Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    yeehah1

Fouga Magisters with ordinance

29-09-03
    Hi guys!
    I have a question you fly-boys may be able to help me with.
    I am modelling a 1/48 scale kit of the Fouga Magister as an Irish Air Corps plane.
    A friend of mine recently showed me a photo he had taken a few years ago of several Irish Fougas at either Shannon or Dublin airport and they were sporting some form of underwing ordinance.
    Anybody know what this might have been and why they had them, as I'd love to be to "kit-bash" the model and add these pieces to the Magsiter for a certain authenticity.
    Thanks in advance.
    Liam
    yeehah1@eircom.net

Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK....

The Fouga could carry two 6-round 68mm SNEB rocket launchers, one under each wing, and two AA52 machine guns in the nose.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Yeehah,

You'll find 2 pictures of a Fouga armed with rocket pods on IrishAirPics.com/. Also, in one of the pictures the Fouga is armed with two machine guns in the nose. I'll post links to the pictures later when I get a chance.

Regards,

Frank.

IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
    http://www.irishairpics.com

yeehah1
    30-09-03
    Thanks for the reply FMolloy. I am surprised to hear they had guns as well. I have seen the one stored in the FAS facility in Shannon ( 218 ) and I have some nice photos of it. There are on the nose two positions that ae covered and closed and I always assumed that was were the guns might go.
    I just thought they had "deleted" them.
    Would I be correct to say these covers would not have been present when the Fougas were in active service?
    Any photos of the Fougas with the machine guns showing?
    Liam

yeehah1

Talking

30-09-03
    Hey Frank.
    That was quick!:-patriot: Thanks a lot!
    Liam

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally the guns were not fitted, the nose of the aircraft appeared as you saw it, with the gun positions closed. When required, the the guns were fitted in the nose, the blanking panels were removed & the barrels protruded out from positions.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Yeehah,

Here are the links to the two pictures I mentioned:

Picture 1, rocket pods & guns (If you want I can send you a bigger version of this picture)

And

Picture 2

And here is a link to a close up of the covered up gun ports on the nose:

Picture 3

Is there any chance you'd be able to send me on the pictures of that Fouga in Shannon with the intention of putting them on the IrishAirPics.com website?

You can upload the pictures here: http://www.irishairpics.com/submissions.html

Regards,

Frank.

yeehah1
    30-09-03
    Dear Frank, I would love to have these displayed for all to see. There are 26 pictures in all and each is roughly1.2mb in size.
    Advise please?

Liam

yeehah1
    30-09-03
    Dear Frank:
    Yes, can you send me a larger version of pic. one ( the one with the machine guns and rockets? What is the difference between the SNEB 68 mm rockets and the Matra 70mm?

Tahnks in advance.
    Liam

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Liam,

I've replied to your email and sent you on the larger picture of the Fouga. I'll post some of those Fouga pics you sent me in the next few days.

Regards,

Frank.

dangermouse
    here you go

yeehah1
    20-10-03
    Dear Dangermouse:
    My God! These are excellent!
    Thank you so very much, this is much more than I could have hoped for. I noticed on the posts that you may have had other shots?
    Please can you post a few more, especially of the machine guns, prehaps a frontal or more profile shot?

Again, thank you. It's good to see the teeth these aircraft had at one point.
    Liam]
    :-patriot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great site dangermouse. Is it yours?
    However the geocites domain as a host has huge limitations on bandwidth and is down for most of the time,once you reach your limit(about 10 vews an hour if you have lots of photos). Also it is not possible to direct link geocities images to a site like this one.
    May I suggest you change your webhosting service?
    IMO can put you in touch with an excellent provider at minimal cost. With an irish military url.
    Failing that you could use something like eircom or iol,but they are troublesome..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

dangermouse
    i'll get some more pics to you 2nite

yeehah1
    21-10-03
    thanks Dangermouse, it's much appreciated. If you have anything else regarding any other Air Corps aircraft we'd all be glad to see them.
    Liam

yeehah1
    21-10-03
    Dangermouse... you have outdone yourself. These are perfect for the model I am building...Fonderie 1/48 scale Fouga. Strange kit, needs a lot of work. I found it odd that they didn't include the parts for the snebs nor the machine guns.
    So, I need to scratch-build them.
    These pictures will go a long way to accomplishing that. Thanks again.
    Liam
    :D

Fox
    DM i have those Pictures at home on My Irish Air Corps CD Rom that was brought out for the 75th Anniversary! Is that where you got them as they are the same shots in the CD Rom! Would you be a darling and put up some more of the Aircraft like the Fouga, Cessna, Marchetti like cock pits etc?

Ihave alway wanted to use one of those Aircraft pics as a background but just cant obtain the pics from the CD.

:flagwave:

Potential Liability yellowjacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alt + Prt Scn Copies the window.

Then paste into any imaging program.
    With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Thread Information