photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photos

I havent noticed a photo thread on I M O so i thought i'd post some of mine .

First three are of a relative of mine who served in the Old I. R. A. and in the Free State Army during the civil war in which he was killed . Other one is of my father in the L.D.F. during the " emergency " otherwise known as the Second World War . He's kneeling , holding a Model 1917 Enfield ' picture was probably take in Dundrum Co Dublin .
    Attached Files

they were tough times to be a 'military man'.

brilliant pictures, thanks for sharing them with us cruisedub.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I didn't realise the LDF wore that style of headdress. I thought the LSF were the only ones with the denim uniform also.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Nice historic pictures, thanks for posting.

Some info with regards the rifle your dad holds can be found here:-

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Lovely pics. Great to see them being saved on computer,the loss of so many of national treasures like these over time is unbelievable over time , thanks for sharing.

You only realise the value when you actually have to go digging for information.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            Lovely pics. Great to see them being saved on computer,the loss of so many of national treasures like these over time is unbelievable over time , thanks for sharing.

You only realise the value when you actually have to go digging for information.
            Thanks for the comment htp , as a matter of interest my relative was last seen alive when he left a barrack's in Clonmel in the company of another Officer . As far as we know they were captured somewhere near Barne and their remain's were found buried in a field in an place called Tullaghmellan , both had been shot multiple time's .

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
              Nice historic pictures, thanks for posting.

Some info with regards the rifle your dad holds can be found here:-

Connaught Stranger.
              Thank's CS , I've already done some research on the M1917 , Here's a picture of one I purchased recently . I know it doesn't look like one but that's because it's been sporterized Whish happened to a lot of M1917 after WW2 . It's a bit rough on the outside , bore is in excelent shape .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	696788

Comment

Originally posted by cruisedub View Post

First three are of a relative of mine who served in the Old I. R. A. and in the Free State Army during the civil war in which he was killed . Other one is of my father in the L.D.F. during the " emergency " otherwise known as the Second World War . He's kneeling , holding a Model 1917 Enfield ' picture was probably take in Dundrum Co Dublin .
                was wondering where in dundrum the picture was taken my grandfather fought in 1916 and was on active service during the W.O.I and was in the 26th bn during the emergency he lived in dundrum for most of his life and was the first rate collector for the area compliments of michael collins who wrote his reference which i still have krustybob

Comment

Originally posted by Krustybob View Post
                  michael collins who wrote his reference which i still have krustybob
                  That could be worth a few bob (sorry - euro)
                  "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

was wondering where in dundrum the picture was taken my grandfather fought in 1916 and was on active service during the W.O.I and was in the 26th bn during the emergency he lived in dundrum for most of his life and was the first rate collector for the area compliments of michael collins who wrote his reference which i still have krustybob
                    I don't know where in Dundmrm it was taken , I've tried matching old pictures with the doorway and window's in the picture of my father but no luck . My father actullay lived in Windy Arbour across the road from the entrance to Dundrum Asylum , next to what was Doyle's garage . A lot of my relative's are buried in St Nahis graveyard just off the Churchtown Road .

Comment

Thanks for the comment htp , as a matter of interest my relative was last seen alive when he left a barrack's in Clonmel in the company of another Officer . As far as we know they were captured somewhere near Barne and their remain's were found buried in a field in an place called Tullaghmellan , both had been shot multiple time's .
                      sorry to hear that cruisedub, how very sad and what a waste of a life, indeed there were lots of good people killed during those times. it's an eye opener about that period for the lot of us and again, thanks for sharing.
                      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Was your granfather's name Charlie murphy by any chance .

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          sorry to hear that cruisedub, how very sad and what a waste of a life, indeed there were lots of good people killed during those times. it's an eye opener about that period for the lot of us and again, thanks for sharing.
                          Some more item's relatin to my relative , I have a lot more and will try to put them up sometime . Click image for larger version

Name:	george 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	696790

Comment

I haven't posted for a few weeks but i'm breaking my silence to say thanks for sharing those pictures. And what a great idea for a thread. I hope there are plenty more contributions.

Good work fella

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

What's even better is the fact that there are some great guys in Ireland who actively spend part of their lives helping people with Irish military history; help people trace ancestors, identify medals, source pictures and even go as far as archiving parts which are relevent to their particular historical interests.

There are so many of them here on IMO that it'd be silly to try name them all, but a few of them have posted on this thread already. Great work guys, it's great a great dedication to the history of our young nation.

Comment

Working...
                              X