Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who in your opinion provides better value for money-the army or navy reserve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who in your opinion provides better value for money-the army or navy reserve?

Give reasons for and why!

Its been done....
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Each has a different mandate, so they can't really be compared.

It like trying to say whos more VFM the Gardai or the health service.
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

^ Well thats an easy one in today's Ireland,the Gardaí!

Comment

My dad's better than your dad
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
            My dad's better than your dad
            I met your dad. He is quite impressive.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I've noticed this thread for some time. There is a value factor lurking. Reserves of any type must be readily assimilated into their parent units, and frontlined as much as possible in operational tasks. Any reserve category, green, blue, or navy, that cannot be used should be disbanded as a waste of time and money. Hopefully the Naval reserve, with periods of full time training, will routinely be deployed to shipboard duties. Most causes of exclusion is because of lack of opportunity to fully qualify as watchkeepers. I think the Jury is still out on VFM.

Comment

lack of opportunity to fully qualify as watchkeepers
                Answer me this : if you have a civvy cert saying you have 10 years as a captain of say "Jonathan swift" or the Ulysses, you join the NSR and commission, will you be allowed be the duty watchkeeper ? ( words may be wrong there but you know what I mean )
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

No.

Even direct entries in the past had to resit watching keeping certs naval style.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

In my experience, after a six week getting to know you indoctrination course, yes indeed. Many past officers both Seaman and ME's were ex- Merchant Navy and some were ex-RN. I see no problem once properly inducted, and mentored in all tricky areas like Q&A regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      Answer me this : if you have a civvy cert saying you have 10 years as a captain of say "Jonathan swift" or the Ulysses, you join the NSR and commission, will you be allowed be the duty watchkeeper ? ( words may be wrong there but you know what I mean )
                      I just PM'd you a linked-in of a NSR officer who is a ships captain, master mariner, certifies the training of Irish naval officers but is not allowed to fill any role whatsoever on an Irish naval vessel himself.
                      Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Union rules, Bud. Not-invented-here syndrome. This is the DF where a person qualified to fly it's aircraft are not allowed to drive it's smallest car.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          Union rules, Bud. Not-invented-here syndrome. This is the DF where a person qualified to fly it's aircraft are not allowed to drive it's smallest car.
                          We need to actively pursue recruitment of NSR from trained mariners both ashore and afloat once they meet all the usual criteria. Watchkeeping officers of all types are useful as are ratings in all departments. The latest VFM review of Reserve Forces, militates against a realistic format for recruitment or retention of reservists. It envisages a kind of enhanced SCOUTS where most things will be done free as volunteers, helping out in emergencies FOC. They envisaged that there will be one week of paid training P.A. with no gratuities or allowances for travel, insurance etc.

Comment

That's because the "VFM" Review was written by people who fail to understand the very Single Force concept that they supposedly came up with.

Comment

Of course in 2005 the NSR establishment was cut by 20% (AR was cut by around 8% or so).

The 2011 reorg the NSR was cut by 50% (as was the AR).

But IMHO the deployment of 3 of the NSR Coys should be looked at (as with the 16 non-barracks Inf Coys).

Comment

Working...
                              X