Lt Gen Dermot Earley DSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goc132 View Post
    Great program for a great leader for our country let alone the Defence Forces. All people to look up to him unlike the rest of the leaders of our country(political)
    I'll second that...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I will admit that I was nearly in tears toward the end of that program. A terrible way for such a leader to be cut down.

I consider it my misfortune not to have met him, and my privilege to wear the same uniform.
      If at first you don't succeed, then call in an airstrike.

Comment

I missed this on Monday but watching it there really makes you proud..

Though to watch towards the end to watch how someone so powerful was reduced to
        a only a shadow of himself.
        Still carry his mass card in my wallet with me as someone to look up to.
        Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

Today marks the first anniversary of the death of Dermot Earley. This evening, at 6pm, a documentary based on his life was aired on Shannonside Radio. Entitled "Dermot Earley - A Leader and a Gentleman" it was fantastic.

The GAA Museum at Croke Park recently launched an exhibition featuring memorabilia from his extraordinary life. The exhibition, titled Dermot Earley - Leader & Legend, opened on June 16th and will run until Spring 2012. It feature souvenirs from Dermot’s life as a hugely successful Gaelic footballer, playing for both Roscommon and Connacht, and from his distinguished military career in the Irish Defence Forces

In addition on the gaaroscommon.ie website there is a picture slide show of his life which you might enjoy the link is here

God rest you Chief. You will be remembered tonight as the bonfires are lit through out Roscommon.

Comment

Well done In my Opinion

he was a great man and a great ball player

and better still a great Soldier.
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

sounds like a top man, RIP.
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Sadly missed by all

Comment

A year gone? It seems like only yesterday.
                  A sad loss still felt.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Proud to say I was lucky enough to have met the man on a number of occasions. Will never forget the firm handshakes he used to give. A great soldier, sportsman, leader, and a true gentleman. Rest in peace sir.
                    Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

• A fast year for all but not for his family

Comment

Working...
                      X