US Army............WTF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Army............WTF!

Being in artillery all I can possibly say when I seen this picture is, WTF is going on!?

Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

They appear to be firing a mortar.

Comment

Yep. It's definately a mortar
      There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

For a second there I taught they all had lost something or they all had back problems.

Comment

Yer not much of an artilleryman if you can't see the bipod legs on this mortar,
          which are clearly visible in the picture.....
          Last edited by Truck Driver; 12 September 2010, 11:39.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger View Post
            Yep. It's definately a mortar
            Seconded

Comment

I suspect the bipod legs were doing there usual jumping jacks bit and knock off his bubbles and MAP so he's giving a go at holding them down,,,

would work but not very safe and prob very sore on his joints but hey when your friends are at risk you do the work thats needed!!!

Comment

Its for when you want to get a few bombs into an area very quickly

the bipod legs are held and it saves valuable time in relaying.

this action wont take out a point target

but if your layed on an area and next thing

the area is full of baddies

then this method will allow you put maximun bombs on an area target within a short time
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I am not an experienced military man like yourself Paul but as a civilian observer it appears to me from the smoke in the picture that there has been some kind of discharge from that tripod thingy.

Judging by the way the soldiers are trying to cover their ears it must have created one heck of a loud bang when it went off.

I am only guessing here you understand but it looks like it may be an artillery weapon of some kind and that the soldiers were probably firing it in the direction of the enemy.

I hope that helps.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

I'd imagine they're in the middle of some FFE and are saving themselves a bit of time by keeping the bipod legs steady as possible?

Now the real question I'd like to ask as a mortarologist is, why aren't they kneeling to attention?

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                      I'd imagine they're in the middle of some FFE and are saving themselves a bit of time by keeping the bipod legs steady as possible?

Now the real question I'd like to ask as a mortarologist is, why aren't they kneeling to attention?
                      Because they havent done their course in the Battalion.
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hi all,
                        Perhaps they had to adjust the aim of the mortar, beyond the traverse limit, by moving the bipod legs and the shot just fired is the bedding-in round, ie, the baseplate is now settled but they still have to secure the legs.The ground appears to be sandy so the mortar will shift as each round is fired,requiring frequent readjustment.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          Hi all,
                          Perhaps they had to adjust the aim of the mortar, beyond the traverse limit, by moving the bipod legs and the shot just fired is the bedding-in round, ie, the baseplate is now settled but they still have to secure the legs.The ground appears to be sandy so the mortar will shift as each round is fired,requiring frequent readjustment.
                          regards
                          GttC
                          You never have to go through bedding in for a bipod three.

As you said, it's simply that the ground seems to be too hard for the bipod legs to stick into the ground.

Comment

They have just fired and I does give off one hell of a band, but what I really want to know is. Why one of them is on the gound, underneath the mortar holding the bipods while its being fired?

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                              They have just fired and I does give off one hell of a band, but what I really want to know is. Why one of them is on the gound, underneath the mortar holding the bipods while its being fired?
                              Considering how hard the ground looks, it's more than likely an attempt to stop the legs from jumping when the bomb leaves the barrell.

Comment

Working...
                              X