Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orion View Post
    Aim low ... yeah yeah yeah
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Or fail spectacularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
      Crawl. Walk. Run. Or fail spectacularly.
      Ok I get it, Irish bad, foreign off the shelf good. Even if the foreign off the shelf was built to a foreign requirement for conditions not matching Ireland's. Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Ok I get it, Irish bad, foreign off the shelf good. Even if the foreign off the shelf was built to a foreign requirement for conditions not matching Ireland's. Sounds like a plan.
        Just no.

Proven, functioning , reproducable under economies of scale, good. New, unproven design, unproven manufacturer be it Irish/American/French or Mongolian: Bad. I'm sorry but that's a fact because you're obviously either somehow connected, hopelessly irrational or drunk.

Generation one Irish Naval UAS must be a proven design. Under EU tendering requirements and the DoD's own recent requirements in same process for proven capability they most likely will be. A welcome development to see the NS engaging with industry but as a complete novice to UAV ops, it must be able to draw on the experience, procedures and training of other operators, something that can only be done by operating the same type. By all means become a proving ground for home grown designs when in house UAV expertise is at sufficient levels.

Last I'm saying on the matter as I fear you're taking insult from cold facts .

Comment

Irish = bad because not COTS, unless if some Imerc money fart somehow does what global defence companies cannot do and invents the perfect UAV. Maybe Irish weather and other operational parameters are entirely unique so can only be solved by an irish designed UAV constructed of COTS parts - anyway it'll be ****ed because of Irish export defence licensing or lack thereof. Imerc could go for simpler non pie in the sky projects that might actually sell...
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

It may not be the best option operationally, but I see this as a potential pay off a longer term benefit. Linking the defence forces to development and investment for Irish industry is essential if we are to secure government and public interest in defence. We've missed this boat and bus several times before. Maybe if they get this right defence won't be a dirty word in the irish economy. Building the defence forces has to be seen as something Irish people can make money from. If that happens, the defence forces stand to benefit in the longer term.
            Last edited by expat01; 18 June 2015, 07:22.

Comment

Originally posted by expat01 View Post
              It may not be the best option operationally, but I see this as a potential pay off a longer term benefit. Linking the defence forces to development and investment for Irish industry is essential if we are to secure government and public interest in defence. We've missed this boat and bus several times before. Maybe if they get this right defence won't be a dirty word in the irish economy. Building the defence forces has to be seen as something Irish people can make money from. If that happens, the defence forces stand to benefit in the longer term.
              Exactly, as I understand the UAVs are coming from an IMERC company

Comment

Just a quick but I believe important question on this: Timescales? When are the UAV's coming? Is it only when P63 is in service? is there even a plan in place to have something airborne by 2017? or 2020? Or ever? Or is it (as it seems to be) all just talk?

Comment

Interesting article here, http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/06/a...tor-fisheries/, regarding the Aerovel Flexrotor. A UAV capable of vertical take off and landing and can operate for two days.

In operation
                  Last edited by ODIN; 6 August 2015, 23:41.
                  What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Another way of doing things..

If the NS is still working with an Irish company on the sail technology which is meant to increase efficiency and host sensors, maybe they should have a chat with DARPA.

Comment

Darpa do their thing, IMERC does its thing.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Sure, but there's an obvious opportunity for some shared development. Politically, meh, yeah there'd be problems.

But both systems could allow for dramatic improvements in surveillance range, especially for over the horizon UAV ops.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                          Another way of doing things..

If the NS is still working with an Irish company on the sail technology which is meant to increase efficiency and host sensors, maybe they should have a chat with DARPA.
                          would the ship not have to steam into wind for this system to work, limiting its ability to deploy?

Comment

The Naval Service will this year make history when it tests new kite sails which will have the combined effect of providing enhanced surveillance and saving fuel.

Comment

Monday, January 27, 2014......
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Yep and that article is from 2014 - haven't seen any pictures or reports of trials as of yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X