Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAV for the new OPV's?

Hi All,

Would anyone care to speculate as to what UAV will be used on the new OPV's when they arrive in a few years time?

I believe the specs call for the new ships to be "UAV capable" and at 90M I'd believe there should be plenty of space aft to accomodate the neccesary landing area/equipment etc.

Personally I only have a limited knowledge of such vehicles but id be interested to see/hear peoples thought's on such an important element of the new Patrol vessels.

I assume something like the Firescout http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/firescout/ is far too advanced for our needs (Id be amazed despite desires for future proofing if we ever choose a weapons capable UAV) but Google didn't really throw up too many other alternatives.

Anyone care to share thoughts?

Thanks in advance

The tender document states the current naval UAV... but no one on the board seems to know what it is.

Comment

As I mentioned on another thread, the German Navy will be equipping each of their K-130 corvettes (~90m) with two Schiebel Camcopters.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        The tender document states the current naval UAV... but no one on the board seems to know what it is.
        it actually states

Flight Deck UAV ops only, deploying current naval UAV’s with redundancy for medium size VTOL tactical UAV

which can be read as those naval UAV's currently on the market as well as larger ones

Comment

To me it reads as UAVs currently inservice with the NS as there already is medium size tactical UAVs on the market.

Open to correction.

Comment

Current Naval UAV's as in Naval UAV's currently available. There are no current Irish NS UAV's. If there were specific data re size and type would have been provided. The only current UAV in DF service is the prone to being homesick Orbiter.

Comment

Thats what you get when you strap a camcorder and a Tom Tom SatNav to a homing pigeon.

Comment

Actually its like every other computerised system:

S**T in, S**T out.

Comment

Camcopter® s-100

Schiebel is extremely pleased to announce that it has partnered with French shipbuilder DCNS for the purpose of deploying its unrivalled and in-production CAMCOPTER® S-100 Unmanned Air System (UAS) onboard their new Gowind class of OPV (Offshore Patrol Vessel), L ADROIT which was launched in May.

The Gowind Class L'ADROIT, previously known as Hermes, has been designed to operate, amongst other capabilities, a UAS, and by installing the appropriate cabling and supporting equipment during build, has been fitted out to operate the maritime proven CAMCOPTER® S-100 from day one.

The ship will be used primarily to conduct maritime surveillance and reconnaissance missions as well as anti-piracy and anti smuggling operations and is believed to be the first vessel ever to be designed and built to purposely carry a UAS.

Comment

We were just discussing that aircraft on the OPV thread two days ago. Seems to be growing very popular for Naval ops. Ironically developed in a landlocked country.

Comment

I wonder could they be developed to launch a life raft? could be very useful secondary role for it
                      giving time for either a vessel to steam to a scene or for a SAR chopper to make it on scene

Comment

I wonder could they be developed to launch a life raft? could be very useful secondary role for it
                        giving time for either a vessel to steam to a scene or for a SAR chopper to make it on scene
                        Ever try lifting a life raft?

the scale of the machine we are talking about is just above model aeroplane scale..look at the Armys and ask what could it carry.....?
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

it's got a 100lb payload,it seems that there is a good number of 6 man rafts weighing in between 60-90lb available?

Comment

Originally posted by warthog View Post
                            it's got a 100lb payload,it seems that there is a good number of 6 man rafts weighing in between 60-90lb available?
                            What weight/capacity are the rafts dropped from the CASA?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by warthog View Post
                              giving time for either a vessel to steam to a scene or for a SAR chopper to make it on scene..............it's got a 100lb payload,it seems that there is a good number of 6 man rafts weighing in between 60-90lb available?
                              seems a pretty decent idea warthog, i didn't realise they had such lift capacity.

would be a decent asset to have, but what is their range?

i guess the victims would need to be identified first by another air asset for this to work, otherwise the life raft would be deployed from the local vessel.
                              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X