being run properly, then what's the problem. I know that a lot of people are up in arms over bebo pages and facebook pages, but the majority of these people are really people who don't have a facebook page and don't understand them.

But I am glad to see that the attitude is now changing, and that's down to people (maybe making a stand to make their pint) that they're not the scourge that people paint them as. Granted there are tools out there who post the wrong stuff, but you can't control that. And they're the ones that should be clamped down on.

But not every page should fall under the same rule of thumb. Especially if they are "professionally" done and show the RDF/PDF in a really good light.
          I had a few pages on my bebo page in uniform and an NCO told me to take them down. There's nothing wrong with them either. Just some pictures of me and my section, no messing in them or anything. The guy said he wants me to take them down because the'yre on bebo, but if they were on facebook that would be fine.

I mean what the hell does that mean? I think he doesn't know what he is talking about. He said the DF allow pics on facebook, but only on facebook because they have a facebook page. But bebo pics are not allowed.
          These pics were just of me and my section - with the Steyrs and GPMG - same as you would see on a fireplace in your home. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I am pretty sure that's not the case. I know there is a DFR about pics and so on, but I also know that there is a relaxed approach to what you put up as long as it is something appropriate to the DF. Pics that show the organisation in a positive light.

Can anyone throw in some insight to this please?

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
            Army and Air Corps getting it in the ear on Joe shit stir Duffy today.

Talk on Tom Dunne about the Congo and the possible making of a

film on the Jadotville seige
            What are they saying? (both)

or what did they say rather?
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Ghostrider, there was a directive about it recently I think. Our platoon commander read it out to us and the gist seem to be that it's alright provided it shows the DF in a professional light. I'd check it out further though.

It being alright on Facebook but not Bebo seems ridiculously pedantic though, and I can't remember any such thing being mentioned in the brief we got.

Actually, given the thread topic the easiest way would probably be to ask Captain O'Connor on Facebook. Some of the lads have mentioned he replies when contacted with the chat feature. Assuming of course you have an account.
              Last edited by FoxtrotRK; 1 July 2010, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxtrotRK View Post
                Ghostrider, there was a directive about it recently I think. Our platoon commander read it out to us and the gist seem to be that it's alright provided it shows the DF in a professional light. I'd check it out further though.

It being alright on Facebook but not Bebo seems ridiculously pedantic though, and I can't remember any such thing being mentioned in the brief we got.

Actually, given the thread topic the easiest way would probably be to ask Captain O'Connor on Facebook. Some of the lads have mentioned he replies when contacted with the chat feature. Assuming of course you have an account.
                Just asked there now, he said that you can post things about the DF if they are positive and don't endanger OPSEC. The bebo being different to FB thing is complete nonsense

Comment

There's nothing wrong with them either.
                  2008 The COS issued a directive regarding posting images without the DFs consent...end of story Bebo or Facebook.

Anything thats up there requires official sanction.

Of course you can be told to remove them but you can alos contact the DF press office and get permission to submit them.

As long as you are subject to Military law you must conform.

Or you could be just like me and don't give a shit.

the other side being if the page is on a friends only basis why was this other guy going through your photos?

Whats the worst they can do.. A court Martial..we can see how much of a farce that can be...
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    2008 The COS issued a directive regarding posting images without the DFs consent...end of story Bebo or Facebook.

Anything thats up there requires official sanction.
                    I think that's been revised, Murph.

Comment

its ok to post as long as OPSEC isnt breached and the DF isnt shown in a bad light

Comment

We got the same brief at the end of our camp, To be honest we more confused than ever by then end of it with some people saying No pics at all some saying crack on whatever you want so i mailed Capt O Connor to clarify the issue he said provided the Pictures didnt compromise OPSEC or PERSEC and the pictures portrayed the DF in a positive light there would be no problems!
                        Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Social Media Policy -

There is a new social networkng policy in for approval, with all the necessary on who,what,where,when.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                            What are they saying? (both)

or what did they say rather?

Comment

appreciated

Comment

listening to that now. That first guy on is a complete joke, Dermot or something. JD is good at the old shit-stirring all the same. To be fair, not a bad host, gets the best out of the callers or whatever but you really do hear some real mentalists on there