No announcement yet.

OPV's for sale. Mint condition!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This subject just got a mention on "The Panel" of all places. Quoted a newspaper article that described these vessles as three "higher spec ships" for €80m total.

Comment

• To be fair, they did make a joke about the cattle trader method in which the deal(if it existed) was touted.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Well the Port of Spain was again in and around the Solent yesterday. I wonder if she has been found another interested party?

Comment

• pmtts you beat me to it!

Flying into a London Airport from the south yesterday I noticed a naval vessel south east of the Isle of Wight performing some tight turns(visible wake from above). Not surprising given the proximity of Portsmouth, but upon checking AIS back in Dublin I saw Port of Spain was out and about on sea trials.

There is at least one forlorn looking aircraft carrier gathering rust in one of Portsmouth's basins also. Second large vessel beside it, possibly another type. Any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
            pmtts you beat me to it!

Flying into a London Airport from the south yesterday I noticed a naval vessel south east of the Isle of Wight performing some tight turns(visible wake from above). Not surprising given the proximity of Portsmouth, but upon checking AIS back in Dublin I saw Port of Spain was out and about on sea trials.

Another of the OPV's, San Fernando being towed into Portsmouth this morning. Looks like she has arrived from the BAE yard at Scotstoun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
              pmtts you beat me to it!

There is at least one forlorn looking aircraft carrier gathering rust in one of Portsmouth's basins also. Second large vessel beside it, possibly another type. Any ideas?
              The aircraft carrier is probably HMS Invincible. She was decommissioned a few years ago and has been stripped of much of her equipment. I think she's for sale for scrap at this stage.

Comment

• I believe Vince is tied up next to 2 Type 42 Destroyers awaiting disposal. Maybe that's what you saw?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  I believe Vince is tied up next to 2 Type 42 Destroyers awaiting disposal. Maybe that's what you saw?
                  I think one of those 42's was Nottingham. I think she has left Pompey now.

Comment

• Well the saga is finally over.

The Brazilian Navy has signed a contract worth £133 million with BAE Systems for the supply of three Ocean Patrol Vessels and ancillary support services.

The contract also contains a Manufacturing Licence to enable further vessels of the same class to be constructed in Brazil.

The three 90 metre vessels, originally constructed for the Government of Trinidad & Tobago, will provide the Brazilian Navy with enhanced maritime capability in the near term, pending the acquisition of future ships under its PROSUPER programme (Brazil’s current surface ship acquisition plan). The first two ships will be delivered in 2012 and the third will follow in early 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmtts View Post
                      Well the saga is finally over.

The Brazilian Navy has signed a contract worth £133 million with BAE Systems for the supply of three Ocean Patrol Vessels and ancillary support services.

The contract also contains a Manufacturing Licence to enable further vessels of the same class to be constructed in Brazil.

The three 90 metre vessels, originally constructed for the Government of Trinidad & Tobago, will provide the Brazilian Navy with enhanced maritime capability in the near term, pending the acquisition of future ships under its PROSUPER programme (Brazil’s current surface ship acquisition plan). The first two ships will be delivered in 2012 and the third will follow in early 2013.
                      That's expensive compared to the cost of our OPV's,for a vessel which seems less capable. Depends on what the "ancillary support services" include I suppose.

Comment

• Its actually quite highly spec'd, and the manufacturing licence is priceless, particularly given the surge in demand for OPVs in South America.

Comment

• The specs on these particular OPV's are :

Main armament: 30 mm
                          Secondary armament: 25 mm
                          (port & starboard)
                          12.7mm gun location (port and starboard)
                          Air and surface surveillance radar
                          X-band navigation radar
                          S-band navigation radar
                          Electro-optic system electronics
                          Fire monitors 4

20 metre flight deck for seven
                          tonne helicopter
                          16 tonne crane
                          6 x six metre ISO containers
                          Pacific 24, speed 39 knots
                          Fast interceptor craft

High frequency transceiver
                          Very high frequency transceiver
                          Very High Frequency marine band
                          Global maritime distress safety system

2 x 7,350kw diesel engines
                          2 x Warstilla propellers

Displacement 1,800 tonnes
                          Length 90 metres
                          Maximum beam 13.5 metres
                          Top speed 25 knots
                          Range 5,500 miles
                          Crew size 70
                          Embarked troops/passengers 50
                          Endurance 35 days

Comment

• Amazonas to make a splash in Brazil as BAE set to deliver first OPVContributor: Andrew Elwell

This week BAE Systems will deliver the first of three Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) to Brazil as part of the £133 million deal it struck earlier this year.

The OPV, named Amazonas, will be handed over to Brazil on Friday. Originally the three ships were to be built for Trinidad and Tobago but the contract was cancelled following schedule and design issues. The new deal with Brazil now includes a manufacturing license for the Brazilians to continue to build additional OPVs indigenously.

Several weeks before the announcement of the deal with Brazil, Rear Admiral Francisco Deiana, the Brazilian Navy’s Director of Engineering, informed a Defence IQ delegation of the country’s plans for expanding its offshore patrol fleet given the immediate maritime challenges it faces.

“Natural resources, maritime traffic, and the biodiversity of the Brazilian jurisdictional waters represent strategic national interests subject to risk associated to unauthorised presence of ships, drug trafficking, smuggling, piracy, illegal fishing, terrorism and marine pollution,” he said.

“In order to protect the Blue Amazon, and to act properly in Search and Rescue duties, the Brazilian Navy must be equipped with compatible naval assets to act both in coastal and blue waters”, Deiana continued.

“The Brazilian Navy understands that the OPV is the most suitable asset to carry out this task, especially in peacetime…thus, the programme is currently one of highest priority for us.”

The Amazonas weighs 2,200 tonnes fully loaded and carries a 30mm cannon and two 25mm guns. The OPV can accommodate a crew of 70 and has a helicopter flight deck and rigid inflatable boat. Top speed is said to be in excess of 25 knots

Comment

• yes we signed the deal with babcock marine years back and the keel of the ship was actually laid a couple of months ago which means that construction on the ships are underway

Comment

• Lads,
                                some of you might be interested in Defence IQ's 7th Annual OPV Conference this September in Amsterdam. See:

Comment

Working...
                                X