Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navy aircraft UK carrier will be sold after three years, no jets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are the cranes for anyhow Goldie? the new Royal Navy carrier?

speaking of which - i was in the Isle of Wight all weekend and the USS George Bush Snr is anchored in Portsmouth - a proper warship which looked almost alien with all it's aircraft on deck.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
      It's one crane, a Goliath, was put up in Rosyth where all the carrier bits will be put together, in a specially expanded drydock.

Even though the facilities already existed in H&W.
      oh right, maybe its to do with cost and security of the facility aswell as the thousands (many probably from England and Scotland) who would be working on her in Belfast?

i have no idea, unless it is purely political.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

fair one.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Any hope/fear the money intended to be used for the mothball and unavoidably payable under the contract could be paid to the same yard to build T26s.

Comment

UK MOD is not happy - their response today ....

NAO report into Carrier Strike costs
            Following the release of the National Audit Office (NAO) report into Carrier Strike, the media have suggested that the cost of building the two new aircraft carriers will reach £10bn. This is not true. The £10bn referred to in the report is the estimated costs for the Carrier Strike project as a whole, which includes the costs of acquiring the Carrier Variant of the fifth-generation Joint Strike Fighter, the costs of building the two Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers, and converting one to operate the new aircraft.
            In response to the National Audit Office's report into Carrier Strike, Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox said: "I am disappointed that the NAO were not able to produce an agreed report. We inherited a massive Defence deficit which included a carrier project that was already £1.6bn over budget. The Strategic Defence and Security Review put this programme back on track and delivered £3.4bn of overall savings to Carrier Strike. The NAO has noted that our decision to build the second new aircraft carrier makes financial sense, and supports UK industry and the significant cost and capability advantages of the aircraft we now plan to fly from it.
            "Converting one of the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers to operate the more capable and cost effective Carrier Variant of the Joint Strike Fighter fast jet will maximise our military capability and enhance interoperability with our allies. Operating the more cost effective Carrier Variant fast jet will also over the longer term offset the conversion costs. In the meantime we have rightly assessed that we can rely on our extensive basing and overflight rights as we are doing to great effect in Libya.
            "In addition to the new carrier capability operating the fifth-generation Joint Strike Fighter, our vision for Future Force 2020 includes a Royal Navy operating seven new Astute Class submarines, the new Type 26 Global Combat Ship and Type 45 destroyers."
            The Ministry of Defence's Permanent Secretary, Ursula Brennan, said: "I am concerned that the NAO have taken the unusual step of publishing this report without agreeing the final text with me, as Accounting Officer, as required by their own guidance."

I thought I read somewhere that HMS Prince of Wales was to be re-designated Ark Royal

Comment

Looks like the government may have to reverse its decision to go with cats and traps.

The Ministry of Defence confirms it is reviewing parts of its new aircraft carrier programme, throwing doubt over the planned use of the F-35 fighter plane.
              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                Looks like the government may have to reverse its decision to go with cats and traps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17233867

I don't see that they have any choice, IMHO they will operate either F-18's or a navalised version of the Typhoon, the F35 looks like a seriously dead duck. Getting rid of the Harriers and the Invincible was very stupid..
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The whole thing has the potential to turn into an embarrassing debacle of Nimrod proportions...

Ironic that the ships can be built, but the biggest problem is what will fly off them.

You'd be tempted to think they would have thought about and made concrete decisions first!!!

Naval Typhoon anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                    The whole thing has the potential to turn into an embarrassing debacle of Nimrod proportions...

Ironic that the ships can be built, but the biggest problem is what will fly off them.

You'd be tempted to think they would have thought about and made concrete decisions first!!!

Naval Typhoon anyone?
                    Err: http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation...et_723470.html
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

This Wiki article is interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofig...ed_Eurofighter

If I am reading that right they are talking about launching using a ski jump, then recovery by arrestor hook.

Given the problems with the US programme, this might end up being an option which will be considered further.

Comment

If the Typhoon is to be navalised it doesn't look as if it will be done via an India deal
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-16809532
                        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Latest on the unfolding debacle

Ministers are considering a possible U-turn over the choice of fighter plane for the aircraft carrier currently under construction, the BBC understands.

Comment

Have they given up on calling the POW Ark Royal.

Comment

i'm afraid that this is going to make Nimrod MRA4, Nimrod AEW, Tornado ADV, L85, FRES, and Astute look like smart, on-time and on-budget procurement triumphs.

lots of issues going around the moment - the cost of changing the carriers from STOVL to C&T, the likelyhood of F-35B actually surviving US defence budget cuts (its belived that Cameron got a Gypsies warning from Obama about that on his recent US trip), BAES throwing a wobbly because they get more out of the B than they do the A or C, and of course the crabs trying to persuading the PM that he should go for F-35B because a) it means they won't have to spend much time at sea, and b) it keeps fixed wing aviation in their hands - if we go for two carriers with F-35C/SuperHornet/Rafale then the FAA will be the big, hard boys of UK military fixed wing aviation, and the RAF will get QRA and airshows.

i'm still offering £50 on the carriers being cancelled in the 2015 SDSR (and us getting about £10m in scrap value), with F-35 being kicked into the long grass and eventually cancelled in 2020...

Comment

announcement on JSF at 1115 Thurs 10th May. looks certain to be the 'B' with no firm commitment on two in-service carriers.

i've still got £50 on eventual cancellation when the public cost of 'B' gets to $150m a shot.

its a frightening, alarmingly bad decision - and directly in the face of US advice on the issue. brilliant...

Comment

Working...
                                X